Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Revenge (Blu-ray)
$6.99

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

The X-Files: The Complete Season 11 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Legion: The Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Skyscraper 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

A Cure for Wellness (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Fargo: Year Two (Blu-ray)
$6.99

Heat (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Spy Who Dumped Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Blu-ray)
$3.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Default Battlefield Earth

I know the majority hates this movie, but for those few of us that do like it, who else besides me would want this movie on Blu-Ray? Movie may generally suck but audio/visual quality should be great.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #2

Feb 2010
Rochester Hills, MI

I am pretty sure I saw this for sale at Costco the other day on BR... I almost picked it up but I already have it on regular and don't watch it enough to pick it up on BR but I do think it is quite a bit better than most.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #3

Jul 2010
Canada

I would LOVE to see this title on blu! I think it's one of my favourite movies (contrary to popular opinion). If/When it comes out it's on my top BD list!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Funny how such a terrible film got such a great dvd release. I'm sorry but it is the worst sci fi film I've ever seen. I watched it during space channel's top ten worst sci fi film marathon.

Someone has to explain what exactly made them like it. According to this film, the world's finest military personnel can be destroyed rather swiftly but a bunch of neanderthals can become pilot aces and take back the planet. Apparently someone had also been paying the electric bill and maintaining reactor stations in order to give power to this military hanger and of course fuel does not evaporate over time nor do planes disentegrate over long periods of time exposed to the elements. And what kind of an invading army with superior technology can detect new areas to mine but completely miss fort knox and thousands miracuously perfect and pristine gold bars.

Last edited by Hatter; 07-18-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Special Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethRex View Post
I know the majority hates this movie, but for those few of us that do like it, who else besides me would want this movie on Blu-Ray? Movie may generally suck but audio/visual quality should be great.
I liked it, of course I never read the book either.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
Above the Convenience Store

I think it's a good candidate for a Betamax and HD-DVD release, but that's it.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #7

Oct 2009
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Funny how such a terrible film got such a great dvd release. I'm sorry but it is the worst sci fi film I've ever seen. I watched it during space channel's top ten worst sci fi film marathon.

Someone has to explain what exactly made them like it. According to this film, the world's finest military personnel can be destroyed rather swiftly but a bunch of neanderthals can become pilot aces and take back the planet. Apparently someone had also been paying the electric bill and maintaining reactor stations in order to give power to this military hanger and of course fuel does not evaporate over time nor do planes disentegrate over long periods of time exposed to the elements. And what kind of an invading army with superior technology can detect new areas to mine but completely miss fort knox and thousands miracuously perfect and pristine gold bars.
I loved the film (haven't read the book nor do I intend to, movies are a superior medium in my opinion) and I understand your point about how silly it is for cavemen to take back the planet against a much more advanced race, but sometimes you just gotta ignore plot holes like that to better enjoy movies.

I think what attracts me the most about this movie is the whole aspect of an advanced race enslaving an inferior one. I wonder what it would be like if that happened, and this movie gives you an idea of how it could be.

I'll preorder this blu-ray as soon as it's up. Apart from Jurassic Park, I can't think of another movie other than Battlefield Earth that I want on blu-ray so badly.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Expert Member

Aug 2010

I am surprised Battlefield Earth hasn't become an ironic cult classic like The Room or Showgirls has. I remember renting the movie and being thoroughly entertained because it was a great comedy. For $10 or less I'd probably get it on Blu-Ray because I enjoy camp cinema.

I remember some years back seeing this Travolta biography that was made right as Battlefield Earth came out that talked about how it was the latest blockbuster of his that would be up there with Pulp Fiction, Grease and Saturday Night Fever in terms of pop culture impact....
Old 05-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

If they Blu-Ray it, I would buy it.

Seriously.

What?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post

It's easy, ignore all the glaring plot holes, and focus on the wonderful SFX. That's all I ever did back when this movie came out.

The movie does seriously mess up a lot of details. Except for the last part you mentioned; I think the Fort Knox stuff was in the book too.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:46 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Send a message via AIM to andyman1970 Send a message via Yahoo to andyman1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintNoSin View Post
I think it's a good candidate for a Betamax and HD-DVD release, but that's it.
I think all copies of this movie need to be buried in the same land fill where all the Atari ET games were disposed of.
Thanks given by:
AintNoSin (01-21-2015)
Old 06-21-2011, 01:53 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_The_Strange View Post
If they Blu-Ray it, I would buy it.

Seriously.

What?

So would I. ........ seriously... but I would keep it hid.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:27 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009

I'd easily buy this movie...and keep it right were the B labeled movies are in my collection.

Edit: Then I realized that I was the OP of this thread after the fact lol.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #14
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Michigan

WB is releasing it in Japan in April, so expect a US announcement soon.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/バトルフ...783240&sr=1-27
Old 07-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #15

Feb 2015

I ordered a copy of the Japanese edition from Amazon and it should be here come Monday or Tuesday. It'll be interesting to see if it was worth dropping Twilight Time money on it. At the very least, hopefully it's in proper 2.35, unlike the cropped German edition.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:45 PM   #16

Feb 2015

I just received the Japanese Blu in the mail today... not worth the $35 I paid for it, but I don't regret getting it.

This Blu looks and sounds like total ass. Sure, it's in its proper aspect ratio, but it's upscale city PQ-wise, and the "DTS-HD MA" track sounds like a blatant DD 5.1 upconvert. I really wish I had a BD drive and good software to take screencaps of it, but I sadly don't.

But what's amazing about this is that it's the original theatrical version, not the "Special Edition" re-edit that WB released on DVD back in the day. The fabled "man-animals can't fly" sequence is here, and it's as hilariously bad as you were probably expecting it to be. Still wouldn't have paid that much money for it if I knew this Blu would look like crap, but it's cool to have this cut anyway.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:13 AM   #17
Expert Member

Aug 2012

Admittedly I would buy it because I love bad movies (Manos is my most anticipated upcoming release) and this fits right in. I viewed it as a comedy and in that sense it works. Travolta saying "man animal" over and over was a laugh riot.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #18

Aug 2015

haha this movie was awful
Old 02-01-2018, 04:05 AM   #19

Feb 2018
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangmacher View Post
I just received the Japanese Blu in the mail today... not worth the $35 I paid for it, but I don't regret getting it.

This Blu looks and sounds like total ass. Sure, it's in its proper aspect ratio, but it's upscale city PQ-wise, and the "DTS-HD MA" track sounds like a blatant DD 5.1 upconvert. I really wish I had a BD drive and good software to take screencaps of it, but I sadly don't.

But what's amazing about this is that it's the original theatrical version, not the "Special Edition" re-edit that WB released on DVD back in the day. The fabled "man-animals can't fly" sequence is here, and it's as hilariously bad as you were probably expecting it to be. Still wouldn't have paid that much money for it if I knew this Blu would look like crap, but it's cool to have this cut anyway.
Hello. Believe it or not...I just joined to get confirmation on something in this one quote. I've lurked this site for years and use it for all of my blu-ray info. I'm somewhat of a masochist I guess because I'm about to buy a blu ray of Battlefield Earth. I almost got the German release until I saw the issue with incorrect aspect ratio. The packaging for the Japanese release also lists it as 1.78. But you say you do or did own it and it really is in 2.35? Thank you in advance for your time and any info..

Last edited by Streamingsux; 02-01-2018 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists