Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
20 hrs ago
Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$15.50
21 hrs ago
Oculus (Blu-ray)
$6.99
14 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

Some Like It Hot (Blu-ray)
$19.59

A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Alpha (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.59

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
9 hrs ago
The Strangers: Prey at Night (Blu-ray)
$12.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Old 01-12-2018, 01:29 AM   #1

Feb 2011
Default Hong Kong Legends Asian Movies

Hi

I am wanting to buy all of the Hong Kong Legends Asian Movies. I think most of them are on DVD rather than Bluray.

Does anyone know the best way I could buy them online or are there any Asian shops in Melbourne that would sell them?

Cheers
Old 01-12-2018, 03:01 AM   #2

Nov 2017
Australia

Hi mate, The Hong Kong Legends releases are/were all on dvd but they went out of print 10 years ago. I have most of them but there was a few I was never able to find. Some of the titles are now quite rare and expensive, cineasia rereleased some of them not so long ago on dvd and I think even those are getting hard to find.
Are you in Australia? I do know where you can still get some of the titles new
Old 01-13-2018, 04:07 AM   #3
Banned

Jul 2015
North Korea

Hong Kong Legends was a United Kingdom DVD distribution company, based in Hertfordshire and operating from the UK and Australia between 1999 and 2007. Hong Kong Legends was initially part of Medusa Communications, who, along with Soulblade bought up the UK distribution rights for film titles previously owned by Eastern Heroes label.

Hong Kong Legends released 101 Hong Kong classic films, primarily martial arts films and other action films. In preparing the DVDs, they gained access to the vaults of Hong Kong studios such as Golden Harvest, selecting the films with the highest quality prints available. Hong Kong Legends added audio commentaries most notably by Hong Kong cinema expert Bey Logan, conducted interviews with key actors, directors and other film crew, performed new translations for subtitles and cleaned up damage to the films.

Their catalogue of films included releases featuring Hong Kong stars such as Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao, Jet Li, Chow Yun-fat and Michelle Yeoh.

On November 5, 2007, Hong Kong Legends DVD label was discontinued, after Cine Asia DVD label was formed.

On March 18, 2011, Cine Asia announced a revival of the Hong Kong Legends titles under the banner of Cine Asia Presents Hong Kong Legends. The press release featured new artwork for The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Game of Death, and Way of the Dragon.

The website easternkicks.com has an interesting article about the demise of Hong Kong Legends here.

You can pick up used Hong Kong Legends titles on ebay between AU $15 - $40 depending on the title and the release type.

I kept my 2 disc LE versions of Bruce Lee titles as some of the extras/ features on these haven't been ported over to local blu-ray releases.

Release dates on the discs below were 2004-2005.

Thanks given by:
Gomephrus (01-15-2018), LucasJ (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 04:26 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2016

JB does have this available: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-...on-the/484840/

I've still got a few of those 4-film sets that were released a while ago, and the individual releases of Naked Killer and Story of Ricky/Riki-Oh. Hopefully the former gets a BD release eventually, it's an absolute classic.
Thanks given by:
donthitpause (01-13-2018), LucasJ (01-13-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #5

Jul 2011
Melbourne, Victoria

I've found a few hong kong legends DVDs at salvos stores (amazing what people give away) for usually around $2 - $5
Old 01-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #6

Nov 2017
Australia

I am yet to find one at a salvos store but I have found quite a few at Cashies for a dollar or two, I always grab them when I see them and they are in good nick.

Kanamint, or anyone else looking to collect them if you check on the first page of my DVD collection (link under my username) about halfway down are some of my Hong Kong Legends dvd's. I am only about halfway through adding all the movies, covers and details etc and I will add the rest when I get time but it might help you with what titles to look out for on ebay etc... One thing to remember though is that only the UK got all 100+ titles where as I am not quite sure how many we got in Australia, but it wasn't the full set. So any in my collection which have UK ratings were UK only released or they only had early universal releases here that are impossible to find now.
Universal released them here first and I have no idea how many they put out before Magna Pacific got them and Magna released 50 or 51 titles so there could be 60'ish Aussie releases? including the earlier universal ones.

Also if you don't care too much about extras 47 of the HKL dvd's were released barebones with a fortnightly magazine of the same name in the UK and you can occasionally pick up the full set off ebay for $100 - $150 or so. That set also includes several great titles that were mastered but never released by HKL before they wen't bust like prison on fire 1&2 and Heroic trio & the executioners.

Beyond still has a few new Aussie release titles in stock but they are mostly all sold out now.
http://www.beyondhe.com.au/shows/mov...-kong-legends/
Old 01-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #7

Nov 2017
Australia

The only Aussie release I need now to finish the set is Snake and crane arts of shaolin.

So if anyone here has a copy they would like to part with let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snake crane.jpg (14.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #8

Feb 2013

I left about 40 titles from this range at my old place, including some that I assume are hard to come by now... Hopefully they are still there.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #9

Aug 2018

If anyone's interested I've got a HK Legends 47-part DVD collection (with accompanying magazines) which I'm looking to sell.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia