Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Seven Heavenly Virtues: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
2 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete Eleventh Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99
14 hrs ago
Miller's Crossing (Blu-ray)
$5.99
5 hrs ago
The Glenn Miller Story (Blu-ray)
$15.57
5 hrs ago
Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.34

Bohemian Rhapsody (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$13.96

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Monster Musume Everyday Life With Monster Girls: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
4 hrs ago
Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$14.99

No Game, No Life Zero (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$5.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014
Maine, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Not out on Blu-ray unfortunately and the DVD is poor as well.

If we are including stuff like this though, what about Cat's Eye (which Subotsky co-produced and is very much in the style of Amicus horror anthologies with gory modern day tales mixed with humour) and The Birthday Party? The Birthday Party is as close to Amicus made as they come yet by a production quirk it is never included in lists of Amicus films.
I've debated whether to include it as an honorable mention because it does fit the horror anthology aspect that many Amicus films had and Subotsky is a co-producer on it but eventually decided to leave it off for a few reasons. For one, it's an American production instead of British, Subotsky isn't lead producer on it (that honor goes to the Laurentiis'), and it's almost a decade after Amicus shuttered. Plus, I think most people would immediately relate Cat's Eye with Stephen King. It's kind of funny though that this film and The Uncanny feature felines as a running theme.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:16 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014
Maine, USA

Credit to Akijama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post
Very glad this film is seeing the light of day, way overdue.
Thanks given by:
Pecker (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #23
Special Member

Jun 2011
Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatauhobbit View Post
Credit to Akijama

Very glad this film is seeing the light of day, way overdue.
COME! ON!!

Old 05-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #24
Power Member

Nov 2012

I've been upgrading my Amicus DVD's to bluray.

The Skull (1965) has just come to an end. The Eureka U.K. bluray is said to have the higher bitrate and hence a slightly superior picture, but I bought the Kino because of the commentary by Tim Lucas. His insights and often surprising associations have enriched my appreciation of this film. It's always been a favorite, and Kino's transfer is excellent. Freddie Francis had directed horror films before, but he really comes into his own on The Skull. With it's prolonged thriller scenes without dialog and the skull's point of view shots, this is the work of an assured director with a visual style all his own. I love how he fills the widescreen frame with deep focus, co-ordinated color and ominous imagery. This is one of the best directed horror films of the sixties, with several memorable sequences, superbly shot by Francis and his dp. The two featurettes are a nice, informative bonus.

Indicator's region-free bluray Torture Garden (1967) is an outstanding package. The superb transfer gives me a new appreciation for the film, both for its storytelling and its craftsmanship. I used to think of it as just another B horror film, but after watching this transfer I now regard Torture Garden as a major horror film of the 1960s. Each of the stories are well-acted and visually well-told by director Francis. In the bonus section, the interview with Francis is about 77 minutes and worth the price of the disc alone.

Both discs are essential if you enjoy Amicus films.
Thanks given by:
Mr. Thomsen (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #25
Power Member

Nov 2012

So far as I know They Came From Beyond Space (1969) is not on bluray.
What's the best DVD edition, anyone know?

The Terrornauts (1967) wasn't Amicus, was it?
Old 05-27-2018, 09:30 AM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post
So far as I know They Came From Beyond Space (1969) is not on bluray.
What's the best DVD edition, anyone know?

The Terrornauts (1967) wasn't Amicus, was it?
UK Optimum/StudioCanal I believe.

The Terrornauts is Amicus, and They Came From Beyond Space's partner. Network DVD of that if you're interested, it has both cuts. It's one of those so ludicrously bad it's fun movies.
Thanks given by:
Richard--W (07-14-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 08:13 PM   #27
Expert Member

Oct 2007

Since this thread popped up again, I will add that "The House That Dripped Blood" Blu-ray is excellent. One of the best anthology horror films with a great cast all on a really great looking Blu-ray image.
Thanks given by:
Richard--W (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #28
Banned

May 2018

With They Came from Beyond Space the UK Studio Canal disc was / is the first official option. The film was available previously but they did seem to be bootlegs and with bootleg looking quality so best avoided
Old 07-14-2018, 09:26 AM   #29
Power Member

Nov 2012

Indicator is releasing The Mind of Mr. Soames (1969) on bluray, region-free, September 24. This used to air on television occasionally. Just saw it listed on amazon while shopping for something else. Not a horror film, but a poignant drama about a man who wakes up from a coma after thirty years on live television. He has the mind of a child but he's also a grown man who doesn't understand the world he's woke up into. His doctors and the people who supposedly care about him exploit him, and it all goes to hell. Except for the doctor played by Robert Vaughn. Based on a chamber play. A sad film, atypical of Amicus, but worthwhile. It resembles the much-lauded Charley with Cliff Robertson.

Perhaps Indicator / Powerhouse will bring out Danger Route (1968) next, another overlooked Amicus Production.
Thanks given by:
deltatauhobbit (07-16-2018), Mb37985 (07-14-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014
Maine, USA

[Show spoiler]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post

Indicator is releasing The Mind of Mr. Soames (1969) on bluray, region-free, September 24. This used to air on television occasionally. Just saw it listed on amazon while shopping for something else. Not a horror film, but a poignant drama about a man who wakes up from a coma after thirty years on live television. He has the mind of a child but he's also a grown man who doesn't understand the world he's woke up into. His doctors and the people who supposedly care about him exploit him, and it all goes to hell. Except for the doctor played by Robert Vaughn. Based on a chamber play. A sad film, atypical of Amicus, but worthwhile. It resembles the much-lauded Charley with Cliff Robertson.

Perhaps Indicator / Powerhouse will bring out Danger Route (1968) next, another overlooked Amicus Production.

Thanks for the update, added it in. Hopefully Indicator does put out some additional Amicus films, I know I'd like From Beyond the Grave to get released so we can have all their anthologies finally available.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America