Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Soon: Despicable Me 3-Movie Collecti… ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Blu-ray)
£15.99
16 hrs ago
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£24.99

A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
£7.49

Jurassic World: 2-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
£13.99
16 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1 & 2 4K (Blu-ray)
£24.99

Rampage (Blu-ray)
£7.49

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
£19.79

Peaky Blinders: The Complete Series 1, 2, 3 & 4 (Blu-ray)
£23.99

A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£21.39

Supergirl: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
£21.99

Dragon Ball Z Movie Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
£63.32

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 02-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Thread bump!

I know the anaglyph 3D version on the UK disc has been reframed for 16:9 (instead of the original 1:85.1 ratio that is on the 2D and US anaglyph 3D), but does it lose picture information from the sides at all?
Old 02-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #22

Apr 2016

The real 3d version of the film is quite impressive for depth of field. The old style 3d hurts my eyes after a while.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 01:41 AM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffcoll View Post
The real 3d version of the film is quite impressive for depth of field. The old style 3d hurts my eyes after a while.
When I eventually saw it, I was pretty disappointed with the anaglyph 3D on this and quite a few other releases. I stopped collecting anaglyph bds after realising that the effect ranged between does not work at all to doesn't work very well. I must stress that Friday the 13th part 3 works truly great in anaglyph 3D but I guess that was an exception to the rule. Nothing else even came close imo. btw I quite liked this remake so am happy to keep it for it's 2D presentation - so all is not lost.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

I’ve just ordered the US 3D anaglyph version (for the correct aspect ratio) and sold my UK copy. I need to pick up the BD3D release at some point when I can find it dirt cheap.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #25
Expert Member

Jul 2017
Elles Belles, Costa Plonka

I watched both the original and the remake with the Missus on the 14th, and the 3D works fine on the SD edition, so who knows what happened on the BD.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #26

Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I must stress that Friday the 13th part 3 works truly great in anaglyph 3D but I guess that was an exception to the rule.
I presume that's because it was shot for anaglyph 3D rather than converted in post however please tell me what release you're referring to and if the opening text credits are in 3D?

I bought the US DVD with the lenticular slip but found the 3D to be unwatchable plus the credits were flat2d. The Uk TV broadcast on C4 alongside Flesh for Frankenstein was much better and had 3D credits but used different colour glasses than the us disc. Maybe the later blu rays are better?
Old 02-24-2018, 04:14 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

My F13th 3 is a Canadian blu-ray. Credits are flat, the anaglyph 3D effect doesn't begin until they have finished. This release should be identical to the US blu-ray.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #28
Expert Member

Jul 2017

Quote:
My F13th 3 is a Canadian blu-ray. Credits are flat, the anaglyph 3D effect doesn't begin until they have finished. This release should be identical to the US blu-ray.
I have the American Blu, and the anaglyph 3D really is excellent. It was always a mystery as to why the obviously designed-for-3D credits weren't put through the process.

A great example of how good the results are comes near the start, when Larry Zerner wears a mask and slowly walks up the the rest of the gang whilst brandishing a knife. The sense of depth it creates is superb.

We all love the washing pole, too...

f13pole.jpg
Thanks given by:
SymbioticFunction (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 12:12 AM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteCount View Post
We all love the washing pole, too...
That was when I started to pay serious attention. Called my wife in to check it out. Shame that no other anaglyph 3D blu-ray appears to work anywhere near as well (I have tried out numerous available options). What's odd is that I don't think Friday the 13th part 3 was actually native anaglyph 3D on theatrical release. So it's strange that this one film works so well in that format.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:42 AM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK
Default Also...

Actually I just rewatched MBV in anaglyph 3D and I think that I may have been a bit harsh on it. There are some enjoyable 3D moments (although it does cause slightly sore eyes). It's just that F13th 3 is so damn good so that's the benchmark that I use. btw Seriously avoid Piranha and Coraline if you're interested in anaglyph - terrible examples of the format imo. Friday the 13th part 3 and My Bloody Valentine are way superior.

Last edited by SymbioticFunction; 02-25-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibon View Post
I presume that's because it was shot for anaglyph 3D rather than converted in post however please tell me what release you're referring to and if the opening text credits are in 3D?

I bought the US DVD with the lenticular slip but found the 3D to be unwatchable plus the credits were flat2d. The Uk TV broadcast on C4 alongside Flesh for Frankenstein was much better and had 3D credits but used different colour glasses than the us disc. Maybe the later blu rays are better?
Like the vast majority of 3D movies, Friday the 13th part III was shot for polarized 3D (it was in fact shot with the same camera used for Jaws 3D).

