Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
8 hrs ago
Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$15.50
10 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

Oculus (Blu-ray)
$6.99
2 hrs ago
Some Like It Hot (Blu-ray)
$19.59

Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$15.99

A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.59

Alpha (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Strangers: Prey at Night (Blu-ray)
$12.99
22 hrs ago
Waterworld (Blu-ray)
$36.68

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #1021
Special Member

Sep 2014

I'm still waiting for Young & Innocent. Not a great film, but the only copy I've seen was very poor quality, and with terrible audio, and I'd like to give it another chance with a better transfer. I know there's a Region B edition, but this film just isn't worth the trouble to go region-free.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #1022
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
I'm still waiting for Young & Innocent. Not a great film, but the only copy I've seen was very poor quality, and with terrible audio, and I'd like to give it another chance with a better transfer. I know there's a Region B edition, but this film just isn't worth the trouble to go region-free.
No one film is worth the trouble, true, but once you do get a region-free player, you'll be amazed by how many other great titles you can pick up.
Thanks given by:
Jexes23 (02-08-2018), WaverBoy (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #1023

Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
Kino just announced Under Capricorn.
Oh yeah! One of only 2 or 3 Hitch films I have yet to see.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #1024
Expert Member

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
Kino just announced Under Capricorn.
Fantastic news. And no doubt prompted by my recent purchase of the French DVD release.
Thanks given by:
buck135 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #1025
Expert Member

May 2015

Quote:
If you go region-free, you'll also be able to pick up Sabotage. One of my best Hitchcock blind-buys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
No one film is worth the trouble, true, but once you do get a region-free player, you'll be amazed by how many other great titles you can pick up.
Wholeheartedly agree. The only downside to going region-free is that there are so many great titles out there.
Thanks given by:
Jexes23 (02-09-2018), WaverBoy (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 10:21 PM   #1026
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
Wholeheartedly agree. The only downside to going region-free is that there are so many great titles out there.
It's amazing how many classic American films from the 50s and 60s are only available in France and Germany, for example.
Thanks given by:
Jexes23 (02-09-2018), Reddington (02-08-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 05:12 AM   #1027
Special Member

Jun 2014
City of Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
If you go region-free, you'll also be able to pick up Sabotage. One of my best Hitchcock blind-buys.

Does one of those (Y&I or Sabotage) have sync issues? I saw one of the discs and it was off on the system at my local region free shop.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #1028
Contributor

Oct 2010
In a Galaxy far far away

If only WB could get those 2 titles released
Old 02-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #1029
Expert Member

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyF View Post
Does one of those (Y&I or Sabotage) have sync issues? I saw one of the discs and it was off on the system at my local region free shop.
I watched both in January and there were no sync issues that I recall. And I normally notice stuff like that quite quickly.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #1030
Power Member

May 2016
Australia

Sabotage is fine, I watched that the other day. Young and Innocent is sitting just below Jamaica Inn in my 'to watch' pile now that I've completed the Early Hitchcock DVD set.

Strangely, if my database info is accurate, Murder! is six minutes longer in that set than in the public-domain set I have, and Number Seventeen is four minutes shorter.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #1031
Special Member

May 2013

Quote:
If you can't find more than one import-only title you want, you ain't lookin' hard enough. And since you can get a region-free player for the cost of a couple of Blu-rays, there really is zero excuse to be region-locked.
Thanks given by:
Jexes23 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #1032
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyF View Post
I own both and I'm highly sensitive to that kind of thing, and noticed nothing like that.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #1033
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Southern California, USA

Awesome that we finally get to see Under Capricorn restored and in HD!

Master list on page 1 updated!
Old 02-09-2018, 10:29 PM   #1034
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyHitchFan View Post
Awesome that we finally get to see Under Capricorn restored and in HD!

Master list on page 1 updated!
I certainly don't want to look this gift horse in the mouth too much, and I'm grateful we're getting this.

It's just a shame that two of his weakest and most forgettable films - Jamaica Inn and Under Capricorn - have had new 4K scans, when some of his more celebrated classics like The Man Who Knew Too Much 1956 look so dire on BD.
Thanks given by:
Jexes23 (02-09-2018), sonicyogurt (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #1035

Jan 2013
Texas

Quote:
I certainly don't want to look this gift horse in the mouth too much, and I'm grateful we're getting this.

