Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Skyscraper 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.24
5 hrs ago
Goosebumps 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Geostorm 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.35

The Boss Baby 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Pandas: The Journey Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Doctor Who: Dark Water / Death in Heaven 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.82

Sangaree 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Jurassic World 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.97

Shrek Forever After 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.87

Tormented 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players

Old 08-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #181
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2014
Southeast U.S.

Kinda cool. Popped in my Region B-locked Ratatouille 3D, and ... title screen and all that came up.

"There are no strings on me."
Thanks given by:
Paul H (08-23-2017), Quake1028 (08-24-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #182

Dec 2016
Philadelphia

I am anticipating needing one of these for T2: 3D from UK. But hopefully it ends up region-free! Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:39 PM   #183

Jul 2014

I have the Icom BD780...no problems

Anyone no where to get predator 3d cheap?

Last edited by stingray72; 09-04-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:21 AM   #184
Expert Member

Oct 2006

https://www.amazon.com/LG-2D-3D-Mult...blu+ray+player

I'm thinking of getting this one for $159 to watch Region B 3ds. Any thoughts? Should work, right?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:28 AM   #185
Expert Member

Oct 2006

After digging in further I see the LG would work as well as the sony. The Sony is $30 more. Is there anything I would miss getting the cheaper one? I already have a great Oppo player for everything else.

Edit, I went with the Sony. FIgure I need something that will last a long time.

Last edited by ay221; 09-14-2017 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:11 AM   #186
Expert Member

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Is there a reason you want a separate player rather than getting the $50-70 OPPO region free module?

Otherwise I'd lean toward the Sony over LG

Sony order cancelled in time. I have not heard of the module. Can you give me more details?
Old 09-14-2017, 03:19 AM   #187
Expert Member

Oct 2006

https://www.avforums.com/threads/opp...n-mod.2077007/

I don't think I want to mess with it as to not break anything on the expensive oppo, or not have the latest firmware from oppo. But there is no rush for me to order a player, I will study it over the weekend.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:58 AM   #188
Expert Member

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
A bit late, but with the plug in module is pretty hard to mess anything up -- literally plug it into the RS port and USB on teh back of the unit so you don't even have to open the unit.

Keeping the firmware UTD has never caused a problem with this module over several years.
That is what I ended up buying. I haven't plugged it in yet. I'm waiting for the eventuality that I get a region B blu-ray.

Most likely that will be Valerian. but still hoping it comes out region free.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:17 AM   #189

Sep 2008

I’m starting to think this may be necessary soon. Are there any 4K ultra HD players that will play 3D movies region free?
Old 11-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #190

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1 View Post
Iím starting to think this may be necessary soon. Are there any 4K ultra HD players that will play 3D movies region free?
The Oppo UDP-203/UDP-205 with a region free mod kit.

Also see http://www.220-electronics.com/regio...y-players.html

If you already own an Oppo, see the following link http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-2...-modifications
for region-free mods.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #191

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

If you have a lg oled, get the player that matches all its performance: the oppo 203 region free. It is region free from Bombay Electronice and they are having a 15% off sale today, so its only $50.00 more than a region a model. This player blows everything else out. I promise you won't regret it.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #192

Oct 2010

I was looking for an inexpensive option and found one on 220 Electronics, the LG BP550, with a discount.

I'd love to buy an Oppo but it is not within my means.

Has anybody tried or bought the LG BP550? Is it a decent player?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #193

Dec 2012
-
-
-

I don't have the LG BP550 but I have two stock region B BP250s imported from Amazon UK and they work perfectly in the US with a cheap plug adapter and even convert PAL to NTSC, total cost including shipping and plug adapter was $66 each.

We've been discussion in another thread what the options are for region B 3D playback. The LG BP450 should fit the bill but it's not clear if it does the same PAL-NTSC conversion that the BP250 does, but more annoying, it doesn't seem to be available to purchase anywhere.

If you don't mind having two players (and the power adapter works in both the US and UK), then importing a stock region B player is worth considering versus a region free one. I did see a couple BP450s and 550s showing up on eBay; I'd be curious if someone bought one how it'd behave in the US.
Thanks given by:
MarkBirds (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #194

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDis View Post
I don't have the LG BP550 but I have two stock region B BP250s imported from Amazon UK and they work perfectly in the US with a cheap plug adapter and even convert PAL to NTSC, total cost including shipping and plug adapter was $66 each.

We've been discussion in another thread what the options are for region B 3D playback. The LG BP450 should fit the bill but it's not clear if it does the same PAL-NTSC conversion that the BP250 does, but more annoying, it doesn't seem to be available to purchase anywhere.

If you don't mind having two players (and the power adapter works in both the US and UK), then importing a stock region B player is worth considering versus a region free one. I did see a couple BP450s and 550s showing up on eBay; I'd be curious if someone bought one how it'd behave in the US.
Thanks so much for your reply.

220 Electronics seems to have a good reputation, so when I ordered I was assuming the player would just work wright out of the box. The product listing sure made it seem that way. LG does sell a US model of the 550.

