Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$15.50

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

Oculus (Blu-ray)
$6.99

Some Like It Hot (Blu-ray)
$19.59

Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$15.99

A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Alpha (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.59

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (after you have seen it)
One Star 10 2.04%
Two Stars 24 4.90%
Three Stars 71 14.49%
Four Stars 210 42.86%
Five Stars 175 35.71%
Voters: 490. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #341
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp404 View Post
I agree that its extremely dated and very tame since it's a tv movie, but Tim Curry was not the only great thing. The acting was great, the special effects were excellent, and the direction was good too.
Yes, the kids were all very good.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:20 PM   #342
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyOfDarknessAW View Post
I never looked at it being a TV movie as a negative mark against it.
I'm just saying, there has never been an actual theatrical film version of IT before. So think about the advantages that they could do with adapting the novel now that they have the right tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp404 View Post
I agree that its extremely dated and very tame since it's a tv movie, but Tim Curry was not the only great thing. The acting was great, the special effects were excellent, and the direction was good too.
I wouldn't say they were that good, but they're decent for a TV mini series or movie, whatever you want to call it. Like they were decent enough to where I did at one point thought this movie first came out in theaters. But when I first found out it was a 4 hour TV adaptation that came out in the 1990s, I was thinking, for a 90s movie I expect a little more. If this came out in the 1970s or early 1980, it would have been perfectly acceptable. But come on, it's not really that hard to top the original. It's hard to top Tim Curry's performance, but the other actors and special effects... not so much.

Last edited by CyberpunkCentral; 07-13-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #343
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2015
Canada

The TV version is nearly unwatchable, very boring (except for Tim Curry), and when your child actors are better than your adult actors, you know you have trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
My issue with the ending of IT had less to do with the supposed perversity of the content and more to do with the fact that I thought it was just plain dumb.
Well, it is an ending written by Stephen King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike View Post
He needs to be a clown, a clown kids would come to and not be terrified of straight off
Sure this may be shot for atmosphere but it's a little too on the nose
I dunno, I feel like clowns are pretty much a "canonically scary thing" and "generically scary thing" these days, due to the cultural influence of It and other things. I don't think you can go anywhere where clowns are played straight anymore; i.e., where there are clowns and their purpose is actually to amuse people and make them have fun, in a non-scary, non-threatening, way.

Maybe I'm wrong, and, heck, maybe it's always been this way; I wasn't around when It was written, and I also wasn't quite around when the miniseries came out, but I feel like maybe even in those days, a clown was already an inherently feared thing, whether or not it dwelled in sewers and murdered children.

That being said, I myself am not afraid of clowns in general, or dolls and toys and such; that has never been a phobia of mine (not that I'm trying to be cool or badass by saying so; I will willingly acknowledge I am unilaterally disgusted by and find abhorrent all insect life on this planet, and, frankly, effectively all invertebrates in general, to be technical). However, I know far more people who "hate clowns" and "wouldn't go to the circus because there might be clowns lurking there" than I do people like me in that regard.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:07 PM   #344
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2009
UK

I've just come home from work to find that people are slagging off Stephen King. What is wrong with the universe?

Anyway, It is my all-time favourite novel and I've got no beef with the last hundred pages. It's bonkers but that's the beauty of it.
Thanks given by:
returnofthemack (07-21-2016), Troll2fan (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 11:28 PM   #345
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
I've just come home from work to find that people are slagging off Stephen King. What is wrong with the universe?

Anyway, It is my all-time favourite novel and I've got no beef with the last hundred pages. It's bonkers but that's the beauty of it.
Thanks given by:
dallywhitty (07-13-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 12:50 AM   #346
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
san diego california

One of my fav horror movies.
Loved the mini series.

Cant wait for this
Glad its a two part movie
Old 07-14-2016, 01:53 AM   #347
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiserfan View Post
Yeah, sometimes King writes some really perverted stuff. I can't remember if the short story was in Skeleton Crew or Nightmares and Dreamscapes but there was one where this boy in a library
[Show spoiler]gets molested/raped.
I started reading his books when I was in early middle school and remember thinking wtf.
Oh yeah, that's The Library Policeman, one of the novellas collected in Four Past Midnight. I read that when I was like 10 or 11, I remember being weirded out and also mildly aroused by the long and detailed description (hey, I was a kid, don't judge me too harshly).
Old 07-14-2016, 03:48 AM   #348

Feb 2014
Illinois

I'm just finding out that this is in production! I remember when it was still in DH. I'm here now.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:18 AM   #349
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post

