Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Nun (Blu-ray)
$22.99
11 hrs ago
The Equalizer 2 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
11 hrs ago
Freedom Fighters: The Ray (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Sicario: Day of the Soldado 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
7 hrs ago
The Equalizer 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 hr ago
Mamma Mia! (Blu-ray)
$6.99
21 hrs ago
First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.45
13 hrs ago
Constantine: City of Demons: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.99

A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #21
Banned

Apr 2012
Hawaii

We are now taking pre-orders for our upcoming release of the eccentric stranded-on-an-island 1988 thriller AMERICAN GOTHIC which makes its Blu-ray format debut! Release date is planned for December 19th.

When six young friends fly off on a weekend getaway and suddenly find themselves with engine trouble, they have no choice but to land on a remote Pacific island. Looking for shelter, they are grateful when they meet "Ma" and "Pa" and their children – an bizarre family still living in the backwoods as if it's still the 1920s. But what begins as simple old-school hospitality becomes a terrifying race for survival when one by one, the friends start disappearing and dying horrible deaths. Fleeing the outside world many years ago, the family has created an island domain, where all strangers are sinners – and the killing has never stopped.

Features an all-star cast including Rod Steiger (The Amityville Horror), Yvonne De Carlo (Silent Scream), Michael J. Pollard (Bonnie and Clyde) and William Hootkins (Raiders of the Lost Ark) and is from Director John Hough (The Legend of Hell House, The Watcher in the Woods and The Incubus).

Pre-order now directly through us @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/american-gothic… to have the item ship two weeks early!

Thanks given by:
Mb37985 (09-05-2017), t_rav (09-05-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 05:06 AM   #22

Mar 2016
TX

This was a movie I always passed up renting in the vhs days, might have to check it out now.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #23
Banned

Jun 2017

Wonder if this is a new scan or not? Info doesn't say, but at the very least they'd have to be using an HD master regardless of how old it could be, as I cannot see them just stretching the 4:3 DVD master to HD and saying "they'll at least be happy this is on BD, so lets ship this out ASAP!"
Old 09-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #24
Banned

Apr 2015

Damn, I thought this was about the series.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Probably among the more memorable vhs box covers of my childhood. The movie itself, not so much.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:38 PM   #26
Suspended

Dec 2014

I've been wanting a home video version of this film ever since I saw it years ago on Svengoolie...HELL YES!
Old 09-13-2017, 01:26 AM   #27
Expert Member

Sep 2015
USA

Used to rent this on VHS back in 1988. It's exactly what you should expect. Has atmosphere, goofy acting, some genuinely creepy moments, and it competently made for being essentially a direct to video movie. Shot on film obviously lol. I will definitely be picking this one up cuz it's been on my list for yeeeears....
Thanks given by:
1234567? (12-10-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #28

Oct 2017
California

Anyone know if it contains any special features?
Old 12-08-2017, 05:34 PM   #29
Special Member

Nov 2010
Missouri, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdsniper2 View Post
Anyone know if it contains any special features?
I should receive my copy from Shout tomorrow, so I can confirm any special features then.

Their website listing does list it including an Interview & Theatrical Trailer.
Thanks given by:
Werdsniper2 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #30
Power Member

Oct 2015
Maine

Yeah, so it has an interview with the composer and a trailer.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #31
Special Member

Nov 2010
Missouri, USA

I received the disc yesterday, and the interview (1080p) runs 15 minutes. The original trailer is also presented in 1080p.

No other bonus features are included, so the SF website listing was accurate as far as those go.

The transfer looks pretty good...though it has the look of perhaps being sourced from an older master. It's definitely far better than the old DVD though.
Thanks given by:
Goblins (12-10-2017), Werdsniper2 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 03:53 AM   #32
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2012
Georgia

This is one of my favorite blind buys of 2017. It's a blast!

A young woman who is still recovering from a personal tragedy goes along with her husband and four of their friends on a vacation trip. When their seaplane breaks down, they are forced to land by a remote wilderness island. They soon find an idyllic cottage that is inhabited by an elderly married couple, “Ma” and ”Pa“, who live an isolated existence away from electricity, phones, or any contact with the outside world. The travelers accept the warm hospitality of Ma and Pa, only to discover that the couple is still stuck in a rigidly religious vintage 1920s mentality, and that they do not take particularly kindly to modern-day sinners. The new arrivals are soon fighting for their lives against these old-fashioned island dwellers and their demented children.

The 1988 film, American Gothic, is my favorite horror discovery in recent memory, because of my affinity for scary tales involving people trapped on islands, and because of its dynamite casting. Just when I think that I've seen all of the great horror movies from the 1980s, I stumble across a new find that gets me one step closer to the “Clean Plate Club.”

The legendary Rod Steiger (In the Heat of the Night, On the Waterfront) stars as Pa, while Yvonne De Carlo, who was quite a beauty in classic films like Criss Cross, Brute Force, and The Ten Commandments, plays Ma. Michael J. Pollard (Bonnie and Clyde), Janet Wright (The Perfect Storm), and William Hootkins (“Porkins” from Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope) are the overgrown wisecracking children, and I hope that these actors were compensated extraordinarily well. Mark Lindsay Chapman (Titanic), Caroline Barclay (Species), and Sarah Torgov (Meatballs) star as some of the ill-fated friends, with their immoral newfangled ways of life that are unwelcome to the island family.

