Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Revenge (Blu-ray)
$6.99
 
Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
 
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
 
The X-Files: The Complete Season 11 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Legion: The Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Skyscraper 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
 
A Cure for Wellness (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
Fargo: Year Two (Blu-ray)
$6.99
 
Heat (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
The Spy Who Dumped Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
 
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
SethRex SethRex is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
SethRex's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
566
6
619
1
6
111
Default Battlefield Earth

I know the majority hates this movie, but for those few of us that do like it, who else besides me would want this movie on Blu-Ray? Movie may generally suck but audio/visual quality should be great.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Malv1 Malv1 is offline
Active Member
 
Malv1's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
337
31
Default

I am pretty sure I saw this for sale at Costco the other day on BR... I almost picked it up but I already have it on regular and don't watch it enough to pick it up on BR but I do think it is quite a bit better than most.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Xatio87 Xatio87 is offline
New Member
 
Xatio87's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
Canada
66
Default

I would LOVE to see this title on blu! I think it's one of my favourite movies (contrary to popular opinion). If/When it comes out it's on my top BD list!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
Hatter Hatter is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada
67
74
Default

Funny how such a terrible film got such a great dvd release. I'm sorry but it is the worst sci fi film I've ever seen. I watched it during space channel's top ten worst sci fi film marathon.

Someone has to explain what exactly made them like it. According to this film, the world's finest military personnel can be destroyed rather swiftly but a bunch of neanderthals can become pilot aces and take back the planet. Apparently someone had also been paying the electric bill and maintaining reactor stations in order to give power to this military hanger and of course fuel does not evaporate over time nor do planes disentegrate over long periods of time exposed to the elements. And what kind of an invading army with superior technology can detect new areas to mine but completely miss fort knox and thousands miracuously perfect and pristine gold bars.

Last edited by Hatter; 07-18-2010 at 11:47 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
jlaavenger jlaavenger is offline
Special Member
 
jlaavenger's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
1298
242
5
114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethRex View Post
I know the majority hates this movie, but for those few of us that do like it, who else besides me would want this movie on Blu-Ray? Movie may generally suck but audio/visual quality should be great.
I liked it, of course I never read the book either.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
AintNoSin AintNoSin is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
AintNoSin's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Above the Convenience Store
487
212
98
19
6
Default

I think it's a good candidate for a Betamax and HD-DVD release, but that's it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
LetoAtreides82 LetoAtreides82 is offline
Senior Member
 
LetoAtreides82's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
United States
223
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Funny how such a terrible film got such a great dvd release. I'm sorry but it is the worst sci fi film I've ever seen. I watched it during space channel's top ten worst sci fi film marathon.

Someone has to explain what exactly made them like it. According to this film, the world's finest military personnel can be destroyed rather swiftly but a bunch of neanderthals can become pilot aces and take back the planet. Apparently someone had also been paying the electric bill and maintaining reactor stations in order to give power to this military hanger and of course fuel does not evaporate over time nor do planes disentegrate over long periods of time exposed to the elements. And what kind of an invading army with superior technology can detect new areas to mine but completely miss fort knox and thousands miracuously perfect and pristine gold bars.
I loved the film (haven't read the book nor do I intend to, movies are a superior medium in my opinion) and I understand your point about how silly it is for cavemen to take back the planet against a much more advanced race, but sometimes you just gotta ignore plot holes like that to better enjoy movies.

I think what attracts me the most about this movie is the whole aspect of an advanced race enslaving an inferior one. I wonder what it would be like if that happened, and this movie gives you an idea of how it could be.

I'll preorder this blu-ray as soon as it's up. Apart from Jurassic Park, I can't think of another movie other than Battlefield Earth that I want on blu-ray so badly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
nf0603 nf0603 is offline
Expert Member
 
Aug 2010
Default

I am surprised Battlefield Earth hasn't become an ironic cult classic like The Room or Showgirls has. I remember renting the movie and being thoroughly entertained because it was a great comedy. For $10 or less I'd probably get it on Blu-Ray because I enjoy camp cinema.

I remember some years back seeing this Travolta biography that was made right as Battlefield Earth came out that talked about how it was the latest blockbuster of his that would be up there with Pulp Fiction, Grease and Saturday Night Fever in terms of pop culture impact....
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
Al_The_Strange Al_The_Strange is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
Al_The_Strange's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...
159
2747
741
458
132
30
Default

If they Blu-Ray it, I would buy it.





Seriously.





What?



  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
Al_The_Strange Al_The_Strange is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
Al_The_Strange's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...
159
2747
741
458
132
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Funny how such a terrible film got such a great dvd release. I'm sorry but it is the worst sci fi film I've ever seen. I watched it during space channel's top ten worst sci fi film marathon.