Same here. The ending is good imo. Fits the the whole child-like-wonder-theme very well that is present throughout the entire novel.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #350
Banned

Apr 2015
The Netherlands

First half of the miniseries is very good, the second half... not so much. That dumb spider thing made me lol.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #351
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Germany

Thanks given by:
Himmel (07-14-2016), JeffTheMovieGuy (07-14-2016), Monterey Jack (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #352
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talleyrand View Post
Well, it is an ending written by Stephen King.
Yeah, I love the guy but he does ramble at times. I sometimes think he just chugs along thinking 'eh, an ending will come to me' until the pile of finished pages gets so huge he has to just wrap it up whether anything comes to him or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talleyrand View Post
That being said, I myself am not afraid of clowns in general, or dolls and toys and such; that has never been a phobia of mine (not that I'm trying to be cool or badass by saying so;...
Do we really live in a world where 'I'm not afraid of dolls or clowns' might be mistaken for an attempt to sound like a badass?

Yikes
Old 07-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #353
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2015
Canada

Quote:
Yeah, I love the guy but he does ramble at times. I sometimes think he just chugs along thinking 'eh, an ending will come to me' until the pile of finished pages gets so huge he has to just wrap it up whether anything comes to him or not.
At least he acknowledges in interviews that is is a problem of is. That being said, I've never particularly minded the It ending. The worst is for sure Gerald's Game imo.

Quote:
Do we really live in a world where 'I'm not afraid of dolls or clowns' might be mistaken for an attempt to sound like a badass?
lol
Old 07-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #354
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Rock View Post
First half of the miniseries is very good, the second half... not so much. That dumb spider thing made me lol.
I didn't mind it showing what I believe was it's true form. The thing was always some kind of monster or demon. Some are calling it an alien but I don't recall it coming from another planet. If anything it's most likely from Mid-World (The Dark Tower). I'm one of those who believes that creature near the end of book 7 in that shack that can change and trick people is "IT" since King's novels throughout his career are tied to each in ways.
Thanks given by:
Jegærn (07-15-2016), Troll2fan (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #355
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Germany

Old 07-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #356
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Germany

Paul Bunyan statue and the Losers' Club

Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (07-15-2016), Ruemorgue10 (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #357

Dec 2011
Texas

Does anybody know the timeline that they are going to use? In the novel it was 1958 when they were kids,and 1985 when they were adults. I truly pray that they don't modernize it and have them be children in the 80's and adults present day. I'm thinking that's what they are doing by that Betty Ripsom missing poster. The DOB is 1974 and if I remember the novel correctly(I haven't read it since the 90's),she was Beverly's classmate who was missing. I hate it when they do things like that-the Carrie remake comes to mind. Then they will bring in cell phones,social media etc. that WERE NOT in the novel

Never mind. I just read that they are children in 1989-which will probably make them my age-I'm 37. I am not pleased,but what can one say? They always have the mindset that audiences won't relate to stories that take place at earlier times. Won't that change most of the old time horror movie references in the novel. Like I was A Teenage Werewolf,The Mummy etc.

Last edited by JenSilvas79; 07-15-2016 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Found out for myself
Old 07-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #358

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSilvas79 View Post
Does anybody know the timeline that they are going to use? In the novel it was 1958 when they were kids,and 1985 when they were adults. I truly pray that they don't modernize it and have them be children in the 80's and adults present day. I'm thinking that's what they are doing by that Betty Ripsom missing poster. The DOB is 1974 and if I remember the novel correctly(I haven't read it since the 90's),she was Beverly's classmate who was missing. I hate it when they do things like that-the Carrie remake comes to mind. Then they will bring in cell phones,social media etc. that WERE NOT in the novel
Yeah the scenes when they were kids are taking place in 1989 and the scenes as adults will probably be 2018/19. Face it by modernizing the story they'll reach a wider audience. Besides that's what most remakes do.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #359
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSilvas79 View Post
Never mind. I just read that they are children in 1989-which will probably make them my age-I'm 37. I am not pleased,but what can one say? They always have the mindset that audiences won't relate to stories that take place at earlier times. Won't that change most of the old time horror movie references in the novel. Like I was A Teenage Werewolf,The Mummy etc.
To be fair, though, to stay completely faithful to the novel they would have to essentially make two different period films. Pulling off one period film can be tricky enough without trying to intertwine two.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:55 PM   #360
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

I really hope they do like they did in the original miniseries and keep Bill Skarsgard away from the children actors so they can get a genuinely terrified performance out of them.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies