Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Blu-ray)
€14.99
18 hrs ago
Red Sparrow (Blu-ray)
€15.00
2 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
€24.99

Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
€16.40

Saving Private Ryan 4K (Blu-ray)
€19.69

Twin Peaks: The Third Season (Blu-ray)
€29.99
2 hrs ago
Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
€14.41

Black Panther (Blu-ray)
€20.00

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Blu-ray)
€18.99

Geostorm (Blu-ray)
€10.38

Happy Death Day (Blu-ray)
€9.99
15 hrs ago
The X-Files: Season 11 (Blu-ray)
€22.76

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France

Old 08-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #1

Feb 2013
Default Men of War / The Peacekeeper (Dolph Lundgren)

MEN OF WAR / THE PEACEKEEPER Blu-ray bundle to come out in France on September 12th.
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dolph...lu-ray/183779/
https://www.amazon.fr/Dolph-Lundgren...dp/B071XQ7LCP/

Presentations of the films by yours truly as well as an exclusive 30 minutes interview of PEACEKEEPER director Frédéric Forestier featuring rare production art and behind the scenes photos. THE PEACEKEEPER will be a worldwide premiere release on Blu-ray (widescreen original 1.85 ratio and stunning master).

The uncut master of MEN OF WAR is not the same as the German/Austrian editions and the color grading looks closer to the theatrical look.

EDIT:

Last edited by Jerry_Dam; 08-09-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Thanks given by:
Bluebolt (09-12-2017), Sky_Captain (08-12-2017), wesslan (09-14-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #2

Feb 2013

MEN OF WAR looks as it was meant to be seen, color and aspect ratio-wise.

THE PEACEKEEPER looks like you've never seen it before unless you were lucky to be able catch it on the big screen back then, and the HD master really shows off how the movie wasn't that cheap, especially compared to nowadays DTVs, it almost looks like a blockbuster despite its flaws... It's a true rediscovery of the film...

The 30 minutes interview with director Frédéric Forestier is fantastic. With many anecdotes, Forestier covers almost everything in details, from deleted scenes to special effects, the stunts, the music, as well as his experience as a 26 year-old up and coming filmmaker coming to Canada for his first feature film. And it features rare on-set footage, behind the scenes pics, storyboards and concept arts, pretty much a full making of! An excellent bonus feature that I am glad I had something to do with it happening (the interview is in French with no subs though).

Old 09-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010

Are the French subs removable?
Old 09-13-2017, 08:06 AM   #4

Feb 2013

Yes, the subs are removable.
Thanks given by:
Andrew Woo (09-13-2017), BarnDoor (09-13-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_Dam View Post
MEN OF WAR / THE PEACEKEEPER Blu-ray bundle to come out in France on September 12th.
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dolph...lu-ray/183779/
https://www.amazon.fr/Dolph-Lundgren...dp/B071XQ7LCP/

Presentations of the films by yours truly as well as an exclusive 30 minutes interview of PEACEKEEPER director Frédéric Forestier featuring rare production art and behind the scenes photos. THE PEACEKEEPER will be a worldwide premiere release on Blu-ray (widescreen original 1.85 ratio and stunning master).

The uncut master of MEN OF WAR is not the same as the German/Austrian editions and the color grading looks closer to the theatrical look.

EDIT:
Very nice, what do you and Metropolitan more have in store? Love these little "b-movie" gems that finally get good quality since we can't depend on a certain german company who likes dnr..
Old 09-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #6

Jan 2016

German Forums say these French Discs are no better than the German Counterparts as it stands for now.

MEN OF WAR is supposedly matted fake scope onto the 1.78 USA Version and uncut Scenes inserted from the German Version...

only real comparisons will show that, of course. beware for now.

http://cinefacts-forum.kino.de/24823...ml#post8603798
Old 09-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
Banned

Sep 2010
France

I'm wondering what would be the issue from matting the 1.78 version to 2.40 if you end up with the original framing back (ie you don't end up with a botched version that should actually have been re-framed on a shot by shot basis).

This being written, further reading this German forum, it actually might not be the case anyway so as you say, only factual comparisons with screencaps will allow us to be sure of that.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #8

Jun 2013

But the US 1.78:1 is cropped, it's not an open matte.
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a...=62283&i=7&l=0

Matting that to 2.40:1 would be a total disaster.

We need a proper comparison with caps of this french realease.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #9

Dec 2009

Framing is identical to the R-rated Miramax US DVD.

But the framing on that one was pretty bad. I think a comparison on caps-a-holic will be available soon.

