Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Book Club (Blu-ray)
C$21.99
34 min ago
Ant-Man and the Wasp (Blu-ray)
C$35.69
8 hrs ago
Creepshow (Blu-ray)
C$30.08
21 hrs ago
The Man Who Invented Christmas (Blu-ray)
C$14.99

Tag (Blu-ray)
C$19.99
23 hrs ago
Starman (Blu-ray)
C$32.62
3 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
C$31.79

Hang 'Em High (Blu-ray)
C$32.62
1 hr ago
A Quiet Place 4K (Blu-ray)
C$24.99

Ocean's 8 (Blu-ray)
C$19.47

The Greatest Showman (Blu-ray)
C$16.79

Vikings: Season 5, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
C$19.99
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada

Old 02-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #1

Feb 2009
Best Buy Best Buy Canada Complaint Thread

Why does Best Buy Canada always feel the need to rip us off with unbelievably expensive prices, and make it a depressing day for Canadian movie collectors everywhere? Why can't they learn from Target's B2G1 sale that just occurred last weekend? People like me can't afford to buy all the blu-rays they want in one week, due to the their laughable prices, which we have to wait until June...****ing June for a price drop. They could just be nice and drop the prices in April, but since they're so ****ing cruel as to not care one bit about their customers, they just have to make us wait until June. Just like their customer service, Best Buy CA isn't concerned at all about making sure walk home with a smile on their faces.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:52 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by theleadfarmer47 View Post
Why does Best Buy Canada always feel the need to rip us off with unbelievably expensive prices, and make it a depressing day for Canadian movie collectors everywhere? Why can't they learn from Target's B2G1 sale that just occurred last weekend? People like me can't afford to buy all the blu-rays they want in one week, due to the their laughable prices, which we have to wait until June...****ing June for a price drop. They could just be nice and drop the prices in April, but since they're so ****ing cruel as to not care one bit about their customers, they just have to make us wait until June. Just like their customer service, Best Buy CA isn't concerned at all about making sure walk home with a smile on their faces.
Is this directed at something specific or you just not liking their pricing in general?
Old 02-21-2017, 02:04 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by theleadfarmer47 View Post
Why does Best Buy Canada always feel the need to rip us off with unbelievably expensive prices, and make it a depressing day for Canadian movie collectors everywhere? Why can't they learn from Target's B2G1 sale that just occurred last weekend? People like me can't afford to buy all the blu-rays they want in one week, due to the their laughable prices, which we have to wait until June...****ing June for a price drop.
Leaving the country before June? It seems this is true of everywhere you buy new BDs in Canada. It's the US distributors that set the prices anyway.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #4

Oct 2014
Ontario, Canada

The complete lack of Steelbooks in Canada is what's really grinding my gears about BB.
Thanks given by:
DarthJaeger (03-13-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:56 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignoftheHammer View Post
The complete lack of Steelbooks in Canada is what's really grinding my gears about BB.
Meh. Collector's junk seems to be going the way of the Doodoo.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #6

Dec 2015
Toronto, ON

They always ship one movie in a box designed to hold four without any protection.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Calgary, AB, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignoftheHammer View Post
The lack of blus on Canadian shelves is what's really grinding my gears...

Thanks given by:
DarthJaeger (04-03-2017), TM2-Megatron (04-02-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 07:32 AM   #8
Banned

Jul 2009
The O.C.

We're getting severely ****ed here in Canada.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Canuck View Post
It's pretty lacking online for BB as well but yeah it's depressing going into a BB and seeing yet another reducing of space for BDs.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
Power Member

Jul 2011
Canada #1!

I get the feeling that Best Buy is going to completely tank soon. Going into a Best Buy store these days has the same vibe as Target before they went belly-up.

Whenever a big store has multiple shelves sitting empty, it shows that they cannot organize their own warehousing and supply chain, which is an indication of deeper-rooted problems.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr1 View Post
I get the feeling that Best Buy is going to completely tank soon. Going into a Best Buy store these days has the same vibe as Target before they went belly-up.
Only if BB has a top management change known as a new broom. When the completely new management took over Target that was when the Canadian stores were doomed. The old management stated themselves there would be several years of losses and were not going to lose face over what they started.

Quote:
Whenever a big store has multiple shelves sitting empty, it shows that they cannot organize their own warehousing and supply chain, which is an indication of deeper-rooted problems.
At my large local Target even on the early days of the liquidation the selves were full. At least Target more or less had in Canadian stores what were in US stores. BB on the other hand has a vast gulf between what the Canadian and stores US carry going well beyond BDs.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:08 PM   #12
Special Member

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Canuck View Post

Yes, it really is pathetic. It's particularly bad in stores like the one pictured above, where they have the shelf space and don't even bother filling it. Canadian retail is dying a slow death in general (whether due to debt-fuelled spending being the majority of spending, or a combination of other reasons), and movies in particular are going faster than the rest. I'm lucky in that I live close enough to the border that getting down there once every month or two isn't much of a trip, so I can order from US online retailers pretty easily.

