View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 03:56 AM   #236

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
Good point.

But, to give the ‘studio’ part of the system a little break, the engineering folk would really like to be able to have available pro (reference) monitors (not so important for consumer devices) capable of displaying the entire BT.2020 gamut for precision color grading and mastering. These have yet to be built.
The mastering display color volume SEI message was recently added to HEVC which was proposed by Movielabs and based on SMPTE 2086. It includes metadata that specifies the color primaries and dynamic range of the reference display that was used to master the video (so that very wide color spaces can be used). As for Rec. 2020 reference displays I have heard that they will start to come out next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
For consumer devices, you could have a 4KBD spec that includes accepting data encoded into the wider B.T. 2020 specification but, essentially just display an *expanded/bright* rec.709 gamut until the technology advances in the consumer space for complete BT.2020 coverage.
If 4K Blu-ray supports wide color gamut video I think it will include metadata so that it can be shown on current UHDTVs/HDTVs. My guess is that 4K Blu-ray will be as backward compatible as possible with the exception of HDCP 2.2 which might be a requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teazle View Post
Anyone know of a roadmap for H.266 or whatever it will be called? Like to see it on the next disc format.
The second version of HEVC should be officially released in 2 or 3 months. The second version will include 12-bit profiles, several features for wide color gamut video, and several features for HDR video.
Thanks given by:
Teazle (08-11-2014)