View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 11:04 PM   #32
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Put in simplest terms, it's a type of game where you play through the same set of randomly generated levels trying to get through them all and beat a final boss. Die at any point, and you start over at the first level.

Some like Binding of Issac you start completely from scratch each time and just unlock new items that can drop on future runs. Others like Hades you unlock some weapons or other items, level up your character etc. slowly so that future runs become easier.

I've gotten to accepting I just don't like them as I get bored quickly of replaying the same levels (even with randomized layouts and enemies) over and over. Especially once it gets to a point that the early levels are easy and becomes tedious to play through them again just to get another shot at whatever level/boss I died on.
I could be wrong, or mixing things up with Deathloop, but I'm guessing you would not start completely from scratch here (with your character at least) since you're supposed to continuously uncover the story slowly.

I never really knew what his genre was as I've never played any games in it that I know of. Not quite as excited about it now as I was before, as I'm not keen on having to start all the way at the beginning again. The game might not be terribly long, which would make it better at least. Deathloop at least is different (and technically not rougelike I imagine), as you only start back at the beginning of that particular hit/mission.