Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Miller's Crossing (Blu-ray)
$5.99
9 hrs ago
A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$8.98

Doctor Who: The Complete Eleventh Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99
18 hrs ago
The Glenn Miller Story (Blu-ray)
$15.57
9 hrs ago
Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.34

No Game, No Life Zero (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Bohemian Rhapsody (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$13.96

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma: The Second Plate Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
12 hrs ago
Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Monster Musume Everyday Life With Monster Girls: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
8 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion

Old 02-01-2018, 09:48 PM   #1

Feb 2014
United Kingdom
Default OLED TVs

Do OLED TVs suffer from image retention? My view of them are that OLED is more suited to smart phones due to life span. I like the look of OLED but I don't think it's worth buying one for tv uses.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/perm...rn-in-lcd-oled
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (02-10-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #3

Feb 2014
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
Will take a look. Thank you. I am thinking of getting the LG B7 so this will be a good video to look at.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:45 PM   #4
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

It's one of the better video sites of the internet, unbiased team. @ the true service of the TV display community.
Thanks given by:
octagon (02-01-2018), Robert Zohn (02-10-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 10:52 PM   #5

Feb 2014
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
It's one of the better video sites of the internet, unbiased team. @ the true service of the TV display community.
Looking at this, sounds like going for qled Samsung or Sony 4K Led panel as oleds have issues. Think I will stay clear of the oleds now.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:48 PM   #6

Oct 2012

I've had my LG C7 since July of last year, I mostly game on it and I have yet to see any burn in.
Thanks given by:
Aidenag (02-10-2018), AlexIlDottore (02-10-2018), Robert Zohn (02-10-2018), supersix4 (02-15-2018), Wingman1977 (02-18-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedgie View Post
Looking at this, sounds like going for qled Samsung or Sony 4K Led panel as oleds have issues. Think I will stay clear of the oleds now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidenag View Post
It definitely is a tv you need to treat better than one would an lcd, but its not that bad. To your points

Yes, i wouldnt watch cnn nonstop with it or hardcore mountain dew fueled rage gaming. Its mostly geared toward movies, tv shows, and light gaming.

Its a bit of a myth on it not handling daylight viewing. My family room is 410 sq ft, has 2 decent sized windows, huge glass french doors, and a 2x8 skylight, and zero issue watching content on it on a cloudless sunny day. Would i use an oled for an outdoor patio tv in miami? No... but for 99.99% of tv locations, oled is just as good.

Burn in is pretty much non issue for 2017 models. I fell asleep one night with it on, and it spent a good 6 hours straight sitting on a tv show menu. Not even any image rentention, let alone burn in. That right there tells ya you REALLY gotta mess up to have it occur if a 6 hour static image didnt do a thing. Thst said, i freaked out, and ran 18% gray image tests that day, thought for sure id screwed myself. But again, nada.
Thanks given by:
Aidenag (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #8
Expert Member

Jan 2010
Seattle

I was ganna post my take here, but it seems i beat myself to the punch. My comment from another thread sums up my experience thus far. Have had my C7 since july 2nd, zero issues, and a whole lotta use. From my experience at least, the 2017 panels are not a problem. Again though, if your a hardcore gamer, or a cable news insomniac , maybe not best choice.

Last edited by Aidenag; 02-10-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (02-10-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 04:28 AM   #9
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Update: New test started two weeks ago
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real...d-burn-in-test
Old 02-11-2018, 05:38 AM   #10

Dec 2011

The answer would be NO, I Have a LG 65B6 with over 700 plus hours and no retention or burn in issues. A lot of video games with Xbox One and Oppo 4K player.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:09 PM   #11
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pacalypsenow View Post
I've had my LG C7 since July of last year, I mostly game on it and I have yet to see any burn in.
Same nothing here on mine, and I leave it on static images constantly
Old 02-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #12

Jan 2011
Upstate New York

So, how many threads do you plan to start asking the same basic questions? Thought you already decided on the Oled.....
Old 02-18-2018, 02:52 AM   #13
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

Here ya go: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...ad-photos.html
Old 03-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN

The subject of buying an OLED has come up again with burn in being the top concern.

I have a tendency to watch a lot of news from time to time. I read that zooming the image to block out the static portions can mitigate the possibility of burn in or image retention.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Toronto

Prior to 2017, the OLED's had issues with image retention and/or burn-in. The 2017's that LG manufactured and then flowed to both Sony and Panasonic have an internal 'wipe' and after so many hours, they go into a secondary stand-by and wipe themselves clean. The Pana; is the king. It is a pro' panel used in editing suites and had the processor co-developed with Deluxe color labs out of California. Problem is, the pna's are not sold in the U.S., only Europe, Asia, the U.K. and Canada but they are the best of the bunch. The best of the LED's in my opinion, is the Samsung Q9.