For everyone who would like to get an idea of what the problem is, you can compare the German Blu-ray to the US DVD:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=...0&l=0&i=3&go=1

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=...4&l=0&i=7&go=1

And these are only two examples of the framing problem. There are many other shots in the movie where the framing is also bad. No DoP would do a framing with such strange headcuts of the actors like it was on the US DVD.

So we have three different HD masters worldwide.

1. Miramax R-Rated 1.78:1 with a complete new framing
2. 84 Entertainment/Digi Dreams with correct aspect ratio of 2.40:1
3. Metropolitan 2.40:1 with a pretty bad framing which is way too tight

Alle three masters have a different look (in terms of color timing) like you can see in the screenshot comparisons. So maybe we have to wait until a company like Arrow UK will do ultimate justice to this iconic action flick.

But in the meantime, in my opinion the German blu-ray is the best way to watch it in HD, but for everybody else who was not satisfied with the color timing on that one, you should give that new French blu-ray a try (if you could live with the framing problem).
Old 09-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #10

Feb 2013

Indeed the French disc is made from the Miramax HD master that served to make the R1 DVD (which is not the same as the 1.78 BD).

Here's the thing: the German master is not in 2.39, it is in 2.20 if you measure... This is what the lenses used captured, yet it is not how it was framed or intended, and from my perspective you can tell it doesn't look as good if you show the whole thing like on the German edition. I've talked at length with the director about that matter and he confirmed to me the correct framing ratio was 2.39.

Quote:
And these are only two examples of the framing problem. There are many other shots in the movie where the framing is also bad. No DoP would do a framing with such strange headcuts of the actors like it was on the US DVD.
I agree to disagree and think it looks much better than with too much headroom (and to clearly to me how the shots were composed).

Last edited by Jerry_Dam; 09-15-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #11

Aug 2012
Germany

Couldn't watch longer than for 10 minutes. The cut off heads due to the wrong framing got on my nerves.
Peacekeeper looks good.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:05 PM   #12

Oct 2011

Quote:

Here's the thing: the German master is not in 2.39, it is in 2.20 if you measure... This is what the lenses used captured, yet it is not how it was framed or intended, and from my perspective you can tell it doesn't look as good if you show the whole thing like on the German edition. I've talked at length with the director about that matter and he confirmed to me the correct framing ratio was 2.39.

I agree to disagree and think it looks much better than with too much headroom (and to clearly to me how the shots were composed).
While this is a valid statement, the problem is that the French Blu-ray does not only miss information on the top and bottom of the image. There is also quite some image information missing on both sides! So although the aspect ratio seems correct, the framing is not cause the whole master is already zoomed compared to the German/Austrian release.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:59 PM   #13

Dec 2009

Quote:
You are really telling us that this framing should be correct?
Sorry, I can't believe that. There are so many shots that are way too tight.

Another example is right at the beginning when the bodyguard came out of the limousine and walks in front of it. You can believe me, no DoP worldwide would ever do a framing like that.

Or when colonel Merrick and Keefer are standing in front of a fire during a scene before the final battle, Keefer looks up and his face is out of the frame.

Directors are not always aware of what the DoP is really about to capture and due to the fact, that there are many technical processes far beyond the capturing of a picture live on set. When it comes to anamorphic 35mm 4-perf, the matting process in post production can be difficult. Mostly when the wrong people try to do that and the DoP is not involved in this process which happens much more as many people think (mostly because of budget reasons). And it is getting even more difficult 10 or 20 years later...

I know these problems because I also shot some movies and commercials on chemical film (16 & 35mm) and also know the problems of framing live on set and doing HD transfers of them many years later. I really don't believe that this transfer specifically is correct. I believe that the intended aspect ratio is in fact 2.40:1 like Lang said, but I don't believe the framing was done correctly for that Miramax transfer (until I read an official statement from Perry Lang or much better Rohn Schmidt on the French Blu-ray).

And there is another problem... Why are there some shots with magenta problems? I located them during zapping through the movie. Another menber of CF (LJSilver) made a picture of this problematic shot as you can see here:

http://cinefacts-forum.kino.de/24823...ml#post8604380

There aren't a lot of these and I do not care so much about them, but I located some of these shots during the final battle in the jungle. You mostly see them in the highlights when the color "white" becomes "magenta".
Old 09-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2013
Scotland

So DigiDreams is still world's best?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #15

Jan 2016

apparently both Digi Dreams made Versions are far superior indeed!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France