Someone has to explain what exactly made them like it. According to this film, the world's finest military personnel can be destroyed rather swiftly but a bunch of neanderthals can become pilot aces and take back the planet. Apparently someone had also been paying the electric bill and maintaining reactor stations in order to give power to this military hanger and of course fuel does not evaporate over time nor do planes disentegrate over long periods of time exposed to the elements. And what kind of an invading army with superior technology can detect new areas to mine but completely miss fort knox and thousands miracuously perfect and pristine gold bars.
It's easy, ignore all the glaring plot holes, and focus on the wonderful SFX. That's all I ever did back when this movie came out.

The movie does seriously mess up a lot of details. Except for the last part you mentioned; I think the Fort Knox stuff was in the book too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:46 AM   #11
andyman1970 andyman1970 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
andyman1970's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
44
42
7
Send a message via AIM to andyman1970 Send a message via Yahoo to andyman1970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintNoSin View Post
I think it's a good candidate for a Betamax and HD-DVD release, but that's it.
I think all copies of this movie need to be buried in the same land fill where all the Atari ET games were disposed of.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
AintNoSin (01-21-2015)
Old 06-21-2011, 01:53 AM   #12
Pirate King Pirate King is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Pirate King's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Texas
25
1851
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_The_Strange View Post
If they Blu-Ray it, I would buy it.





Seriously.





What?



So would I. ........ seriously... but I would keep it hid.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:27 AM   #13
SethRex SethRex is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
SethRex's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
566
6
619
1
6
111
Default

I'd easily buy this movie...and keep it right were the B labeled movies are in my collection.

Edit: Then I realized that I was the OP of this thread after the fact lol.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #14
DetroitSportsFan DetroitSportsFan is offline
Hot Deals Moderator
 
DetroitSportsFan's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Michigan
1041
6
52
Default

WB is releasing it in Japan in April, so expect a US announcement soon.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/バトルフ...783240&sr=1-27
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #15
Fangmacher Fangmacher is offline
Member
 
Fangmacher's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
Default

I ordered a copy of the Japanese edition from Amazon and it should be here come Monday or Tuesday. It'll be interesting to see if it was worth dropping Twilight Time money on it. At the very least, hopefully it's in proper 2.35, unlike the cropped German edition.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:45 PM   #16
Fangmacher Fangmacher is offline
Member
 
Fangmacher's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
Default

I just received the Japanese Blu in the mail today... not worth the $35 I paid for it, but I don't regret getting it.

This Blu looks and sounds like total ass. Sure, it's in its proper aspect ratio, but it's upscale city PQ-wise, and the "DTS-HD MA" track sounds like a blatant DD 5.1 upconvert. I really wish I had a BD drive and good software to take screencaps of it, but I sadly don't.

But what's amazing about this is that it's the original theatrical version, not the "Special Edition" re-edit that WB released on DVD back in the day. The fabled "man-animals can't fly" sequence is here, and it's as hilariously bad as you were probably expecting it to be. Still wouldn't have paid that much money for it if I knew this Blu would look like crap, but it's cool to have this cut anyway.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:13 AM   #17
MiracleandWonder MiracleandWonder is offline
Expert Member
 
Aug 2012
142
121
Default

Admittedly I would buy it because I love bad movies (Manos is my most anticipated upcoming release) and this fits right in. I viewed it as a comedy and in that sense it works. Travolta saying "man animal" over and over was a laugh riot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #18
andrew4627 andrew4627 is offline
Junior Member
 
Aug 2015
Default

haha this movie was awful
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:05 AM   #19
Streamingsux Streamingsux is offline
New Member
 
Feb 2018
Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangmacher View Post
I just received the Japanese Blu in the mail today... not worth the $35 I paid for it, but I don't regret getting it.

This Blu looks and sounds like total ass. Sure, it's in its proper aspect ratio, but it's upscale city PQ-wise, and the "DTS-HD MA" track sounds like a blatant DD 5.1 upconvert. I really wish I had a BD drive and good software to take screencaps of it, but I sadly don't.

But what's amazing about this is that it's the original theatrical version, not the "Special Edition" re-edit that WB released on DVD back in the day. The fabled "man-animals can't fly" sequence is here, and it's as hilariously bad as you were probably expecting it to be. Still wouldn't have paid that much money for it if I knew this Blu would look like crap, but it's cool to have this cut anyway.
Hello. Believe it or not...I just joined to get confirmation on something in this one quote. I've lurked this site for years and use it for all of my blu-ray info. I'm somewhat of a masochist I guess because I'm about to buy a blu ray of Battlefield Earth. I almost got the German release until I saw the issue with incorrect aspect ratio. The packaging for the Japanese release also lists it as 1.78. But you say you do or did own it and it really is in 2.35? Thank you in advance for your time and any info..

Last edited by Streamingsux; 02-01-2018 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Spelling error
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Battlefield Earth Scriptwriter Apologizes!(could of been Schindler's List of Sci-Fi) Movies Foggy 15 03-31-2010 10:27 PM
Planet Earth/Earth (Biography Collection) - 6 Disc Set for $55 @ FS Canadian Deals percyhanna 13 04-25-2009 04:42 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:20 PM.