I'm using the Q9 with the PS4-Pro, XBox One, PS3, 360 Elite, PC, 4K BD player. The Pana OLED is like a Porsche whereas the Q9 is like a Lambo'... you can push the parameters, you can take it beyond the borders and tweak it moreso than the Pana which is what I like to do. My buddy, who wants it for cable and Netflix... wants to just pull it out from the box, turn it on and have it look great - the Pana is best.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #16
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePS3 View Post
Prior to 2017, the OLED's had issues with image retention and/or burn-in. The 2017's that LG manufactured and then flowed to both Sony and Panasonic have an internal 'wipe' and after so many hours, they go into a secondary stand-by and wipe themselves clean. The Pana; is the king. It is a pro' panel used in editing suites and had the processor co-developed with Deluxe color labs out of California. Problem is, the pna's are not sold in the U.S., only Europe, Asia, the U.K. and Canada but they are the best of the bunch. The best of the LED's in my opinion, is the Samsung Q9.

I'm using the Q9 with the PS4-Pro, XBox One, PS3, 360 Elite, PC, 4K BD player. The Pana OLED is like a Porsche whereas the Q9 is like a Lambo'... you can push the parameters, you can take it beyond the borders and tweak it moreso than the Pana which is what I like to do. My buddy, who wants it for cable and Netflix... wants to just pull it out from the box, turn it on and have it look great - the Pana is best.

Having the Huracan/LP Gallardo 5.2L (and lambo stamp on my R8 transmission) I'd disagree with the analogy, and found the OLED superior to any current LED offering, and I have only bought samsung tvs dating back to 2010.

If anything I think the QLED is better out of the box where my LG OLED does require much more tweaking to really get its full benefit and superiority. I'd say for the avg. netflixer not noticing how much better blacks are, the Q9 is a better buy.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:06 PM   #17

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-

The OLED's generally get a bad rap, and I think that's both unfortunate, and unnecessary!

EVERY TV, if the settings are set to the extreme, will suffer over time screen burn-in and image retention. The best, only advice I can truly give is have your set professionally calibrated...even within identical models, I've found settings vary set-to-set.

If pro-cal is out of the question (what's $100 on a $1500+ TV?) then at the very least, google like-models and copy calibration settings from THOSE sources, and adjust to taste....keeping in mind again, to not set values at extreme levels.

The BIGGEST mistake made, is a customer trying to replicate what he saw in a showroom...well these retail outlets have special RETAIL settings, to sell sets!
If one goes bad in the showroom, they replace, send the orig back where it gets refurb and resold. Also these outlets install new models EVERY year....sometimes more often. Those retail settings are designed to show a decent picture in a well-lighted area....and if used in a home environment would kill a TV in a very short time.

When calibrating your TV set, you want to replicate as much as possible the environment in a theater, little to no additional light. Another thing that most people don't understand is a correctly calibrated TV, in a well-lit living room, is going to appear darker than normal...over time you will get used to it...and that TV will give you several years of quality viewing.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #18
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjritter79 View Post
The OLED's generally get a bad rap, and I think that's both unfortunate, and unnecessary!

EVERY TV, if the settings are set to the extreme, will suffer over time screen burn-in and image retention. The best, only advice I can truly give is have your set professionally calibrated...even within identical models, I've found settings vary set-to-set.
I can definitely tell my gaming how the insane black levels affect dark rooms and seeing in. I have to almost always crank up the brightness gaming because the lighting effect vs. LCD is so low lol...

But movies are amazing the dark scenes I cant remember being that impressed since our Elite Kuro back in the day and I've had some lauded/top tier LCDs/Plasmas over the years.

So OLED was the right choice it just to me is kinda like LCD back in the day requires some calibration vs. out of the box near ready to rip.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:22 AM   #19
Special Member

Aug 2007
New York, NY, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
So OLED was the right choice it just to me is kinda like LCD back in the day requires some calibration vs. out of the box near ready to rip.
*All* display technologies need calibration to produce an accurate image - it doesn't matter if they're based on OLED or LCD.

In fact, because current OLEDs are still mostly high end displays, in their more sane out of the box modes, they'll need *less* calibration than many LCDs, which are often lower-cost TVs that don't get as much TLC on the assembly line.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
France

I was looking into the Panasonic Oled's as they're cheaper than the Sony's, but what gives with the lack of Dolby Vision?

The Panasonic TX-65EZ950E is 3000 euros at the moment, whilst the
Sony KD55A1 is the same price, Sony KD65A1 is 4000 euros.

I was going to go for LG, but I can't really resist Sony as I've used their products for years. My budget is 3000 euros. It will go up a little, as prices go down before the World Cup. For the moment, not knowing by how much prices will drop, I think I'll have to go for the Sony KD55A1. Maybe I'll find a really good deal from a reputable seller for the 65...

Still the Panasonic 65 inch was very tempting, until I saw that it doesn't offer DV.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion