Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (Blu-ray)
$4.99

X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Predator (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Meg (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Hitman's Bodyguard (Blu-ray)
$9.99

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Lucifer: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$25.15

Peppermint (Blu-ray)
$22.99
9 hrs ago
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$26.42

Sailor Moon Super S: Season 4 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$42.37

Bad Boys I & II 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Fast & Furious: The Ultimate Ride Collection 1-7 (Blu-ray)
$26.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 01-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #2021

Apr 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The same technician at a Solutions told me that he heard a ton of complaints about the 93, related to its scaling compared to the 83. If true, it may be worth it to nab the 103.
we rejoice in being connected without touching...thank god for the internet...we stare at our screens all our lives...what a waste of eyes...
Old 01-05-2018, 10:40 PM   #2022
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007
Default Oppo Aces Longterm Reliability Test

Oppo Aces Longterm Reliability Test

Select quotes from article:

"That does not mean it has never failed. A few years into its tour of duty, the disc drawer became increasingly sticky. I got in touch with the manufacturer and was told it was a known manufacturing defect. I shipped the product to Oppo at my expense and the company shipped it back, with a new disc drive, at its expense. I even got an extra Oppo tote bag. The player has run flawlessly ever since. If you can't have a perfect product (though Oppos come closer than most) a manufacturer that stands behind its product is the next best thing. I would not hesitate to buy another Oppo."

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...uujzZ3h03iI.99
Thanks given by:
diverdave (01-09-2018), halloween5309 (05-31-2018), supervij (01-07-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 02:39 AM   #2023

Apr 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have a new problem with my 83. While it was working perfectly fine yesterday, today the player will not recognize that any disc is inside, whether it's BD, DVD, CD, or other. I haven't done anything to the player since yesterday (neither has my wife), haven't applied any firmware or anything at all. But when I insert any disc, the player's display says NO DISC.

I've tried several things:

- turned it on and off again
- unplugged and replugged it
- erased all data in the persistent storage
- reset the player to its factory default settings

None of these things worked. Can anyone suggest anything else that might work? I've looked online, but have found nothing else but the above.
we rejoice in being connected without touching...thank god for the internet...we stare at our screens all our lives...what a waste of eyes...
Old 05-31-2018, 04:46 AM   #2024
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervij View Post
I have a new problem with my 83. While it was working perfectly fine yesterday, today the player will not recognize that any disc is inside, whether it's BD, DVD, CD, or other. I haven't done anything to the player since yesterday (neither has my wife), haven't applied any firmware or anything at all. But when I insert any disc, the player's display says NO DISC.

I've tried several things:

- turned it on and off again
- unplugged and replugged it
- erased all data in the persistent storage
- reset the player to its factory default settings

None of these things worked. Can anyone suggest anything else that might work? I've looked online, but have found nothing else but the above.
Send a email to Oppo Digital about your issue.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:03 AM   #2025

Apr 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Send a email to Oppo Digital about your issue.
Already done; just waiting on their reply. Although with such an old machine, I wager they'll say, "It's too old; time to upgrade, cheapskate!"

Just thought there might be someone here who might have an idea what to try.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:42 AM   #2026
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervij View Post
Already done; just waiting on their reply. Although with such an old machine, I wager they'll say, "It's too old; time to upgrade, cheapskate!"

Just thought there might be someone here who might have an idea what to try.
You could reinstall the latest FW via a thumb drive again as one suggestion. For the 83 its here.
Thanks given by:
supervij (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 11:00 AM   #2027

Apr 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My gods, that didn't even occur to me...I figured that firmware was already there; no point in re-installing it. But that did the trick! Many thanks, JohnAV!

My baby is back!!!
Thanks given by:
JohnAV (06-01-2018), steel_breeze (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 05:18 PM   #2028

Apr 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

For anyone interested in OPPO's response to the problem I wrote about above, here's what they said:
Quote:
Your laser head could just be dirty or otherwise obstructed.

You will remove the screws on the side (two on each side) and back of the player (5 screws). Remove the top cover of the player by lifting up and pulling the cover away from the player.

When you remove the top cover you will see the loader. The loader has two pieces of electrostatic tape and two screws (one on each side). Remove these.

On each side of the loader there are two black clips. Push on on one of the clips and pull up on the metal cover. You will hear a snap. Do the same for the clip on the same side as the one you just depressed. Repeat for the other side.

You can now safely remove the top of the loader and gain access to the servo. Now clean the laser head surface with a cotton swab and alcohol. Also clean the rubber spindle on the servo to make sure there is no hair or lint which can make the discs load off center.

