View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 12:37 AM   #2543

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by charsi View Post
Could someone help an audio novice please :

i'm looking at the Klipsch Black Reference Theater Pack 5.1 Surround Sound System and possibly pairing that with Denon AVR-S740H Receiver. First time buyer of any home theatre audio equip and completely lost!
The maximum acoustic output, sometimes called maximum Sound Pressure Level [SPL], "volume," or "loudness") specified by Klipsch for the subwoofer is 108 dB, and that is probably at 1 meter away from the sub. In a typical room (] different than outdoors or in an anechoic chamber), you will lose about 3 dB for every doubling of distance, so, if you are sitting 2 meters (a little less than 7 feet) away from the subwoofer, you would get only about 105 dB from the subwoofer at the loudest. For people who like their movies at theater SPL, 105 dB, while O.K. for the main speakers at maximum, is 10 dB short for the subwoofer, which needs 115 dB for the loudest special effects, at Reference Level (professional theater or control room maximum).

This might or might not be a problem. I play most movies at 5 dB below Reference, which is about what THX urges for the maximum in my size room, due to early reflections fooling the brain into thinking the sound is of higher SPL than it really is in a home size room. Most people play at 10 dB to (even) 20 dB below Reference. That may be what Klipsch is banking on. At, say, 15 dB below Reference, at, maybe, 7 feet away, the sub you are looking at would put out 5 dB more than needed. At about 14 feet away, you would have about 2 dB more than needed for maximum SPL at 14 feet.

Don't get me wrong; I love Klipsch. My Home Theater (and music listening room) uses two Klipschorns for the main right and left speakers, a Belle Klipsch for the center channel, and Klipsch Heresy IIs for surrounds.

The Denon AVR-S740H Receiver is fine, due to the modest power the main speakers will accept (the subwoofer has its own amp built in). You will have 2 more amp channels than you need right now, but maybe you will add two more small speakers for two more channels later.

Last edited by garyrc; 06-11-2019 at 12:54 AM.