Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Noir Archive - Volume 1: 1944-1954 (Blu-ray)
$36.68

Khrustalyov, My Car! (Blu-ray)
$33.03
15 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (Blu-ray)
$20.99
16 hrs ago
The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ralph Breaks the Internet (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ex Machina 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.00
7 hrs ago
Crazy Rich Asians (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Predator (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #41
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
Cover is very bold, but I kind of like it. Awesome that Downhill is included too.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #42
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2012
Georgia

It's great that Downhill is included with this release of The Lodger. Two Hitchcock films for the price of one.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #43
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2015

Great news about Downhill being included.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #44

May 2013

Downhill is one of his lesser silents so probably wouldn't have sold that well anyway, The Lodger on the other hand is aces. Still kudos to them for making this a Novello double-bill. Hopefully Blackmail is next!
Thanks given by:
G. Costanz (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #45
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi92 View Post
Seems more likely they would bundle them as extras with more popular titles than release individual spine numbers. But who knows?
Good call
Old 03-15-2017, 11:22 PM   #46

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
I LOVE that cover art
Old 03-15-2017, 11:40 PM   #47
Special Member

Sep 2014
California

I agree! The cover is great.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:01 AM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

I wonder what this release means for the prospect of getting "The Hitchcock Nine", the 9 silent films that were restored a few years back, on BD. This gives us two of them, but if Blackmail is released separately as well, that will leave the other 6, which are all super obscure. I worry they might never get released as a result. I won't deny I was hoping for a boxset of the whole Hitchcock nine, since I fear that may be the only way we'll ever get the lesser ones.
Thanks given by:
davidsal (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:01 AM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Unfortunately Downhill isn't that good:

It’s a mostly uninspired and clichéd example of a director paying his dues and working his way up as Ivor Novello’s school hero Roddy finds himself on the road to ruin when Mabel at Ye Olde Bunne Shoppe makes a ‘serious charge’ that she’s got a bun of her own in the oven. Naturally it was Roddy’s pal Tim, the vicar’s son, who done the deed (you only have to look at Novello to know that he’s so obviously batting for the other team that even Liza Minnelli wouldn’t marry him), but he’s the one whose family has the money and rather than risk his pal’s scholarship takes the blame and finds himself on a downward spiral that involves working as a chorus boy in a West End show and a gigolo dancing with manly women in a Paris nightclub for 50 francs a dance before finding himself delirious among the wharf rats and white actresses in unconvincing blackface in Marseilles before a reconciliation.

If that sounds suspiciously like an episode of Michael Palin and Terry Jones’ Ripping Yarns, it’s tempting to believe that it’s because this was one of their influences – when he is expelled, Roddy even forlornly asks the headmaster “Won’t I be able to play for the Old Boys?” (at 34, Novello might even be too old for the Old Boys even if he weren’t disgraced). At times you suspect that Hitchcock is trying to subvert both the material and his star’s matinee idol status (one sequence has him getting into the closet to find his wife’s lover), with much of the film’s exposition workmanlike. There are a couple of minor coups in the last act – a scene where unforgiving daylight is suddenly cast on the Paris club as a man has a heart attack and a delirious dream where he is taunted by the face of his unforgiving father, shot like the template for Frankenstein’s monster, in almost everyone he sees – but this may well have felt horribly dated even when it came out.

It's a pity they couldn't have included Novello's 1932 talkie remake of The Lodger instead.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:42 AM   #50
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
I wonder what this release means for the prospect of getting "The Hitchcock Nine", the 9 silent films that were restored a few years back, on BD. This gives us two of them, but if Blackmail is released separately as well, that will leave the other 6, which are all super obscure. I worry they might never get released as a result. I won't deny I was hoping for a boxset of the whole Hitchcock nine, since I fear that may be the only way we'll ever get the lesser ones.
2 silents each included with releases of Notorious, Rebecca, and Spellbound will do it
Thanks given by:
Martin_31 (03-16-2017), octagon (03-16-2017), The Great Owl (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:32 AM   #51
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
2 silents each included with releases of Notorious, Rebecca, and Spellbound will do it
You know what, I'm very happy with the OOP MGM releases but that would be a big nudge toward double-dips.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:34 AM   #52
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
It's great that Downhill is included with this release of The Lodger. Two Hitchcock films for the price of one.
My thought exactly, and I haven't seen either, but Hitchcock is always a draw. Might pick this up during the B&N sale.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:08 AM   #53
Power Member

May 2010

Quote:
Unfortunately, Criterion only has 4 of the 9 (Pleasure Garden, Lodger, Downhill, and Easy Virtue.) StudioCanal has the other 5.
Thanks given by:
James Luckard (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 03:33 AM   #54
Banned

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
You know what, I'm very happy with the OOP MGM releases but that would be a big nudge toward double-dips.
I'm keeping the MGM OOP releases but I'll buy the CC editions solely for the text content. Only have the Rebecca CC DVD and I put it with the MGM BD. The MGM BD coverart is atrocious and glad I'm using Nissens custom covers for the three.

Wonder if CC will be releasing any other of the Hitchcock MGM DVD titles onto Blu-ray disc.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:33 AM   #55

Mar 2012

I actually prefer the B&W color. Doubt that will happen though.
I just hope they fix the ridiculous soundtrack that came out in the U.K.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #56

Nov 2009

[QUOTE=James Luckard;13331207]Glad to hear they're recording a new score for this.

The restored version looked gorgeous, but the score by Nitin Sawhney was wildly uneven. 90% of it worked quite well, but there were some very weird modern pop vocal portions that felt like someone had accidentally picked up a top 40 radio station during the screening.

Here's a video of the underscore:

And here's the pop song:

QUOTE]

I thought the same: there had been some parts of the Music in a couple Scenes which had been completely wrong to theme/atmosphere.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #57
Power Member

May 2013

I'm extremely glad I waited for this one. The old DVD looked nice, but it was at a ridiculously slow speed. The newer Blu played at the proper clip, but had a half-terrible music score. Really looking forward to this!
Old 03-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #58
Special Member

Jan 2013

Looking forward to picking this one up next B&N sale
Old 03-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2013

Would buy day one just for The Lodger but having Downhill included also is just a more perfect package. More Hitchcock please. We need all of his films on Blu.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #60

Mar 2012

[quote=Swissangel4616;13358194]
Quote:
Glad to hear they're recording a new score for this.

The restored version looked gorgeous, but the score by Nitin Sawhney was wildly uneven. 90% of it worked quite well, but there were some very weird modern pop vocal portions that felt like someone had accidentally picked up a top 40 radio station during the screening.

Here's a video of the underscore:
Nitin Sawhney - The Lodger (trailer) - YouTube

And here's the pop song:
Daisy's Song - Alfred Hitchcock - The Lodger (1927) (2012 Restoration) - YouTube

QUOTE]

I thought the same: there had been some parts of the Music in a couple Scenes which had been completely wrong to theme/atmosphere.

What the F*ck were they thinking?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America