View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 02:48 AM   #138
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2017
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
No, of course not. It just felt like one poster was being ganged up on because he dared to disagree.

I disagree with you about the colour of the skies in those caps, but that's OK, right?
Okay, I'll grant you that some people were rather harsh in their responses to him, but I don't think that I was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
In all other respects I think the Criterion looks better. But unless someone can say for sure that the film was meant to look teal, I'm going to assume something is awry.

It happens too many times that older films are remastered to a modern grading standard and wind up looking suspiciously different to the way they had before.

Teal and orange are pervasive today -- was that the case in the 60s and 70s?
I can't say with any authority what films looked like in the 60s and 70s because I wasn't around, so all I can go by are VHS tapes and old DVDs that I've seen. And using those as a benchmark as to how films should look really isn't a reliable method. I'm much more inclined to believe that these newer 4K remasters are far more accurate than any of those are.

That being said, I know there are releases out there that have been given weird colour gradings (the infamous yellow version of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly being one) but I just don't see that here.

In looking at the blu-ray.com caps, which I consider to be more reliable than DVD Beaver, there is nothing that looks teal to me. Look at this cap for example:

There are various shades of white in that picture that look like they should. If there was a teal wash on this transfer, I would expect her coat and the walls to have a bluish tint to them but I'm not seeing that at all.