View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 09:55 AM   #1
Power Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele
Default DVDs with unconventional features?

The DVD standard had some features that were supported by nearly all the players at the time but were extremely uncommon and I honestly can't even remember what titles might've featured all of them.

One of these was Custom stop screens; The Platinum Collection Neon Genesis Evangelion DVDs were the only DVDs I remember coming across that actually featured these. If you pressed stop during playback, you would instead see a custom background graphic instead of the player default. Unfortunately I haven't had those discs in ages and I don't think any blu-ray player supports this anymore, but it's still something you can check for by just popping the disc in a DVD-ROM drive since they're stored in their own folder.

The other was the pan & scan option; even blu-ray players still seem to offer a pan & scan option in the TV aspect ratio settings but more often than not, it doesn't do anything different from the 4:3 letterbox setting, but I do remember coming across at least one disc that actually cropped the sides from the 1.78:1 picture to fill the screen.

Does anyone remember with certainy any titles that actually used these features?