Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

The Equalizer 2 (Blu-ray)
$26.34
22 hrs ago
Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Night Strangler (Blu-ray)
$19.34
10 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$24.99
20 hrs ago
Venom 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Crazy Rich Asians (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The House of the Devil (Blu-ray)
$8.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Old 02-02-2018, 01:33 AM   #121

Jul 2017

A few years ago, my local Sanity store was selling a batch of nice region-free Sony Blu-ray players for about $100. So I bought one.
With a bit of combined shipping, I've tended to be happy to order my discs from wherever in the world I need to, in order to get them in whatever the best format is.

I regularly use http://www.dvdcompare.net as a starting point. And if a local Blu-ray release is significantly inferior to a foreign one, I'll find a way to get the foreign one. Ultimately, I've never experienced the annoyance (expressed here) about lack of local releases... but I realize not everyone is lucky enough to have a region-free player.

PS. I hate streaming also But I still love DVD.
Recently bought a rare DVD of an old french film for $110, as it's not available on Blu-ray (and most likely never will be).

I grew up with VHS, so I still appreciate DVD quality, especially if it's the best option available (in the world) for a particular title, especially older films.
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (02-09-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 05:35 AM   #122
Special Member

May 2009
Sydney Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
[I]
All the while, UK/Germany continue to get BD releases (at least importing from Amazon UK is a reasonable alternative):

Well Germany is getting HAWAII FIVE 0 SEASON 7..... 4 more than what we ever got (oh.. and they are no longer available here !!)

I'll get around to grabbing them - when I work my way thru the 1st 3 seasons....

Last edited by shireguy; 02-02-2018 at 05:40 AM.
Thanks given by:
Gomephrus (02-10-2018), Rick Grimes (02-09-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #123

Aug 2010
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
Your right there "Zombie Kermit"...It is lucky, and a surprise, that Agents of Shield went for 3 seasons on BD, considering the US network it airs on (ABC) is not a huge supporter of TV on Blu-Ray.

More bad news for Australian TV on Blu-Ray as another title bites the dust in Australia... And after 4 fracking seasons on BD no less!

The Chicago Fire S5 release next week is DVD only (S1-4 BD still available).

Sanity -
JB HiFi -

All the while, UK/Germany continue to get BD releases (at least importing from Amazon UK is a reasonable alternative):

This is really annoying, I contacted them and they confirmed no Season 5 on blu-ray but gave no reason. The first 4 seasons weren't exactly cheap either. Guess I will be forced to import from the UK.
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (02-09-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #124

Feb 2013

Is there anyone I can contact to find out whether we're getting Agents of SHIELD? I'd just really like to know, since it's the difference in having a complete MCU collection.
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (02-09-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #125
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Kermit View Post
Is there anyone I can contact to find out whether we're getting Agents of SHIELD? I'd just really like to know, since it's the difference in having a complete MCU collection.
Given no other country has AOS S4 on BD I would not hold my breathe with Disney. May appear in Germany or Japan but they are on a much slower release schedule than UK or Australia.

It seems S4 is only available digitally so far as in UK is on Amazon Video & Prime or iTunes.

No sign of a DVD either though.
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:05 PM   #126
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreigncontaminant View Post
PS. I hate streaming also But I still love DVD.
Recently bought a rare DVD of an old french film for $110, as it's not available on Blu-ray (and most likely never will be).

I grew up with VHS, so I still appreciate DVD quality, especially if it's the best option available (in the world) for a particular title, especially older films.
While I have a Region Free and Sony Region A player, I hate having to import.

And I hate DVD for:

1. Poor PQ (any DVD upscaled to 1080p can’t come close to matching native 1080p). Even 1080i Foxtel presentations OR HD broadcasts look way better than upscaling a DVD.

2. 4% PAL speedup, causing music/voices to be faster and pitch issues that are out half an octave... Something I am very passionate about (as you will see below).

I watch a lot of US TV on BD. It is very annoying to go back to an Aussie PAL conversion after watching 1-2 seasons of a TV show.
I find NTSC to PAL conversion is especially noticeable with theme music/soundtracks. Deeper voices also cause me to cringe when watching US TV or films in PAL.
In the Walking Dead, Rick Grime’s (Andrew Lincoln) voice uttering the often mocked gutteral way he says “Carl” does not sound right in PAL broadcasts; and his voice is “tinny” and noticeably higher pitched. Morgan (Lennie James) as well, and those characters with deep voices (eg. Jon Bernthal as Shane) are more evident and affected.
Same goes with Jon Snow in Game of Thrones, his voice is just not the same (Tyrion and Tywin too).
*TWD, GOT and FTWD are the only shows I can’t wait for BD releases (watch on Foxtel, watch again on BD). Westworld will also be added to that list this year.