Reverse the steps to put the player back together.
Overall, I prefer JohnAV's solution.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:29 AM   #2029

Apr 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

In addition to contacting OPPO, I also contacted Solutions AV, the store just north of Toronto, Ontario. Here's what they said:
Quote:
Someone beat us to providing the answer we were going to initially suggest.
Glad it is working for you.
However, should you have any issues with this player down the road, contact OPPO Digital. They are located in the San Fransisco Bay Area of California. They offer a $99 USD flat-rate repair service. Add to that the costs of shipping your player (no accessories to reduce weight) to them and back again. And GST on the return and some custom handling fees (~$10 Cdn).
And when I asked them if they were still handling repairs, they said:
Quote:
OPPO is restructuring to focus on warranty and non-warranty repair/service of any product they have ever produced.
With them taking a stronger role in repairs overall, we will back away from non-warranty repairs.
Just an FYI to anyone who had been interested in using Solutions AV as an alternative to shipping to OPPO.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:28 AM   #2030
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

Glad it did the trick!

FYI

As previously announced, please be advise that 5/31 was the last day you could call Oppo Digital directly for sales/support.

Starting 6/1 all customer service will be using the contact form to provide customer service - technical advice and product repairs - sales - product questions-store orders/help - product returns.

There will be full time staff dedicated to answering emails into the indefinite future.

If you try to call Oppo Digital at 650-961-1118 you will be greeted with a message disclosing this change in our operations.
Thanks given by:
steel_breeze (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #2031
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Glad it did the trick!

FYI

As previously announced, please be advise that 5/31 was the last day you could call Oppo Digital directly for sales/support.

Starting 6/1 all customer service will be using the contact form to provide customer service - technical advice and product repairs - sales - product questions-store orders/help - product returns.

There will be full time staff dedicated to answering emails into the indefinite future.

If you try to call Oppo Digital at 650-961-1118 you will be greeted with a message disclosing this change in our operations.

The funny thing is I have never tried to call OPPO Digital INC over the last 10 years. My communication has always been by email. So nothing changes for me. Also their email customer service response time is excellent.
Thanks given by:
DvdClon (06-02-2018), JohnAV (06-01-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 03:10 AM   #2032

Apr 2014
Austin, TX

This may be the same across a lot of blu-ray players but it seems like major studio releases take significantly longer to load to the menu and play the movie than boutique label discs from shout factory, synapse, arrow, etc. (Lets say 3-4 minutes vs 1 minute). Sometimes it's almost to the point where I think it won't work at all but then it finally plays.

Anyone know why or is it just that the major studios put a bunch of java, drm, piracy warnings, bd-live etc on their discs which increase load times?

Examples of discs I used:
Major studio (nightmare on elm street, spinal tap)
Boutique (suspiria, black christmas, eraserhead).
Old 08-02-2018, 06:46 AM   #2033
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by WITCHCULT View Post
This may be the same across a lot of blu-ray players but it seems like major studio releases take significantly longer to load to the menu and play the movie than boutique label discs from shout factory, synapse, arrow, etc. (Lets say 3-4 minutes vs 1 minute). Sometimes it's almost to the point where I think it won't work at all but then it finally plays.

Anyone know why or is it just that the major studios put a bunch of java, drm, piracy warnings, bd-live etc on their discs which increase load times?

Examples of discs I used:
Major studio (nightmare on elm street, spinal tap)
Boutique (suspiria, black christmas, eraserhead).
One of the aspects of watching the progression of Oppo BD players such as the 83 -> 93 - > 103/D was the realization that the processing of the original BDP-83 is very slow compared to 2 generations later.

When you loading a BD, your usually running an BD-Java environment that present you with a sophisticated interface, varies by how the studio wants to excite you on the film you are about to watch with various options. The minor studios have more simplified menus

BD-Live was pretty early, in fact the 83 even dealt with an experimental BD-Live stream that someone had some demo's you could watch. Todays disks doesn't use BD-live that I have noticed, you no longer watch previews or download news via BD-love based on your BD disc you are playing.

Some of the BD titles have a lot of branching to fake out copying media that can make the load times and go to a particular time point slower.

Its likely the BD-Java welcome/main menu and the optical loader speed of a older player that gives you a impression of very slow loads, and playing the media.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #2034

Apr 2014
Austin, TX

Quote:
One of the aspects of watching the progression of Oppo BD players such as the 83 -> 93 - > 103/D was the realization that the processing of the original BDP-83 is very slow compared to 2 generations later.

When you loading a BD, your usually running an BD-Java environment that present you with a sophisticated interface, varies by how the studio wants to excite you on the film you are about to watch with various options. The minor studios have more simplified menus

BD-Live was pretty early, in fact the 83 even dealt with an experimental BD-Live stream that someone had some demo's you could watch. Todays disks doesn't use BD-live that I have noticed, you no longer watch previews or download news via BD-love based on your BD disc you are playing.

Some of the BD titles have a lot of branching to fake out copying media that can make the load times and go to a particular time point slower.

