Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.93

A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$9.81

No Game, No Life Zero (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Cross Ange: Rondo of Angel and Dragon: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.34

Seven Heavenly Virtues: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$13.96

Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Bohemian Rhapsody (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-07-2018, 01:44 AM   #81

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema74 View Post
Yeah, it looks kinda rough - not like HD at all. PQ was one of Lionsgate's selling points when they introduced the line but now it seems they're gotten to the point where they're comfortable recycling older masters. I wouldn't mind so much if the price points were lower. I had to bite my tongue and accept a damaged slipcover on Class of 1999 because of the stupid eco case. Not really worth $30.
Not me - mine came with one of the corners smashed a little bit. Had Amazon send me a new one.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:22 AM   #82

Aug 2012
Above ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
They were recycling old masters from the beginning. Waxwork looks pretty weak, and it's clearly an old master when compared to the much-better German release. Thankfully Chopping Mall looks pretty great.
Hey Bro, do you mean THIS film compared to the German release...? I was reading this thread specifically to see if anyone has compared the German release of this film here to this new release? The review here of this one is not that great. I have the German release, so I was curious if anyone has compared them.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2018, 06:32 AM   #83
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheofheaven View Post
Hey Bro, do you mean THIS film compared to the German release...? I was reading this thread specifically to see if anyone has compared the German release of this film here to this new release? The review here of this one is not that great. I have the German release, so I was curious if anyone has compared them.

Thanks!
No, I was referring to Waxwork with that comment. The German blu-ray of Waxwork is clearly a newer transfer and imo much better than the Vestron release.
Thanks given by:
Latheofheaven (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 07:20 AM   #84

Aug 2012
Above ground

Quote:
No, I was referring to Waxwork with that comment. The German blu-ray of Waxwork is clearly a newer transfer and imo much better than the Vestron release.
Yeah, kinda thought so... That's good to know, though, I REALLY like that film too!

Well, if anyone DOES know what the German release of this film looks like compared to this one, that would be great, thanks!
Old 02-09-2018, 03:47 PM   #85
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

Quote:
Yeah, kinda thought so... That's good to know, though, I REALLY like that film too!

Well, if anyone DOES know what the German release of this film looks like compared to this one, that would be great, thanks!
I believe scream caps were posted in the Waxwork thread. The German edition is clearly better as far as picture quality is concerned. I'll see if I can rustle them up.

Edit: Link to the thread post with photos

Last edited by TripleHBK; 02-09-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Thanks given by:
Latheofheaven (02-09-2018), Monroville (02-19-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #86
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
NY/NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Souvenir View Post
Not me - mine came with one of the corners smashed a little bit. Had Amazon send me a new one.
Just asked for a replacement. Felt a little slimy asking for a replacement 9 days after I got the item but they're ultimately responsible for ensuring people get stuff they paid for in good condition, right?
Thanks given by:
Jacques Souvenir (02-18-2018), Latheofheaven (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #87

Aug 2012
Above ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleHBK View Post
I believe scream caps were posted in the Waxwork thread. The German edition is clearly better as far as picture quality is concerned. I'll see if I can rustle them up.

Thanks Bro! I will check those out too. I was mainly asking though about the German release of this film here and their comparison. But, thank you!
Old 02-09-2018, 07:44 PM   #88

Aug 2012
Above ground

Quote:

Oh HELL yeah! No bloody comparison at all. Very good to know mate, thanks again!
Old 02-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #89
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

Quote:
Oh HELL yeah! No bloody comparison at all. Very good to know mate, thanks again!
Ha, I typed scream but meant screen. I was reading the scream thread right before I came into this one. Glad the caps helped.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #90

Aug 2012
Above ground

Quote:
Ha, I typed scream but meant screen. I was reading the scream thread right before I came into this one. Glad the caps helped.
I just figured that you were excitable
Old 02-14-2018, 09:33 PM   #91

Oct 2016

Watched this last night for the first time and I enjoyed it, pretty good Vestron release, glad it's finally out. I liked the cast and the effects were surprisingly decent. I also enjoyed the interview with Director\Writer Mark L. Lester, especially the bit of him talking about the cost of Stacy Keache's wig haha, the brief moment he mentions Trent Reznor \ NiN was cool too. The sequel seems entertaining too, hopefully that sees the light of day.
Thanks given by:
Latheofheaven (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:50 AM   #92

May 2013

Can anyone verify whether it's the unrated version or not?

[Show spoiler]One sequence is near the end when a teen gets his head drilled by the teacher. It shows a very brief shot of the drill penetrating his skull.
Other than that bit, the other cuts are nearly impossible to tell the difference unless viewing side by side. So the above moment is the best way to tell what version it is.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #93
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Wow, the caps are up on caps-a-holic, comparing this and the German release. Both are crap imo. The German is complete garbage - literally a SD upscale. The Lionsgate certainly looks noticeably better, but that's not saying much. There's a distinct lack of detail, and although the German upscale clearly had a strong magenta push to it, the Lionsgate is drained of color, and has a teal tint to the whole thing. This film deserved far better treatment. Sadly it looks to me like the Vestron blu-ray line is mostly a disappointment, with several titles using old, dated masters. That's just what this looks like to me - an old, dated master.
Thanks given by:
Latheofheaven (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 12:11 PM   #94
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
NY/NJ

Quote:
Wow, the caps are up on caps-a-holic, comparing this and the German release. Both are crap imo. The German is complete garbage - literally a SD upscale. The Lionsgate certainly looks noticeably better, but that's not saying much. There's a distinct lack of detail, and although the German upscale clearly had a strong magenta push to it, the Lionsgate is drained of color, and has a teal tint to the whole thing. This film deserved far better treatment. Sadly it looks to me like the Vestron blu-ray line is mostly a disappointment, with several titles using old, dated masters. That's just what this looks like to me - an old, dated master.
There's a post over on the Vestron thread from someone who has been in contact with a Lionsgate rep. They said they're having trouble locating usable elements for these releases. While that's certainly disappointing, I still want them to keep the line going even if that means going with subpar elements. There are 14 Vestron titles released so far and the majority of them look anywhere from decent to excellent. This isn't a case where settling for "acceptable" releases means letting the studio off the hook or that we're forgiving mediocrity - these films just haven't been taken care of properly and it's not Lionsgate's fault. I'll keep supporting the line until the end.
Thanks given by:
Latheofheaven (02-17-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 07:43 AM   #95
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
There's a post over on the Vestron thread from someone who has been in contact with a Lionsgate rep. They said they're having trouble locating usable elements for these releases. While that's certainly disappointing, I still want them to keep the line going even if that means going with subpar elements. There are 14 Vestron titles released so far and the majority of them look anywhere from decent to excellent. This isn't a case where settling for "acceptable" releases means letting the studio off the hook or that we're forgiving mediocrity - these films just haven't been taken care of properly and it's not Lionsgate's fault. I'll keep supporting the line until the end.
Maybe, but then how does Germany end up with a far better release of Waxwork? How does Arrow, Synapse, Shout, Code Red, Scorpion, and other small labels manage to release quality discs?
Thanks given by:
Monroville (02-19-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #96
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
NY/NJ

Quote:
Maybe, but then how does Germany end up with a far better release of Waxwork? How does Arrow, Synapse, Shout, Code Red, Scorpion, and other small labels manage to release quality discs?
Is the German release of Waxwork really "far" better? Even if it is, it's a one-in-a-million rarity. I have plenty of Blu-rays imported from Germany and the majority are nowhere near demo material, let me tell ya. As for the other labels you mentioned, each one one has it's own "code of conduct" so to speak. Arrow and Synapse go over their titles with a fine tooth comb before they release them, hence the constant delays and long gestation periods respectively. Code Red does good work but many of their titles are riddled with print damage. Scorpion are also good but they seem to sweep issues under the rug. They won't even acknowledge the audio echo issue on Humongous, for instance. I've always said indy labels generally release higher-quality titles than major studios and I still stand by that.
Thanks given by:
Latheofheaven (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #97
Power Member

Sep 2012
The British Empire

Quote:
The above are boutique labels who pride themselves in releasing top notch a/v for low budget and underground films.

Lionsgate is a film studio which owns a huge back catalogue of films it has a acquired over the years. They are not in the business of doing big restoration and clean ups of old films they happen to own but never poduced.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #98
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Just Outside of the Alliance's Reach

Quote:

This is hyperbole and makes me doubt you've seen it, only playing screenshot scientist.

Having owned both dvd versions and now this, it's a significant upgrade. Is a full restoration? No. But calling it a minor upgrade from DVD is patently false and I'm glad to own this.
Thanks given by:
GasmaskAvenger (02-18-2018), Latheofheaven (02-18-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 02:14 AM   #99
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
This is hyperbole and makes me doubt you've seen it, only playing screenshot scientist.

Having owned both dvd versions and now this, it's a significant upgrade. Is a full restoration? No. But calling it a minor upgrade from DVD is patently false and I'm glad to own this.
Okay, whatever. It's not a great-looking disc. I said it's better than the DVD and better than the German disc, certainly. But it's still not a great disc. This is not hyperbole. Chopping Mall looks way, way better than Class of 1999 does on blu-ray.

Quote:
Is the German release of Waxwork really "far" better? Even if it is, it's a one-in-a-million rarity. I have plenty of Blu-rays imported from Germany and the majority are nowhere near demo material, let me tell ya. As for the other labels you mentioned, each one one has it's own "code of conduct" so to speak. Arrow and Synapse go over their titles with a fine tooth comb before they release them, hence the constant delays and long gestation periods respectively. Code Red does good work but many of their titles are riddled with print damage. Scorpion are also good but they seem to sweep issues under the rug. They won't even acknowledge the audio echo issue on Humongous, for instance. I've always said indy labels generally release higher-quality titles than major studios and I still stand by that.
Caps-a-holic has screenshot comparison of Waxwork, and I own both discs. Yes, the German release is way better.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:15 AM   #100
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv Inc. View Post
The above are boutique labels who pride themselves in releasing top notch a/v for low budget and underground films.

Lionsgate is a film studio which owns a huge back catalogue of films it has a acquired over the years. They are not in the business of doing big restoration and clean ups of old films they happen to own but never poduced.
Lol, I realize that. That's my point. Small companies are putting out better releases than Lionsgate. Your comment does not excuse Lionsgate.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America