Early in the film, I was annoyed at the young friends, all of whom behave somewhat disrespectfully in the home of Ma and Pa by keeping their eyes open during the dinner blessing, smoking cigarettes inside, and using foul language. If a friend, or stranger, for that matter, is hospitable and takes you in, then you would be well-served by observing and respecting that person's manners and customs instead of being smugly dismissive. Also, for Heaven's sake, clean your plate! I'm not necessarily saying that these characters deserve what happens to them, but their attitudes do not particularly compel me to sympathize with them during their later plights.

This Scream Factory Blu-ray looks quite quite impressive to my eyes, although I have no previous familiarity with the source material. Everything looks nicely filmic, though.

The only supplementary feature is an interview with composer Alan Parker. Some early music, as the seaplane lifts off at the beginning of the movie, reminds me a lot of the beginning of the song, “Uniform of Youth”, by Mr. Mister.
Thanks given by:
captainron_howdy (12-28-2017), Davidian (12-13-2017), deltatauhobbit (12-15-2017), jmb1381 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 03:15 AM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Synecdoche, New York

I used to see this in the rental stores as a kid in the 90's. I never rented it. I'm ready to see it now.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014
Maine, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
This is one of my favorite blind buys of 2017. It's a blast!
Damn you! You always make films, that I have very little interest in picking up, sound interesting enough for me to change my mind. I'll wait for a good sale of course, but it's still more than I would have spent otherwise not getting it
Thanks given by:
balthazar_bee (12-15-2017), The Great Owl (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #35
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012
NJ (USA)

The Synopsis sounds a little like The Slayer and even Humongous: young people taking shelter on an island inhabited by, in this case, people with ulterior motives. I love both The Slayer and Humongous so I'm really looking forward to checking this out. This Blu-ray is being released at a time when there's a vacuum of good titles to pick up IMO so its an added bonus.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #36
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2014
Fresno, California, USA

Just watched this a few hours ago. Easily the quirkiest backwoods killer family film i've seen to date, with strong, eccentric performances from the entire cast, beautiful ocean/forest scenery, a pretty solid score from Alan Parker (no relation to the Pink Floyd: The Wall director), a pretty good, fairly quick pace and an overall really off-beat tone that makes it one of the better blind buys i've made in a while.

I'd definitely give this a recommendation. Just don't come looking for a blood bath, but rather incredibly strange people with a craving for murder.
Thanks given by:
nikon76 (03-09-2018), The Great Owl (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 03:39 AM   #37
Power Member

May 2010
-

Anyone looking to buy this - deepdiscount.com has it for $18.99, and they have a 15% discount code on top of it. Enter EGGNOG at checkout, and you can get it for $16.14.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #38
Expert Member

Aug 2015
Cincinnati, OH

I just watched this last night. I was expecting a by-the-numbers slasher movie, but I have to say it went off in a direction during the last 20 minutes that I did not expect. It was a little slow to get going, but it did win me over with the end part.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:36 PM   #39
Power Member

May 2010
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhound View Post
I just watched this last night. I was expecting a by-the-numbers slasher movie, but I have to say it went off in a direction during the last 20 minutes that I did not expect. It was a little slow to get going, but it did win me over with the end part.
I actually wasn't expecting much from it myself. But this film does have a lot going for it. You have several legendary actors like Rod Steiger, Yvonne De Carlo, and Michael J. Pollard. And Porkins, aka. William Hootkins, even makes an appearance as the overweight, pervert son. Overall, the film looks like a run of the mill slasher flick on the surface. But it really has a unique creepiness to it, and an ending that is totally unpredictable. As a horror film, all of the elements are there, and with that ending, it ranks rather high on my list.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:40 PM   #40

Nov 2017
Massachusetts

I have been waiting for this great slasher gem to get a High Definition release. Thanks again Scream Factory!!

The picture quality is the best I've seen for AMERICAN GOTHIC. It tends to be a tad grainy at times, but that's just the natural look of the film stock.

I've been fond of this movie since I was a kid and rented it at the video store for the first time. I love the atmosphere of the remote island and the old house built there. Then you've got your typical slasher movie victims, although these ones are a little bit older than we're used to. They seemed more 30-something than 20-something and that worked just fine here.

The family of slashers are really fun to watch with outstanding acting on all their behalves! Typical goofball Michael J. Pollard as Woody is both funny and fun to watch. His sister Fanny as a 12 year old trapped in a 50 year old body is the most empathetic yet creepiest at the same time and chunky brother Teddy is also a great sociopath. Then there's MA and PA played pitch perfect by Rod Steiger and Yvonne Decarlo.

I really enjoyed the inventive kills! "Rob wants to ride the swing" And there are some really good gore effects, especially towards the end. I loved the birthday surprise that awaited the girls in the basement.

There was only 1 Bonus Feature on the disc and that was an interview with the composer. While it was interesting and I'm glad it was on there, I really wish we could have heard from some of the actors in the movie and writer and director. I dont know if SCREAM tried locating any of them, but I wish they had made this more of a COLLECTORS EDITION with a "Making Of" featurette that featured many of the actors and creators. Perhaps this movie was a tad obscure but I remember it prominently sitting on the video store shelves when it came out in 1988 with it's great parody of the "American Gothic" painting for cover art.

Does anybody out there know what ever became of any of the actors (besides the ones that have since passed away of course)?
Thanks given by:
nikon76 (03-09-2018), The Great Owl (02-09-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America