Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Magnificent Ambersons (Blu-ray)
£17.99
1 hr ago
Nikita: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£14.00

Black Panther (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Black Panther 3D (Blu-ray)
£11.99

Star Wars: The Last Jedi 3D (Blu-ray)
£11.99

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Thor: 3 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
£19.99

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Blu-ray)
£10.00

Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Incredibles 2 3D (Blu-ray)
£17.98

Thor: Ragnarok (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Suits: Season Seven (Blu-ray)
£14.39

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 02-08-2018, 02:26 AM   #181
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
The point I was making was as the UK and Australia use the same region encode then it's more likely there will be a proper 1080i50 encode for the UK and Australia and 1080i60 for North America.
Interesting. Being in the US then, which would be the better choice, if they release both (in regards to Red Dwarf and the Tom Baker box)? MY 60Hz US TV doesn't display PAL, but I own a true region-B player (not a region-free) and it converts PAL to 60Hz very nicely for my TV. That said, which would be closer to "correct" for me - the US 60Hz set, which will be converted by the BBC but should have nice smooth motion like the US DVDs, or the UK set, which my player will need to convert anyways to 60Hz? And of course my next TV may end up being able to display PAL. You never know - my old set did but my current one doesn't. I currently own the UK blu-ray releases of the newer seasons of Doctor Who for the correct frame rate.

Growing up with Doctor Who in the US, I'm used to the pitch as it sounded in US broadcast. How would the UK sets sound to me regarding pitch, taking the 25fps into consideration? It was originally filmed in PAL, so did I always hear it slower and lower in pitch than it was?
Old 02-08-2018, 04:29 AM   #182
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Interesting. Being in the US then, which would be the better choice, if they release both (in regards to Red Dwarf and the Tom Baker box)? MY 60Hz US TV doesn't display PAL, but I own a true region-B player (not a region-free) and it converts PAL to 60Hz very nicely for my TV. That said, which would be closer to "correct" for me - the US 60Hz set, which will be converted by the BBC but should have nice smooth motion like the US DVDs, or the UK set, which my player will need to convert anyways to 60Hz? And of course my next TV may end up being able to display PAL. You never know - my old set did but my current one doesn't. I currently own the UK blu-ray releases of the newer seasons of Doctor Who for the correct frame rate.

Growing up with Doctor Who in the US, I'm used to the pitch as it sounded in US broadcast. How would the UK sets sound to me regarding pitch, taking the 25fps into consideration? It was originally filmed in PAL, so did I always hear it slower and lower in pitch than it was?
It's quite complicated.

NTSC to PAL results in a slowed-down image and higher pitch audio, but for some reason PAL to NTSC is unaffected. The only thing that an NTSC conversion inherits is lower resolution and and less stable colour.

When recording in PAL at 25fps there's no higher pitch audio because that its native frame rate.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:59 AM   #183
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Now I'm more confused. If I play a PAL DVD in a player that can convert to NTSC, the speed is 4% higher and the pitch is also 4% higher, is it not?
Old 02-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #184
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Now I'm more confused. If I play a PAL DVD in a player that can convert to NTSC, the speed is 4% higher and the pitch is also 4% higher, is it not?
Well it depends on the source material.

Red Dwarf or Doctor Who for example were shot in PAL and therefore there is no high pitch audio or speed-up because that is its native format. It's only if you take something that isn't PAL, such as NTSC video, and convert it to PAL that issues occur because you're manipulating the frame-rate, audio, etc.

So in your example if you took say a Star Trek PAL DVD then that would inherently have high pitch audio and speed-up.

I'll be honest I'm not an expert at this sort of thing, I only really know the basics, so I'm not sure ow much more I can help you, especially as I've never played a PAL DVD in an NTSC player.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:05 AM   #185
Special Member

Sep 2009

Great too see all 8 series in HD. I wonder if the could push to all 11. Lol i can see it being postponed again to squeeze in the other 3.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:31 AM   #186
Special Member

Feb 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey1987 View Post
Great too see all 8 series in HD. I wonder if the could push to all 11. Lol i can see it being postponed again to squeeze in the other 3.
You can already buy Blu-rays of Back to Earth, X, XI, and XII...

The Beebs might go for an ultimate box-set, but my guess is the decision at this point is just to put out the original newly-remastered series because most folks probably already own BTE-XII.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #187

May 2013
Liverpool

I think that within the UK the original run of Red Dwarf is considered a separate commercial entity to the new run so they couldn't be released in one big box set.

