View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #20

Nov 2007
Default Naxos

It should be made clear at the outset in discussions like this and in marketing info such as the product description on Amazon that these classical titles were originally recorded, produced and released by Naxos, a budget classical label, as SACD and DVD-A in 2003-2004. The BDs are upmixed (5.0 or 5.1 to 7.1) and up-sampled (48KHz to 96KHz, at least for the Grieg and I presume the rest also) tracks, whichever way you want to spin it. It's not a big deal and I don't see doing it this way is the way forward. The folks at sa-cd.net don't think much of it either. You could play the Naxos SACD in the 60 GB PS3 and it gives you 24-bit 176KHz PCM and the receiver upmixes it to 7.1.

There is no need for three parallel uncompressed (PCM) and losslessly encoded (Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD MA) tracks, except as a novelty and demo disk. Routine inclusion of more than one merely perpetuates the myth that they are fundamentally different. We don't need to have movie BDs with parallel encodes in mpeg-2, VC-1 and AVC do we?

For music-only BDs, PCM and dts-HD MA or dts should cover most people's needs at present and the foreseeable future. Having dts-HD MA only isn't such a good idea at present and there is space and bandwidth to fit about two hours of 7.1 96/24 PCM and dts-HD MA on a BD-25. At the end of the day it's about the actual musical content that matters most, not the codec, spec or gimmicks.

I'm all for classical music on BD but we need the major premium labels to come onboard to make any real impact, because they have the very best artists and a large catalogue together.