Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.59
 
Skyscraper 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
Geostorm 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.35
18 hrs ago
Goosebumps 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
The Boss Baby 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12
 
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
Doctor Who: Dark Water / Death in Heaven 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.82
 
Jurassic World 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.97
 
Sangaree 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.99
 
Shrek Forever After 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.87
 
Pandas: The Journey Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2017, 01:42 AM   #1
nacho220 nacho220 is offline
Junior Member
 
Mar 2014
294
252
16
6
Default Thoughts on this Sony 3D TV?

Hello all

I have an opportunity to pick up a Sony KDL-70W830B BRAVIA W830B Premium Series - 70" Class (69.5" viewable) 3D LED TV.

What are your thoughts on this unit? Also I notice it says 3D digital technology. How might that deliver from what is advertised as passive 3D? Or what technology Samsung offered in their units?

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-k...-led-tv/specs/

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...=3#/manualsTab

Thanks for any feedback in advance. It would be very helpful.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
dhvsfan dhvsfan is offline
Active Member
 
Jul 2015
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho220 View Post
Hello all

I have an opportunity to pick up a Sony KDL-70W830B BRAVIA W830B Premium Series - 70" Class (69.5" viewable) 3D LED TV.

What are your thoughts on this unit? Also I notice it says 3D digital technology. How might that deliver from what is advertised as passive 3D? Or what technology Samsung offered in their units?

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-k...-led-tv/specs/

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...=3#/manualsTab

Thanks for any feedback in advance. It would be very helpful.
Disclaimer: I don't have any experience with this set.

However, the manual clearly states that this set uses active glasses. Because of the IR blaster, they are likely to be IR driven.

You are a bit confused in your Samsung terminology. The first Samsung 3D sets used IR active 3D glasses. The later sets used Bluetooth active 3D glasses. I don't know IF Samsung ever used passive glasses.

Passive glasses are used in LG Oled 3D displays. (And anyone who used LG Oled panels for their displays.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:22 AM   #3
nacho220 nacho220 is offline
Junior Member
 
Mar 2014
294
252
16
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhvsfan View Post
Disclaimer: I don't have any experience with this set.



However, the manual clearly states that this set uses active glasses. Because of the IR blaster, they are likely to be IR driven.



You are a bit confused in your Samsung terminology. The first Samsung 3D sets used IR active 3D glasses. The later sets used Bluetooth active 3D glasses. I don't know IF Samsung ever used passive glasses.



Passive glasses are used in LG Oled 3D displays. (And anyone who used LG Oled panels for their displays.)


Hi there
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't saying Samsung used passive glasses.

I was asking was that this particular Sony TV I saw being advertised as "DIGITAL 3D." What I wanted to know is what is the difference between "DIGITAL 3D" and "PASSIVE" if there is any - and also asking is there any difference between those and whatever Samsung uses as their 3D technology. I know they don't use passive but I didn't know what the term was that they used.

I've really only heard of the terms passive and active to describe 3D technology is these televisions, so just trying to figure out what the difference is between it all and how it relates to this Sony unit describes as Digital 3D

It sounds like you are suggesting both this Sony and the Samsung units use active if I am gathering it all correctly?

Thanks for your reply




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:26 AM   #4
nacho220 nacho220 is offline
Junior Member
 
Mar 2014
294
252
16
6
Default

As an UPDATE... I did in fact pick up this Sony unit in question. There is a 3D button on the remote that lets you change 3D settings on the screen for whatever you are watching - not just a 3D blu-ray. I've not seen that option on the Samsung 3D TV I have.

Maybe that is the difference in terminology? Digital 3D allows you to set the screen to 3D on anything coming across the TV?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:06 AM   #5
GreatGreg GreatGreg is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
GreatGreg's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Canada
-
20
Default

Is this TV active 3D?

Some TVs do 3D on-the-fly, while others just display a 3D movie that has been pre-recorded.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #6
noeljon noeljon is offline
Member
 
Dec 2017
Default

Not a fan of 3d TV/movies, they make me dizzy a bit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #7
whippet whippet is offline
Senior Member
 
whippet's Avatar
 
Dec 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeljon View Post
Not a fan of 3d TV/movies, they make me dizzy a bit.
did you get lost on blu-ray.com?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Bru87tr (12-26-2017), EVERRET (12-29-2017)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:12 AM.