View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 05:59 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyloren View Post
Without pointing fingers, I saw a video with a YouTuber heading out to various stores buying up all the product of this "new" "limited" release -- with the clear intent to flip it and make a profit. What's your take on this? I know it's the norm now.

I'm of the mindset that if you want to drive around to every single Target, Walmart and Best Buy to buy a bunch of something in order to sell it for a profit and you have the time and means to do it, go for it... BUT! There should be some kind of limit per store.

For example, let's say Marvel comes out with Black Series figures of all the Avengers. Every store gets a general stock of all the characters, but Target gets a limited version of Iron-Man, Walmart gets a limit version of Captain America, etc, etc. In my opinion those limited versions should be limited to 1 or 2 a person. There's no reason why someone should be able to walk in and buy the whole stock of a limited release just because they can.
while not a totally bad idea, that'd be up to the stores to set those parameters. and if there are no parameters, then people will continue to buy all they can to later sell at a higher price and make a profit.

it may be immoral, but it's not illegal (in most places). once you purchase something, you can do with it as you wish, as long as it's legal. and reselling something at a higher price is not illegal. and as long as there are people who are willing to pay those prices, there will always be people selling at those prices. buyers drive the price. if they continue to pay higher and higher prices, then the seller will continue to raise the prices until it reaches a maximum at which people are willing to pay.

but it does suck for those that can't get to the store at open on release day to pick one up. if they get there later in the day or the next day or the next week, then they may be out of luck on finding what they're looking for. some people know this and they take advantage. but again, if people are willing to pay higher prices, others are willing to sell at those prices.