Its likely the BD-Java welcome/main menu and the optical loader speed of a older player that gives you a impression of very slow loads, and playing the media.
Figured as much! Thanks for the details. I have a region-free mod, it loads quick enough for most my discs (besides the ones mentioned), and I love the analog outs, so I am not planning to upgrade any time soon.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #2035
Blu-ray Guru

May 2016

Has anyone heard about the latest Oppo firmware update for the 83 that supposedly corrects issues some owners are having when connecting the player through an HDMI 2.0-compliant receiver and UHD display?

The company just informed me about this update, which I have prepared for download and install, but I'm not sure it affects me because I'm running the 83 through an older Onkyo 605 AVR and then off to a new Samsung UHD TV...however, Oppo reps told me that this update corrects some kind of "color shift" problem that 4K TV owners were also having, and I think I may fall into that camp with my 83 being connected to the new Samsung...so is this update worth loading?

Also -- I noticed there was a link to an update for this player from JohnAV a few posts above from back in May or so, and this was in response to a member talking about the player no longer recognizing a loaded disc. Is there a firmware update that addressed this problem? If so, is there any way to get this update again, being that DVDs (and some Blu-rays) have begun the "refusing-to-load" routine on my 83? Will the latest update I mentioned cover this problem, as well?
5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SAMSUNG UN65NU8000FXZA - NEW!
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Pre-Installed In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350
Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL - Numark CDMIX 1
Infinity by HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB
- Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
Old 08-07-2018, 09:39 PM   #2036
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

I still have my BD-83 hooked up via 3 stereo cables to my receiver for SACD and CD duty only, it is not hooked up to the TV at all.
When UHD Blu-ray comes lay of the DNR TCM OAR Atomic Data Storage Could Increase Capacity 1000x The Girl in the Spiders Web.
Kursk Physical media forever! Disney turn up your audio level "Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #2037
Blu-ray Guru

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
I still have my BD-83 hooked up via 3 stereo cables to my receiver for SACD and CD duty only, it is not hooked up to the TV at all.

Okay...

But are you aware of whether or not the latest firmware update for the 83 addresses "color shift" issues with UHD TVs and disc recognizing/loading problems?
5.1:
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Pre-Installed In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350
2-CHANNEL:
Old 08-07-2018, 09:56 PM   #2038
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

Okay...

But are you aware of whether or not the latest firmware update for the 83 addresses "color shift" issues with UHD TVs and disc recognizing/loading problems?
I didn't realize Oppo was still supporting the BD-83 with firmware updates.
When UHD Blu-ray comes lay of the DNR TCM OAR Atomic Data Storage Could Increase Capacity 1000x The Girl in the Spiders Web.
Kursk Physical media forever! Disney turn up your audio level "Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #2039
Blu-ray Guru

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
I didn't realize Oppo was still supporting the BD-83 with firmware updates.
Yes; according to what was emailed to me, the latest version is BDP-83-601011_2.0, and this corrects some kind of "color shift" problem some owners are having when the player runs through a newer 4K-capable receiver (it also addresses an audio issue over HDMI wherein the new TVs can better accept HDMI audio -- nothing related to surround sound decoding).

I'm wondering if, in my case being that I'm not running an HDMI 2.0-compliant AVR, installing the new update is worth it (even though I have it prepared on a CD-R) because I don't want to crash my player...though I have been having some color/banding/etc. issues since hooking the 83 up to a new Samsung UHD TV...
5.1:
2-CHANNEL:
Old 08-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #2040

Mar 2013
Default My Disc Tray No Longer Sticks :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Has anyone heard about the latest Oppo firmware update for the 83 that supposedly corrects issues some owners are having when connecting the player through an HDMI 2.0-compliant receiver and UHD display?

The company just informed me about this update, which I have prepared for download and install, but I'm not sure it affects me because I'm running the 83 through an older Onkyo 605 AVR and then off to a new Samsung UHD TV...however, Oppo reps told me that this update corrects some kind of "color shift" problem that 4K TV owners were also having, and I think I may fall into that camp with my 83 being connected to the new Samsung...so is this update worth loading?

Also -- I noticed there was a link to an update for this player from JohnAV a few posts above from back in May or so, and this was in response to a member talking about the player no longer recognizing a loaded disc. Is there a firmware update that addressed this problem? If so, is there any way to get this update again, being that DVDs (and some Blu-rays) have begun the "refusing-to-load" routine on my 83? Will the latest update I mentioned cover this problem, as well?
My Oppo BDP-83 is still hooked up and it is my go to machine for regular DVDs and Blu-rays. It not only still plays but it plays better than it has been for a while and now I think I know why.

I don't know if it is connected but now my disc tray no longer sticks I have had my BDP-83 connected to my network. Today when I checked for a software update via the network it said I already had the latest firmware update and again no more sticking disc tray. After 9 years and still getting updates. I will miss Oppo as a company. Not only did they put out amazing products but they have amazing tech support.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders