View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #17845
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefractiveIndex View Post
French court rules Steam games must be able to be resold

This is going to have massive ramifications for the sale of all digital goods in the EU if unsuccessfully appealed including iTunes and other EST storefronts.

If reselling digital films undercuts the studios and storefronts badly enough then we may see studios having a lot less enthusiasm for digital film sales in the future.

I know you could say the same about selling used physical media, but there is a big difference when you can dump your entire digital collection onto the marketplace with a few clicks along with the fact that digital films can often be brought very cheap or through free codes and this could devalue the sale of new purchases tremendously. Of course, this is just speculating, but this could get very interesting indeed.
I find this news to be greatly amusing. I would like to see this decision upheld and expanded to include all digital content and for it to become the law globally. I feel that purchases should include the right to resell the item.

It will be fun to see if this court decision has any legs and where it goes with them or whether an appellate court cuts this decision off at the knees.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-20-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (09-20-2019)