Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
13 hrs ago
True Grit (Blu-ray)
$5.00
8 hrs ago
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00
 
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99
 
Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.96
 
Jumanji: The Next Level (Blu-ray)
$20.00
8 hrs ago
1917 (Blu-ray)
$20.75
 
Doctor Sleep (Blu-ray)
$13.00
17 min ago
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$13.36
 
Battleship 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.80
8 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2016, 07:24 AM   #1
Gamzilla234 Gamzilla234 is offline
New Member
 
Mar 2013
Question Superman 2: The Richard Donner Cut has an extended version?

So I recently bought the RDC of Superman 2 on vudu. Everything was going good till I notice something. There were scenes that weren't a part if it before. I plugged in my bluray of the film and the scenes werent there.

One new scene being the arrival of the three villians in the small town. Ursa beats guy at arm wrestling. Zod throws guy through wall. Non kills little boy. In the bluray, the arrival is skipped and goes straight to the military advancing on them.

I know its not an entirely new scene but some was either seen in the Lester version or was in the tv cuts. But the footage looks remastered and the kid has been dubbed over by a less high pitched voice.

There were a few other scenes or shots that are not on the bluray.

So the bluray according to here and the disc, is 116 minutes long.
While the digital version is 122 minutes long
6 minutes longer than the disc.

So did Warner Bros mess up and put up the wrong version of the cut on digital or is it the other way around?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
kidglov3s (12-12-2016), rubystone356 (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 07:38 AM   #2
motorheadache95 motorheadache95 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
motorheadache95's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Default

That's interesting. I can tell you that the "mistake" was definitely in the digital version though, as the scene of Nod killing the boy would absolutely NOT be in the Richard Donner Cut. It was a deleted scene from Lester's cut, and Donner specifically mentions it with distaste somewhere in the extras.

It looks like they must have just made a new extended version of the film on Vudu or something.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Bolty (12-12-2016), kidglov3s (12-12-2016), Lionel Horsepackage (05-27-2018), StingingVelvet (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
rubystone356 rubystone356 is offline
Power Member
 
Oct 2007
1
39
1090
177
495
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamzilla234 View Post
So I recently bought the RDC of Superman 2 on vudu. Everything was going good till I notice something. There were scenes that weren't a part if it before. I plugged in my bluray of the film and the scenes werent there.

One new scene being the arrival of the three villians in the small town. Ursa beats guy at arm wrestling. Zod throws guy through wall. Non kills little boy. In the bluray, the arrival is skipped and goes straight to the military advancing on them.

I know its not an entirely new scene but some was either seen in the Lester version or was in the tv cuts. But the footage looks remastered and the kid has been dubbed over by a less high pitched voice.

There were a few other scenes or shots that are not on the bluray.

So the bluray according to here and the disc, is 116 minutes long.
While the digital version is 122 minutes long
6 minutes longer than the disc.

So did Warner Bros mess up and put up the wrong version of the cut on digital or is it the other way around?
very good question.

Jacob
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
kidglov3s (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
Bolty Bolty is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Bolty's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl
49
98
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadache95 View Post
That's interesting. I can tell you that the "mistake" was definitely in the digital version though, as the scene of Nod killing the boy would absolutely NOT be in the Richard Donner Cut. It was a deleted scene from Lester's cut, and Donner specifically mentions it with distaste somewhere in the extras.

It looks like they must have just made a new extended version of the film on Vudu or something.
100% true. I remember him mentioning he didn't like that scene in the commentary.

I am a believer that there is a third better cut of Superman II that would combine the Donner Cut with more from the Lester cut.
But Non killing that kid doesn't belong in any cut of the movie-- it's dumb.

I'd bet that it was maybe part of the Donner rough cut -- where they were deciding what should be in or out and after seeing the rough cut Donner said, "cut this and this and this."
Perhaps when they gave the cut to Vudu they gave them the wrong original rough cut version.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #5
Gamzilla234 Gamzilla234 is offline
New Member
 
Mar 2013
Default

I forgot to mention that this probably isn't just vudu.

If you search up Superman 2: The Richard Donner Cut 122 minutes, you will get a list of websites with digital downloads of this version available.

Even youtube has it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:59 AM   #6
Bolty Bolty is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Bolty's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl
49
98
2
Default

6 minutes is a good deal of accidental footage to include. Is it all from the "East Houston, Idaho" section?
Is it one long section or a few smaller bits?

Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
kidglov3s kidglov3s is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
kidglov3s's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
14
2123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamzilla234 View Post
I forgot to mention that this probably isn't just vudu.

If you search up Superman 2: The Richard Donner Cut 122 minutes, you will get a list of websites with digital downloads of this version available.

