View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 04:45 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2019
Rosebud Motel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeshi666 View Post
The DVD standard had some features that were supported by nearly all the players at the time but were extremely uncommon and I honestly can't even remember what titles might've featured all of them.

One of these was Custom stop screens; The Platinum Collection Neon Genesis Evangelion DVDs were the only DVDs I remember coming across that actually featured these. If you pressed stop during playback, you would instead see a custom background graphic instead of the player default. Unfortunately I haven't had those discs in ages and I don't think any blu-ray player supports this anymore, but it's still something you can check for by just popping the disc in a DVD-ROM drive since they're stored in their own folder.
I had two Sony DVD players, and both of these would display the DVD cover on the screen when you pressed "STOP". However, this would only happen with DVDs released by Sony. Occasionally, the DVD cover that was displayed would have a different image than what was actually on the DVD cover. Initial cover art, perhaps? This feature didn't occur on my GE and Insignia players.

My Sony Blu-ray players don't do this. I kinda miss it.