For a great example of how the 4% PAL speedup conversion from 24fps to 25 progressive frames (50i) causes the pitch to be out, try UK/Aussie release of The Deer Hunter on BD. Try playing the title theme and swapping between the 5.1 and 2.0 tracks. The 5.1 is PAL pitch (speed corrected in some kind of Studio Canal f*ck up), and the 2.0 is the correct 24fps speed/pitch. The difference stands out like dogs balls.
OR
Any Doctor Who fans out there (and sadly this is an issue across BD), try listening to Doctor Who S1-4 on BD (1080p/24) vs. either Aus/UK S5-10 BD (1080i/50) or the S1-4 DVDs (576i/50). Reason being, when DW was released on BD, due to the US market (US can’t play PAL), they converted the PAL broadcasts of DW to 24fps and released the Blu’s internationally.
Hence, the S1-4 theme music will be slower and sound deeper, due to PAL slowdown (converting in the other direction PAL (25fps) to 24fps).
OR
compare a BD of a US TV show’s theme to a DVD (if you have both).
OR
grab an Aussie movie BD release that has DVD + BD. Go to a point in the movie with any music and compare how they sound. Try it with the actors voices as well... That half an octave can often be very annoying. It takes effort tuning it out (and any music you know well will bring the issue back to the fore).

Whether it is the Star Wars theme, The Simpsons (very noticeable), Modern Family OR The X-Files, if you have heard a US TV show theme on Aussie TV many times, when you hear the BD version, you will think “Wow, that music has a slower tempo” and the notes will sound deeper.
Be warned though: Once you start noticing the phenomenon of “PAL speedup” if you have a keen ear, it can be as frustrating as noticing banding; but with PAL speedup, it is constantly in your face.

And what really “grinds my gears” is that with modern editing suites, the pitch issue associated with PAL conversions can be corrected before transfer to DVD; but that would incur extra cost (obviously) and it appears the great majority of consumers are none the wiser anyway.
Since I was a pre-teen, I had always wondered why US film clips had different sounding music to the Cassette/CD I owned OR vice versa.

Thus, committed reader, all you have read here is why I feel that Blu-Ray has been such an important step-up in the fight against PAL speedup.
I can watch films like Resevior Dogs and Kill Bill on BD now, and the music sounds the same. Same with Pulp Fiction (UK/US BD’s at least), but beware of Aussie copies of Pulp Fiction and Muriel’s Wedding. They are PAL BDs (1080i/50) that should be 1080p24.

US TV and Blu-Ray should go together like bullets and guns, but unfortunately, we get less opportunities to watch US shows how they were meant to be seen and heard. Even if not for PQ, as I’m sure we can all agree that upscaled 1080p can’t compete with native 1080p. AQ is another factor too, but not just lossy vs. lossless, but having the correct pitch hit the ear (and the correct tempo) of a TV show IS important.

In conclusion (and the reason I came back to post on this thread today), distributors, in their arrogance and shortsightedness, have given us The Handmaid’s Tale on DVD only in Australia.

The winner of the Golden Globe for Best Drama is DVD only in Australia. WTF!
This is only the second time, since the inception of Blu-Ray (2006), that we don’t have a choice of Blu-Ray for the Globe’s Best Drama winner (The Affair [2014] had no BD release anywhere).
I realise it comes from a streaming platform, but the US has a BD release, why not us Aussies.
Please cease pushing an archaic medium that is 30 years old and allow the casual home video buyer to be get the best PQ/AQ and correct pitch/speed, that only comes with Blu-Ray.

Looks like I’m importing again. Will post the region coding for The Handmaid’s Tale as soon as I get a copy, as I strongly suggest that if you are interested in watching the show, go for the Blu-Ray. F*ck DVD! Especially Aussie PAL DVDs of film and US TV.

Last edited by Rick Grimes; 02-09-2018 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Fact corrected: The Affair (Globe winner 2014) was on BD; Grammar correction
Thanks given by:
Walrus Gumboot (02-14-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 04:02 AM   #127
Special Member

May 2013

I noticed The Handmaiden's DVD only Australian release. I will be purchasing the American Blu Ray myself as I don't stream.

Really hoping Mindhunter & Castle Rock end up on Blu Ray preferably here but if I have to import over a local DVD, I will.
Thanks given by:
Hucksta G (02-16-2018), Rick Grimes (02-14-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 01:32 PM   #128
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012

Another title to add to the list:
Animal Kingdom S2 (DVD only in Australia) - Feb 14.

US Blu-Ray was released by Warner a day earlier (Feb 13); which I’m positive would be a Region Free release. Australia could have used US disc pressing for Aussie sets.

S1 was released on BD in Australia, along with the DVD (Sep 7, 2017), and then DVD only for the second season! Super fracking frustrating...
An extra kick to the teeth: Animal Kingdom is a US TV series, based on the premise from a terrific Aussie movie.

And speaking of Australian... Cleverman S2 (ABC TV Series), never got a S2 release on BD (Sep 2017 DVD only) after a S1 BD release.