Very few movies were ever shot for and released in anaglyphic 3D. It is a common misconception, though, as some movies, which originally had been shown in polarized 3D, where converted to anaglyphic 3D for later re-releases and TV broadcasts in the 1970-1980s.

The 3-D Film Archive lists the original format of all known 3D features. This list is for features from 1966-1997. Anaglyphic productions are marked in green. As you can see, there are not that many of them (and a lot of them are only segments of a movie - like Freddy's Dead).
Old 02-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #32
Expert Member

Jul 2017

Quote:
What's odd is that I don't think Friday the 13th part 3 was actually native anaglyph 3D on theatrical release. So it's strange that this one film works so well in that format
For those still wondering about the difference in formats, here we go:

F13III (followed by Jaws III) used the Arrivision 3D process. It was a system where projectors utilising a special polarising lens, and the screen in the cinema needed to be of a particular reflective quality. The films was played normally on a projector, split through the lens into separate elements before traveling to the screen, where the reflective silver material bounced the image at such a pure and precise rate into the individual eyes of those in the audience that glasses were unnecessary.

It was played at cheaper venues in anaglyph 3D, proof of which comes from those still proudly in possession of their glasses from over three decades ago. Someone I know watched Jaws III in Anaglyph when it came out, and they said that the 3D was reasonably good, but it looked soft and the colours were (expectedly) awful. My sister-in-law saw at in Arrivision 3D-compatible cinema, and she said that the 3D was superb.

Last edited by CompleteCount; 02-25-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:32 PM   #33

May 2011
Around the World

Quote:
It's just that F13th 3 is so damn good so that's the benchmark that I use. btw Seriously avoid Piranha and Coraline if you're interested in anaglyph - terrible examples of the format imo. Friday the 13th part 3 and My Bloody Valentine are way superior.
Friday the 13th part 3 is one of the worst examples in anaglyph 3D.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:30 PM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
Friday the 13th part 3 is one of the worst examples in anaglyph 3D.
So which is the best?
Old 02-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #35

May 2011
Around the World

Quote:
So which is the best?
I donīt have many anaglyph movies, and the ones that I own have ghosting issues.

I agree when you say to avoid Piranha, but in my opinion, Friday the 13th 3 has extreme ghosting to the point that ir hurts my eyes.

Out of the 3, My Bloody Valentine is the best conversion.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:15 AM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Interesting. F13th never hurt my eyes but MBV does make them feel a little sore. I think the reason that F13th works so well is because it has fairly long camera shots for the 3D effects to really register as opposed to MBV's often quickly edited moments that also utilise the effect. btw Piranha and Coraline were really awful, seemed like the 3D didn't actually even work - for my eyes anyway. Would have also tried Polar Express had it not been out-of-print. I'd be interested to hear of any other anaglyph discs that are successful.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:40 AM   #37
Special Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
So which is the best?
The Mask is pretty good. Unlike most older 3-D films, it was intended to be released in anaglyph 3-D in it's original run. The gimmick of the film is that when the protagonist puts on an ancient and mysterious mask, strange visions appear.

It helps that it's a B&W film. It also helps that only a portion of the film is 3-D. Anaglyph 3-D is best served in smaller portions.
More info here, including some anaglyph 3-D stills.

The DVD version includes a replica Magic Mystic Mask and the original presentation with anaglyph segments incorporated into the film. The bluray in encoded for the 3D-Bluray format, but includes the anaglyph portion as a separate extra. They are US releases but are region free.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed checking out the anaglyph 3D captures.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:49 PM   #39
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK
Default Also...

Actually just bought 2 more anaglyph 3D blu-rays. A new copy of Final Destination 4 and a secondhand copy of 2008's Journey to the Center of the Earth. Cost just over five pounds for the 2 films which is what swayed me. Am hoping that the effect will be on par with F13th 3 and MBV and not another Piranha or Coraline situation. Will report back on quality of the anaglyph 3D effect in this thread.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:36 PM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK
Default Talking to myself I know

Saw some cool 3D vids of the two bds that I bought. Thought I'd share them:

Journey to the Center of the Earth - use magenta and green glasses (supplied with My Bloody Valentine and Coraline):

Final Destination 4 - use red and cyan (blue) glasses (supplied with F13th part 3 and Piranha):

Journey to the Center of the Earth's anaglyph 3D looks pretty cool.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland