View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
Compression Engineer

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfoton View Post
drmpeg,
I asked this in the "Judgement Day" thread but I'm sure this was overcome by the amount of posts.

As HD takes hold and begins to eclipse DVD, how will compressionists be trained? There appears to be more choices than ever for HD. Which codec is the most forgiving? Which provides the best results in the least amount of effort? Which provides the best results when you have all the money and time in the world?

Thanks
To be honest, I don't have much exposure to compressionists, since my background is almost entirely in real-time encoders for broadcast applications.

As for codecs, it's very difficult to compare VC-1 against H.264 in a pure apples to apples fashion. The problem is that you can only evaluate encoder implementations of each standard. There are many algorithms, techniques and tricks (also known as "secret sauce") that are outside of the codec standard that encoder developers can put in their product.

The best encoders are the result of a lot of time and effort. That's why Microsoft's VC-1 encoder does so well. MS was willing to spend the time and effort to make a great authoring encoder. Of course, since VC-1 was pretty much rejected in the broadcast space, MS more or less had to create a good authoring encoder since blue laser was the last large segment they could enter.

In the H.264 space, many of the very best compression folks are working on real-time broadcast encoders and blue laser authoring encoders are pretty much being ignored by these companies. There's just not enough volume to justify the R&D (one encoder can create a lot of titles). We're lucky that at least a few companies (like Panasonic) were willing to develop an H.264 authoring encoder. BTW, Panasonic was very active in the development of the H.264 standard. Almost all of the the High Profile features (like 8x8 transform and scaling matrices) were suggested by them.

Ron