View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
Special Member

Oct 2007
Boston, MA

I have a curved screen LG OLED. The curve is so minor, it hardly makes a difference in everyday viewing. When you are sitting at normal distance, you hardly notice it and you will quickly forget its even curved. When watching from an extreme angle, the curve sorta helps you see the opposite corner of screen better.

The only other thing the curve really does is change how lights reflect off the TV. This isn't better or worse, just different based on where you are sitting and what sort of lights hit the TV.

On OLED TV, black is black, because the pixels are shut off. I was watching Robinson Crusoe 3D the other day and when the picture faded to black, my room was pitch black. You couldn't see a thing including the TV. This makes a bigger difference in a sharp detailed picture than pixels count.

That being said if you watch movies in a dark theater like environment, oled is the way to go. If you watch with the windows open during daytime, then you will not be able to see this benefit.

All LG LCD panels are IPS which mean they have poorer contrast than most LCD TVs which are VA. The trade off in contrast allows for better viewing angles at the expense of deep blacks. Think of a sports bar that only watches bright sports content, they need the wide viewing angles so people sitting around the bar can all see the same TV.

Why does LG use IPS vs VA like 95% of other LCD manufacturers, LG invented IPS and owns the trademark on the IPS name. They are still doing some R&D with these TVs as the contrast level is incrementally increasing every year but still nothing close to a VA panel. OLED is infinite contrast since the pixels shut off, IPS is now at 1200:1 (up from 1000:1 a few years back and 800:1 years before that) and VA ranges from 5000:1-7000:1 (up from 3000:1 a few years back). The higher the contrast value, the darker the panel can get.

tldr; for a dark viewing environment, get OLED; for a bright environment, get LCD, both will have wide viewing angles

-------
I would never pay a premium for a non curved screen over a curved screen after owning this one for a year and a half. I've see no practical disadvantage in viewing this TV over 2,100 hours.
Thanks given by:
2112rushfan (01-18-2017), DB5 (01-19-2017), EVERRET (01-19-2017), infiniteCR (02-01-2017), levcore (01-19-2017)