I really want this thing to work. I ordered some kind of plug adapter somebody linked to on another thread just in case. It should arrive the same day. If I knew all of this was so complicated, I would have just tried to sell the movies I bought on eBay.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #195
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBirds View Post
Thanks so much for your reply.

220 Electronics seems to have a good reputation, so when I ordered I was assuming the player would just work wright out of the box. The product listing sure made it seem that way. LG does sell a US model of the 550.

I really want this thing to work. I ordered some kind of plug adapter somebody linked to on another thread just in case. It should arrive the same day. If I knew all of this was so complicated, I would have just tried to sell the movies I bought on eBay.
If you buy a region-free from 220-electronics or Bombay electronics, you won't need an adapter, because it's been custom-modded. An adapter is only needed if you import a retail region-B-locked player straight from the UK.

Note that if you buy from 220-electronics, you need to pay an additional $40 for the region-free blu-ray playback. It's an option you need to select when you select the model you want.
Thanks given by:
MarkBirds (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #196

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
If you buy a region-free from 220-electronics or Bombay electronics, you won't need an adapter, because it's been custom-modded. An adapter is only needed if you import a retail region-B-locked player straight from the UK.

Note that if you buy from 220-electronics, you need to pay an additional $40 for the region-free blu-ray playback. It's an option you need to select when you select the model you want.
Thatís what I thought. Thanks again. I appreciate your help.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #197

Jul 2017
Default Oppo mod installation

Bought my Oppo region free mod from this site.
http://www.jvbdigital.nl/jvb.asp
I picked Fedex delivery and it was fast. Directions for installation are on their site. One thing you need to do, that is not in the directions, is after you install the mod, you need to unplug the Oppo power cord and plug it back in. This makes the Oppo do a hard reset where it remembers the mod install points. After that go by the directions a remember that #2 is the region you want. It will then play A & B region locked Blu rays.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #198

Dec 2017

Hey everyone. First time posting here. I've been collecting 3D blu rays for a few years now (up to 98 titles). I live in Canada and I have the Pioneer Elite bdp-80fd player which is supposed to play everything. Until now, it has.

I ordered Valerian 3D from the UK and it will not play that disc. I'm wondering if there is a menu fix that I'm not seeing or perhaps an update that will resolve the issue, but failing that... what player would you suggest I purchase that will 100% play these other regions? I'm fairly upset as I popped $400 for this player specifically because I was told it would play ALL zones and regions. I don't mind buying another player on top of this one from another country if that's what it takes. I'm a true collector and just want to view my content. Looking at getting a proper screen and high end projector this month so needless to say, I'd love to be able to watch Valerian when I'm set up.

Thanks very much. Any help is appreciated. I really enjoy these forums and have been looking for an excuse to join.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #199

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKay View Post
Hey everyone. First time posting here. I've been collecting 3D blu rays for a few years now (up to 98 titles). I live in Canada and I have the Pioneer Elite bdp-80fd player which is supposed to play everything. Until now, it has.

I ordered Valerian 3D from the UK and it will not play that disc. I'm wondering if there is a menu fix that I'm not seeing or perhaps an update that will resolve the issue, but failing that... what player would you suggest I purchase that will 100% play these other regions?

Thanks very much. Any help is appreciated. I really enjoy these forums and have been looking for an excuse to join.
I am going to assume that your player has the region-free mod.

Chances are that you need a firmware upgrade for the player. My 3D player is my PS3. Decryption keys are updated on a semi-regular basis with new firmware downloads. So your decryption key table may be out of date.

It is also possible that the Valerian disc is damaged.

From the very nice Oppo UDP-203 UNOFFICIAL FAQ ->

What do I do if a disc will not play?
First: wash it.

Yes, even if the disc looks new, flawless, pristine. I was skeptical at first, but years of experience with Blu-ray convinced me. I have rescued a great many discs that would not work in the player or mount on a computer this way.

Immaculate discs may have invisible films from manufacturing that will interfere with playback. UHD discs are even more sensitve to films, dust, and fingerprints than Blu-ray.

This is what I do:

Put the disc in a sink, label side down, data side up.
Run hot tap water over it for a minute or more.
Lightly sponge the data side with dish soap. Work radially, from the center to the edge. Never rub an optical disc in a circular motion around the hub.
Give it a good long rinse with hot water.
Dry with a soft cloth. I actually use paper towels. The coating on Blu-ray and UHD is pretty tough, but treat it gently.
My totally unsubstantiated theory is that the plastic of these discs sometimes has internal stresses from manufacturing that causes them to spin funny. (Like a potato chip?) The heat and pressure of scrubbing them releases the stress, making them more playable.

Note that CDs and DVDs have softer coatings which are more scratchable, but which can be polished out with liquid abrasives. I would not try that on Blu-ray or UHD. Useless. Unwise.

Last edited by dhvsfan; 12-19-2017 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Added another recovery step.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:02 PM   #200

Dec 2017
Batavia, NY

I just performed the region free mod from Rattlebyte Technologies. I used the solderless kit. It took me longer to unscrew the case than install the chip. So far I played T2, Valerian, and Open Range with no hiccups, all are Region B titles. Great investment if you have a Panasonic Player. http://www.rattlebyte.com/Shop.php?lang=en
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players