Last edited by Rick Grimes; 02-17-2018 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Cleverman S2
Old 04-02-2018, 11:38 PM   #129
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012

FYI, anyone looking for the AMC series Turn:Washington Spies on BD (DVD only in Australia), S1 is available in the US (most likely Region A locked), S1-4 is available on German Amazon. Another show I would have bought if available in Australia. (Watched a couple of eps on Foxtel... Not bad).

Old 04-03-2018, 04:28 AM   #130

Jun 2011
Adelaide, South Australia

I noticed in JB the other day Season 4 of The Americans on DVD. I really enjoyed the first season, which I regularly see in 2 for $40 deals, such a shame that no following seasons have been released on blu anywhere in the world.
I'd prefer to go without than watch it on DVD.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #131
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago119 View Post
I noticed in JB the other day Season 4 of The Americans on DVD. I really enjoyed the first season, which I regularly see in 2 for $40 deals, such a shame that no following seasons have been released on blu anywhere in the world.
I'd prefer to go without than watch it on DVD.
My sentiments exactly. I bought S1 (and I see that the final season, S6 is coming to Foxtel), and I would have bought S2-6 had “Pox” continued with BD releases.

Seems to be 20th Century Fox “modus operandi”, here and overseas, release a season (or two) on BD and then DVD only from then (The Americans, The Bridge, Sleepy Hollow, Fargo, Empire, The Strain).
OR
drop BD after releasing 4 seasons (Modern Family S1-4)
OR
even after committing to 6 seasons of TV on BD (The Simpsons S13-17, S20 & Archer S1-6).
Old 04-06-2018, 05:28 AM   #132

Jun 2011
Adelaide, South Australia

Hopefully they release a complete box set at the conclusion of the 6th season. That I would definitely be in for.
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (04-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #133
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012

The Strain has finally bit the dust on Blu-Ray here in Australia with the news that The Strain Season 4 has gone DVD only (despite JB’s Stack magazine including both DVD & BD symbols under the shows “review”).

While Australia was lucky to get S3 (the US didn’t) it is interesting to note that only 3 other countries did get a S3 BD (incl. Japan and France).

Thus, The Strain becomes another victim of 20th Century Fox’s international neglect of TV on Blu-Ray.
Thanks given by:
stevo4264 (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 02:45 AM   #134

Feb 2011
Australia

I've honestly given up on TV shows on Blu. Some smaller moves are not even getting a release on Blu-ray either these days, so most TV series definitely going to get the this treatment we're all used to.

I was tempted to grab Legion: Season 1 but that show is so niche and strange I can't see Season 2 getting a release so I'm not even going to bother.

The only outstanding releases I MIGHT grab are all three seasons of Deadwood and maybe Suits - as Universal seem to be continuing to release those on Blu. Most other shows I just don't want to risk starting and then the studio bail on the format for the rest of the series run.
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (06-07-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #135
Special Member

May 2009
Sydney Australia

yep... you can add another to the 'Oz wont be getting this' list...

WILL AND GRACE - REVIVAL / S1
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (06-28-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #136
Special Member

May 2013

I see that Season 3 of Bloodline is released on DVD on 4 July.

Funny that Australia is the only place where Seasons 2 & 3 of Bloodline have been released anywhere in the world.
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (06-28-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #137
Expert Member

Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay166 View Post
I've honestly given up on TV shows on Blu. Some smaller moves are not even getting a release on Blu-ray either these days, so most TV series definitely going to get the this treatment we're all used to.

I was tempted to grab Legion: Season 1 but that show is so niche and strange I can't see Season 2 getting a release so I'm not even going to bother.

The only outstanding releases I MIGHT grab are all three seasons of Deadwood and maybe Suits - as Universal seem to be continuing to release those on Blu. Most other shows I just don't want to risk starting and then the studio bail on the format for the rest of the series run.
I wouldn't bother with that Deaddwood set, personally - the audio on one of the episodes is out of sync the whole way through.
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #138
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfingerboogie View Post
I wouldn't bother with that Deaddwood set, personally - the audio on one of the episodes is out of sync the whole way through.
I was advised that it had corrected the out of sync S2 discs. But then S1 & S2 had a horrible echoey effect due to a layering problem. I persevered through S1 and then returned all 3 seasons (first came out seperately) as S2 was sounding even worse...
So, I bought Deadwood from Amazon US; Region A, but absolutely worth it.
PQ was superior and no audio issues AND the digibook was fantastic.

I have checked the UK forum and have read that they have resolved the issue. If you buy a set with bad discs, I’m sure Paramount should send you replacement discs.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...239386&page=20
Old 08-18-2018, 07:12 AM   #139
Special Member

May 2009
Sydney Australia

Strange...

we get STRIKE BACK SEASON 5 on BD .... but we don't get season 3 or 4 ???

Old 08-18-2018, 07:36 AM   #140

Jan 2016
Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireguy View Post
Strange...

we get STRIKE BACK SEASON 5 on BD .... but we don't get season 3 or 4 ???

I thought was weird myself. That's what's stopping me from buying it as I want all the season
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia