View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #4058
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

*hands up*

B8 here, but don't want to pay for calibration when I can get pretty damned close to those picture goals myself. I'm not ashamed to admit this. I know it's not 100% but it's all about context. It's a TV sat in a living room, with various environmental factors changing throughout the day (lighting, etc). Some stuff like OLED light for SDR material has had to be a compromise to work for both sun streaming in the windows and dim light in the evening. If I had a dedicated theatre room, I could well convince myself it would then become worth it where pinpoint accurate settings like target nits would work all of the time.

Look, I know I'm not going to be able to get complete accuracy on luma levels and chroma balance by eye but I believe a combination of eyesight, experience, advice from others can get close enough as dammit for my viewing conditions. I also trust my eyes more than cheap calibration tech aimed at the amateur market.

It's up to an individual to decide for themselves really based on their individual circumstances and preferences. The only thing that annoys me are the handful of people here who act like if you're TV isn't professionally calibrated, your opinions aren't worth salt. I'm not pointing fingers but I think it'll be obvious who they are.

I'm not saying I'll never go for professional calibration either. But why is amateur calibration such a bad word? Often the amateurs can give strong work, the difference is one is the hobbyist, the other does it as a job.

Last edited by oddbox83; 04-16-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Thanks given by:
jibucha (04-16-2019), Thorbiddles (04-16-2019)