View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #4059
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
There are two different versions of it in the TVs which people often get confused. I know I just had to Google it to make sure I was using the corrent names for each just now.

for the x8 series at least (I have the B8), you want dynamic contrast turned off, there's no need whatsoever for it on an OLED. HDR10 inputs however will give you an additional "dynamic tone mapping" option. You might want to turn that on so you get a sort of quasi HDR10+ with the TV doing the processing.

If evoll is correct, then to get the same on an x7 OLED, you need to have dynamic contrast turned on, but I suspect only when inputting HDR10 and leave it off for every other input.
Yes this is exactly what I was getting at, 2018 has its own dtm option and the 2017 is the d.c. low setting only in the HDR settings. The 2016 doesn't have that dynamic tone mapping option but I have found the ub820 works very good for the 2016 OLED with it's optimizer bringing back those blown out highlights on high nit movies. On my 2018 oled I use both the ub820 (HDR) and oppo 203 (DV).