It's just a shame that two of his weakest and most forgettable films - Jamaica Inn and Under Capricorn - have had new 4K scans, when some of his more celebrated classics like The Man Who Knew Too Much 1956 look so dire on BD.
Yeah Jamaica Inn wasn't great film wise. Probably the worst of all the Hitchcock films I've seen. But the transfer was nice. I broke down and got Rope & the 1956 The Man Who Knew Too Much last week. And Rope looked pretty bad and it scored higher than TMWKTM so I'm dreading what that will look like.

I will say however that as much as I love Jimmy Stewart, the kid and Doris Day mildly annoyed me in the remake. I actually think I prefer the original British version Criterion restored. Peter Lorre did a good job as the villain.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (06-16-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:59 PM   #1036
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexes23 View Post
Yeah Jamaica Inn wasn't great film wise. Probably the worst of all the Hitchcock films I've seen. But the transfer was nice. I broke down and got Rope & the 1956 The Man Who Knew Too Much last week. And Rope looked pretty bad and it scored higher than TMWKTM so I'm dreading what that will look like.

I will say however that as much as I love Jimmy Stewart, the kid and Doris Day mildly annoyed me in the remake. I actually think I prefer the original British version Criterion restored. Peter Lorre did a good job as the villain.
A bunch of the Universal Hitchcocks look like garbage, though some look pristine, there's no logic. The Man Who Knew Too Much 1956 is my favorite Hitchcock by far. I know it's not a universally shared opinion, but I adore it.

When they gave Hitchcock the AFI Lifetime Achievement Award, just before he died, I've read that instead of the standard clip-fest montage, they simply showed the Albert Hall sequence from the film, from beginning to end

Jamaica Inn is a great idea, but a dreadful film. I'm amazed nobody has remade it, the core story is fantastic, it just has an appalling script and Hitchcock's direction is obviously bored, without any sense of even what genre it is. It's heartbreaking to see the eye-popping restoration it got when so many of his other better films look like a truck ran over the print that was used.

Last edited by James Luckard; 02-10-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:24 AM   #1037

Jan 2011

If anyone isn't planning on using their digital copies and would consider selling for a few bucks, please send me a PM. I just finally saw Psycho for the first time (yeah, I know...) and obviously thought it was amazing. I already picked up Vertigo, but if anyone has any of the other Hitchcock digital copies they are willing to part with, please send me a PM. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2018, 02:24 AM   #1038
Special Member

Jul 2009

Just leaves two U.S. features. I have all of the ones released so far. Started collecting his early films too. I met Tippi Hedren and she told me that the best advice she could give an aspiring filmmaker is to study every frame of "Hitch."

Last edited by moviebuff75; 02-10-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #1039
Expert Member

May 2015

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexes23 View Post

Quote:
A bunch of the Universal Hitchcocks look like garbage, though some look pristine, there's no logic. The Man Who Knew Too Much 1956 is my favorite Hitchcock by far. I know it's not a universally shared opinion, but I adore it.

When they gave Hitchcock the AFI Lifetime Achievement Award, just before he died, I've read that instead of the standard clip-fest montage, they simply showed the Albert Hall sequence from the film, from beginning to end

Jamaica Inn is a great idea, but a dreadful film. I'm amazed nobody has remade it, the core story is fantastic, it just has an appalling script and Hitchcock's direction is obviously bored, without any sense of even what genre it is. It's heartbreaking to see the eye-popping restoration it got when so many of his other better films look like a truck ran over the print that was used.
I clearly like Jamaica Inn more than most.

The BD of the 1956 version of The Man Who Knew Too Much is hardly a demo disc, but it is serviceable. And beside, I enjoy the film very much and can look past the deficiencies. However, given that it was shot in VistaVision, it really should look better, even without major restoration - which makes me wonder if there is a lack of suitable source material for a better scan. But I think the biggest problem is that there are so many process shots, which naturally look softer. Hitch was still using them a decade later in Topaz (which is a good BD transfer), and they look so incongruous.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #1040
Power Member

May 2016
Australia

I just watched Jamaica Inn today, having just bought the Arrow release. Had previously seen it only via a public-domain copy that was missing about ten minutes of footage (and years ago at that). I enjoyed it, but it's pretty clearly not a 'Hitchcock' film.
Thanks given by:
Jexes23 (02-10-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America