This is why Doug Naylor has said they had to pay a considerable amount of money to use a few clips from previous episodes in Mechocracy.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:33 AM   #188
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

It's a little complicated, but I think basically the rights issue is essentially this:

Naylor (and Grant?) own the concept and characters.
BBC own series 1-8.
UKTV own BtE onwards.

Just to muddy things, BBC Worldwide own a 50% share of UKTV and 2entertain distribute the new series on home media which is owned by BBC Worldwide. They are run as separate entities now though.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:16 AM   #189

Jun 2011
UK

Zavvi still showing the individual Series 1-5 release date as the 26th February 2018.

One week to the release and no cover-art or product details makes it seem unlikely but strange Zavvi haven’t changed the date or removed the listing if it has been cancelled.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:36 AM   #190
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

As discussed earlier Zoom and Amazon are both taking pre-orders for a 1 to 8 boxset on 1st October.

They have long since dropped the single series listings. Zavvi just very slow to update.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #191

May 2013
Wales

Eh went ahead and pre-ordered from Zoom using the SIGNUP10 code, £35.99 for S1-8 is pretty damn good.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #192
Expert Member

Sep 2011
UK

I did the same. I was still hoping the singles went out so we would know whether we were getting an upgraded picture or not. I don't believe for a second that it will be 16 discs.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #193

May 2013
Wales

I'd like to think all of the extras from the DVDs will be included, as those DVDs were some of the most comprehensive and packed I've ever seen for a sitcom. Lots of cool stuff on there.

Part of me is highly doubtful though.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:01 AM   #194
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2015
Airstrip One

Quote:
Originally Posted by figrin_dan View Post
I did the same. I was still hoping the singles went out so we would know whether we were getting an upgraded picture or not. I don't believe for a second that it will be 16 discs.
I'm inclined to believe BBC Worldwide will press the majority of the extra features on DVDs thus saving them an absolute shedload of money and making it conceivable that this could be a 16 disc set with a RRP of £40 to £50.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #195
Expert Member

Sep 2011
UK

Do you think they are just adding the already available bonus discs? That would be a shame.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #196
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

Maybe, maybe not. Depends what they do with the new discs.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:55 PM   #197

Jun 2011
UK

Contacted Zavvi today about the individual Series releases and the agent insisted they will be released on Monday, not convinced he wasnt just looking at the website though.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:44 AM   #198
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by openviews View Post
Contacted Zavvi today about the individual Series releases and the agent insisted they will be released on Monday, not convinced he wasnt just looking at the website though.

Somebody reply to a Zavvi message is just a ďdroneĒ in a customer service centre so not a clue. As you say just looking at website.

I though one of Grant Naylor has already confirmed not coming yet as they werenít happy to sign off the first upscale efforts. Almost certainly why delayed until the Christmas market. Also much better time to sell a boxset rather than individual series disks,
Old 02-22-2018, 06:27 PM   #199
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
NTSC to PAL results in a slowed-down image and higher pitch audio, but for some reason PAL to NTSC is unaffected.
Film runs 24 fps. PAL runs 25fps. NTSC runs 30fps. Converting film to NTSC involves duplicating frames every so often, so the image will stutter a bit but the timing won't be affected (much); converting PAL to NTSC is basically the same except that it requires 1 fewer duped frame to be added per second.

Because DVDs were still NTSC (or PAL), PAL speedup was still an issue. Now that HD runs 24fps, PAL speedup has been eliminated, but PAL slowdown has been created as an issue instead. Fortunately (well, kinda), there isn't much that was shot in PAL for which the source material exists in sufficiently quality to create HD versions, so it doesn't come up that often.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:32 PM   #200
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguamguy View Post
Film runs 24 fps. PAL runs 25fps. NTSC runs 30fps. Converting film to NTSC involves duplicating frames every so often, so the image will stutter a bit but the timing won't be affected (much); converting PAL to NTSC is basically the same except that it requires 1 fewer duped frame to be added per second.

Because DVDs were still NTSC (or PAL), PAL speedup was still an issue. Now that HD runs 24fps, PAL speedup has been eliminated, but PAL slowdown has been created as an issue instead. Fortunately (well, kinda), there isn't much that was shot in PAL for which the source material exists in sufficiently quality to create HD versions, so it doesn't come up that often.
HD doesnít automatically mean 24fps though, most U.K. produced content is still filmed 25fps so the BDs are encoded as 1080/25p but as that isnít supported by the format so they are instead decoded as 1080/50i

The few shows I have on BD that were originally 25fps but are presented on BD at 24fps donít sound that different to my ears but then I donít have the original 25fps versions to do a direct comparison.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland