View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Terrence View Post
I think this guide is excellent, but I do have an issue with just this one point. Corner placement will not always guarantee the sub will boom, it really depends highely on the geometry of the room itself, and where you are placed within it. It is quite likely you could place a sub in a corner, sit yourself in a low pressure zone like the middle of the room, and never hear a single resonant frequency from the sub. Corner placement will make a sub boom because it is exciting a room mode just like wind excites a resonant point when you blow over a bottle top. Corner placement excites all of your rooms modes, but it also supports low frequency output which is very important for keeping cone travel, and therefor distortion down. Corner placement will not make subwoofers that are deep bass deficent suddenly able to produce deep bass. All it will do is reinforce what bass it can produce.

According to Floyd Toole's research you should always place a sub in a corner, and use equalization to deal with audible peaks in the subs frequency response at that position. His theory is to place the sub where it performs the best, and equalize out the problems this placement causes. It doesn't make any difference whether the sub fires downward or outward, at the frequencies the sub covers, the wavelengths are so long it makes absolutely no difference what side the driver is on. Corner placement gives you additional output without any penalty on the subwoofer amp. Its free power that you can use to decrease distortion to both your driver and your sub amp directly.
Thank you for your comments. I cannot disagree with you. I will try to modify the paragraph by adding a few additional clarifying statements. I would also like to state that in my experience, corner placement of large subwoofers in several different rooms have worked well with movies, but when I listen to high quality music, it tends to make the music a bit boomy and when I move it away from the walls, it works better. That is the reason why I said in my conclusion that "Getting the optimum bass response from a subwoofer is a tricky business. There are no easy solutions. Donít be afraid to experiment".