Even youtube has it.
I'm a little curious if this is what they've been showing on cable for years. I remember that in 2010 Donner Cut was what was shown for Superman II on AMC. I wonder if they didn't pad the movie slightly to meet TV standards for content per hour, and that's what we're seeing on Vudu. There's often a connection to what Warner gives Vudu and what they distribute for cable (unfortunately in the area of aspect ratio, so many scope Warner movies 1.78:1 on Vudu, though not Supes 2 Donner).
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #8
Robgoblin79 Robgoblin79 is offline
Active Member
 
Robgoblin79's Avatar
 
Sep 2014
Asheville, NC
1
568
Default

From a character standpoint I can see Non doing this. They were hurting little children on Krypton weren't they?

But yeah, it feels cheap and unnecessary. And it's not directed very well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #9
Bolty Bolty is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Bolty's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl
49
98
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robgoblin79 View Post
From a character standpoint I can see Non doing this. They were hurting little children on Krypton weren't they?

But yeah, it feels cheap and unnecessary. And it's not directed very well.
He basically throws the red light from the top of the cop car a mile and kills the kid causing an explosion(?!?)
Why is there an explosion?

I guess they put in an explosion because they weren't going to show a close up of the kids head getting caved in! It's dumb! LOL
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
kidglov3s (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #10
WilsonBros WilsonBros is offline
Special Member
 
Jul 2009
10
3
Default

I have the Restored International Cut which painstakingly put the longest TV version of the movie back together, and it includes the killing of the kid, along with the awful bit with a distraught Beth Porter missing the game on TV.

This was only ever available to the select few on DVD, so unless the copy you've seen on Vudu was an unauthorised construct from that, I'm stumped as to what the Hell the copy you have seen was.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #11
ditcin ditcin is offline
Power Member
 
ditcin's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
NY
16
587
1
Default

The scene where the kid is killed was also in the ABC televised longer version.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #12
WilsonBros WilsonBros is offline
Special Member
 
Jul 2009
10
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post
The scene where the kid is killed was also in the ABC televised longer version.
Yep, certainly was. The Restored International Cut is a remastered version of the movie from when it played on Canada's Channel 12, which was the longest cut of the movie, more so than even the one which premiered on ABC. Ireland also saw the long edition played on TV in the 90s, as did Australia.

I was part of the (almost) militant group of fans campaigning to get a restored version of Donner's material released, and the RIC was used as a tool for generating interest in the project.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
TylerDurden389 (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 10:14 AM   #13
kidglov3s kidglov3s is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
kidglov3s's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
14
2123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBros View Post
This was only ever available to the select few on DVD, so unless the copy you've seen on Vudu was an unauthorised construct from that, I'm stumped as to what the Hell the copy you have seen was.
Whatever it is it's definitely part of what is hosted on Vudu and elsewhere as the Donner cut, in scope/HD no less.




Last edited by kidglov3s; 12-12-2016 at 10:20 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (10-21-2018), Dragon Ranger (12-12-2016), Lionel Horsepackage (05-27-2018), TylerDurden389 (12-12-2016), WilsonBros (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #14
WilsonBros WilsonBros is offline
Special Member
 
Jul 2009
10
3
Default

Then that is an incredibly obscure copy they are screening.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #15
Bolty Bolty is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Bolty's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl
49
98
2
Default

The Donner Cut -- featuring the worst discarded scenes from the Lester cut!! Now including more slapstick from the Metropolis battle! LOL
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Batman1980 (12-12-2016), Lionel Horsepackage (05-27-2018)
Old 12-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #16
Dragon Ranger Dragon Ranger is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Dragon Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2015
252
85
Default

I really want to see The Restored International Cut; it's a bit of a Holy Grail for me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #17
Bolty Bolty is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Bolty's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl
49
98
2
Default

But it doesn't include any Brando material, right?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #18
Dragon Ranger Dragon Ranger is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Dragon Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2015
252
85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
But it doesn't include any Brando material, right?
As far as I am aware no; the Brando footage was not put back until the Donner cut.

Here is a link to an in depth review of the Restored International Cut and the differences with the theatrical version.

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movi...p2-RIC-review1
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Bolty (12-12-2016), Clark Kent (10-21-2018)
Old 12-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #19
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
303
1861
146
24
69
Default

One of the multiple things that turn me off about streaming is these weird anomalies you can't do anything about. Donner hated that scene yet here it is in the Donner cut thousands of people own.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #20
Panama Jack Panama Jack is online now
Expert Member
 
Panama Jack's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
SLC
1
504
299
44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
6 minutes is a good deal of accidental footage to include. Is it all from the "East Houston, Idaho" section?
Is it one long section or a few smaller bits?

Thanks!
I'm wondering about this too. That newly added scene is not 6 minutes long, so what else have they included in this version?

I know that Warner replaced the "WB" title card that's at the beginning of the digital versions of Superman The Movie earlier this year. But based on this it appears that's not all they did. Huh. Very interesting.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
extended cut, goof, richard donner cut, superman 2

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:19 PM.