The Best Buy near me (Oakville) underwent renovation a while back and now they no longer even maintain a pretense of being interested in selling movies. That section was reduced to a single shelf and consists only of the very newest releases, a kids section, and then a hodgepodge section of crap that must be too old for them to send back to the distributor. Most of the space is now geared towards home appliances (large and small), televisions, and smart home paraphernalia. More space is devoted to the kiosks selling the same overpriced phone plans (also being sold at tens of thousands of other mall kiosks, wireless waves, ROBELUS stores, etc.) than movies.

I've found the Burlington location to still have a half-decent movie section, a little more reminiscent of what Oakville had 3 years ago... 4-5 lengthy aisles, reasonable selection of older movies and new releases, a distinct 3-D section. But the shelves are still a little sparsely populated for my taste. They could be doing better, but since they're still better than most other Best Buys of late, I'll give them credit where it's due.

Last edited by TM2-Megatron; 04-02-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:25 PM   #13

Sep 2016

Quote:

I think you're right.
I was there today looking for a mouse and the stock was pathetic.
Worse is I had to wander a giant store with a small stock spread out and no one helped me during my 25 minute hunt.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:02 AM   #14

Oct 2014
Ontario, Canada

I have two Best Buys in my area, one still thankfully has a decent selection of movies (Newmarket), while the other one (Aurora) is about the same has the picture above. What a sad sight
Old 10-22-2017, 12:56 AM   #15
Expert Member

Dec 2015
Canada

Went into my local (Canadian) Best Buy today and discovered the same as other members here - it's gone through a massive renovation and Blu-rays have been reduced from a huge section to just one shelf (The previously-substantial video game section didn't fare well either.) Basically all appliances, TVs, laptops, tablets and smartphones now. To be honest I don't shop there very much (due to Amazon.ca seemingly always being cheaper - or at least, Amazon's website is a lot more user-friendly for browsing, pre-ordering and keeping a Wish List for watching prices), and I'm having trouble remembering the last time I was there in order to determine the timeframe of the reno - I feel like it was about a month ago - but I did shop there occasionally (bought a handful of Blus at a different location just a couple weeks ago), so it's very sad to see
Old 10-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #16

Jan 2013

does Bestbuy stop price matching with Amazon.ca any more? I went to my local bestbuy, they said they don't match amazon prime price any more, i had to use walmart price which they accept..
Old 10-23-2017, 01:58 AM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by gong0704 View Post
does Bestbuy stop price matching with Amazon.ca any more? I went to my local bestbuy, they said they don't match amazon prime price any more, i had to use walmart price which they accept..
My Best Buy matches Amazon prices but tack on the shipping fee as well. The problem in your case might be that it was a prime price which requires a membership to get that price (that is the reason why they don't match Costco prices).
Old 12-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeze View Post
My Best Buy matches Amazon prices but tack on the shipping fee as well. The problem in your case might be that it was a prime price which requires a membership to get that price (that is the reason why they don't match Costco prices).
I don't think they can do that. I am pretty sure, nothing in there price matching policy states that, so you could argue or contact corporate for that silliness. My Bestbuy never does that, they take the price no questions asked. Mind you its usually under $15 in price difference. So if your trying to save more than that, maybe they are making some crap up to scam you out of getting a good deal. Who knows.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:36 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilallr1 View Post
I don't think they can do that. I am pretty sure, nothing in there price matching policy states that, so you could argue or contact corporate for that silliness. My Bestbuy never does that, they take the price no questions asked. Mind you its usually under $15 in price difference. So if your trying to save more than that, maybe they are making some crap up to scam you out of getting a good deal. Who knows.
The last time I read the policy it plainly stated shipping costs and membership must be included and staff knew and enforced it.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:04 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
The last time I read the policy it plainly stated shipping costs and membership must be included and staff knew and enforced it.
Yeah ... but shipping costs are free with Amazon if $35 or more .... so that point is moot. Like I said several Bestbuy's I have priced match with only a few months ago, matched Amazon.ca and Walmart.ca pricing, with no discussion on shipping costs. Now if they are changing that, they won't be getting any more of my business, since the only reason to walk into their store is to get better pricing. But if they tack on shipping again (like they used to several year ago), they are gonna go the way of the dodo bird ... extinct.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada