View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #26
Power Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Riot View Post
I get what you're saying, but you know, these gender-specific shows really only add fuel to the fire in their current state, and help build unrealistic expectations on real-life men and women alike. It puts pressure on both of us to reach these ideals for ourselves, telling us how we should look for others to find us attractive, and moreso for women as, like it or not, it's a male-dominated industry, so mostly, they play by "our" rules. This reaches so much further than anime, but that's a different discussion for another time and place, as I want to stay on topic here.

I'm not saying we can't have physically attractive people in these shows, but show some restraint for pete's sake, and make them more than just objects for us to look at and give sexist comments to. That just sends out the wrong message of how to act as a basic human being, and frankly it's just condescending and shallow.
Personally, I don't have a problem so much with the presence of gender specific entertainment, but moreso with the lack of variety in entertainment. I would say that I too would like a few more movies, anime and TV shows featuring characters of more ordinary or "realistic" physical appeal, and not just for the more "positive" message they promote, but just something different to look at, and a different way of looking at beauty in general. There's this old anime show from the 80s called the The Kabocha Wine, a romance anime about a somewhat big boned girl and a really short runt of a boy and it was just a nice visual contrast to what was out there at the time, for variety's sake.