Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$5.00
6 hrs ago
Midnight Cowboy (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Crimson Peak (Blu-ray)
$36.68
6 hrs ago
Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Bull Durham (Blu-ray)
$18.96
18 hrs ago
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$12.74

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Django + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$36.68
6 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 03-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #101
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUCanadian View Post
Hey there! Im thinking about making a trip out to AV Science one of these days... its only a 2.5 hr drive for me and I would be interested in picking up a JVC projector from them. I have my eye on the RS540 (X790). How do you know their current pricing? I suppose I could just give them a call, but if you have some info on their current price of the RS540, that would be helpful for me with the budgeting of my first dedicated home theater. It would be helpful to know also when they start slashing prices when newer models get announced. Any info is appreciated!
Thanks
Check local pricing and warranty eligibility... often units bought in the US need to be serviced in the US, that was the case with my Integra processor. Any savings are quickly chewed up when having to return to the states to drop it off for service and return later to pick it up. I saved $1K+ on my processor so i was still ahead from a pure dollars and cents perspective but if my time was worth anything I'd be in the hole.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #102
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

So now that I have the projector picked out (Sony 45ES), I am now trying to decide on the screen. I have narrowed it down to the following:

1) Elite Screens Aeon Series, 135-Inch Diag. 16:9, 4K Home Theater Ambient Light Rejecting EDGE FREE Projection Projector Screen (CineGrey 3D) ($800 CAD)

2) Elite Screens Aeon, 135-inch 16:9, 4K Home Theater Fixed Frame EDGE FREE Borderless Projection Projector Screen (CineWhite) ($725 CAD)

3) Elite Screens Aeon, 135-inch 16:9, 4K Home Theater Fixed Frame EDGE FREE Borderless Projection Projector Screen (CineGrey) ($580 CAD)

4) Elunevision Reference Studio 4K Slim 135" (1.0 White) ($1400-1600 if bundled with projector)

I know that the Elunevision is much more expensive, however the price will come down a few hundred if I bundle it with the projector. I just do not know whether or not the Elunevision is worth the extra cost (approximately $600-800) versus the Elite. And in terms of the options from Elite, I do not know whether or not an ALR screen is best suited for my application or their standard CineWhite. Or even CineGrey. Any suggestions?

By the way, I have ordered the three samples from Elite and they should be arriving soon. Unfortunately Elunevision does not sell samples of their screens...
135" Elite Screens AEON EDGE FREE CineWhite 1.1
Sony 45ES Projector
Pioneer VSX-1018 AH-K Receiver
Outlaw Audio 7125 Amplifier
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
Polk Audio FXiA4 Surrounds (x4)
eD A2-300 Subwoofer

Last edited by Erman_94; 03-07-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:24 AM   #103
Power Member

Oct 2008
Washington D.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erman_94 View Post
So now that I have the projector picked out (Sony 45ES), I am now trying to decide on the screen. I have narrowed it down to the following:

1) Elite Screens Aeon Series, 135-Inch Diag. 16:9, 4K Home Theater Ambient Light Rejecting EDGE FREE Projection Projector Screen (CineGrey 3D) ($800 CAD)

2) Elite Screens Aeon, 135-inch 16:9, 4K Home Theater Fixed Frame EDGE FREE Borderless Projection Projector Screen (CineWhite) ($725 CAD)

3) Elite Screens Aeon, 135-inch 16:9, 4K Home Theater Fixed Frame EDGE FREE Borderless Projection Projector Screen (CineGrey) ($580 CAD)

4) Elunevision Reference Studio 4K Slim 135" (1.0 White) ($1400-1600 if bundled with projector)

I know that the Elunevision is much more expensive, however the price will come down a few hundred if I bundle it with the projector. I just do not know whether or not the Elunevision is worth the extra cost (approximately $600-800) versus the Elite. And in terms of the options from Elite, I do not know whether or not an ALR screen is best suited for my application or their standard CineWhite. Or even CineGrey. Any suggestions?

By the way, I have ordered the three samples from Elite and they should be arriving soon. Unfortunately Elunevision does not sell samples of their screens...
Based on the fact that you are going with the Sony, get either of the white screens. You don’t need a grey screen with the projector contrast that it offers. You won’t regret it. I have had 2 Elite screens both have been totally worth it and the cost is affordable. Just my 2 cents
BenQ HT2050 3D (*NEW* Theater room)
Elite 150" fixed framed screen
Sony BDP-S6700 3D
Pioneer VSX 523 receiver; Boston Acoustic HPS 10HO
ELAC B6 R+L front speakers, Polk TSx 150c center
Panasonic PDP TC-P60ST60 3D (living room)
Sony BDP-S590 3D
Vuzio 4K LCD D50u-D1 (bedroom)
Old 03-07-2018, 01:37 AM   #104
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRoo98 View Post
Based on the fact that you are going with the Sony, get either of the white screens. You don’t need a grey screen with the projector contrast that it offers. You won’t regret it. I have had 2 Elite screens both have been totally worth it and the cost is affordable. Just my 2 cents
Thanks for the input, BluRoo98! Would that still be your recommendation even with mild ambient light? I plan to watch my movies in complete dark but to watch sports (mainly hockey and basketball) and play games with mild ambient light.

Thanks!

EDIT: also, how did you like the Cinegrey 5D? Any hot spotting or performance drop offs? The EDGE FREE technology does not come in the 5D unfortunately, but I would assume the Cinegrey 3D is comparable
Sony 45ES Projector
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer

Last edited by Erman_94; 03-07-2018 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:04 AM   #105
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:

I’ve got Elunevision material that was damaged during a renovation (the damage portion is relegated to a very small portion of the screen. Lots of usable material still there) that could give you an idea what it looks like. It is their Reference PureBright 2.4 gain material, not sure if that is the same as on the screen you’re looking at. You’re welcome to it.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #106
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
I’ve got Elunevision material that was damaged during a renovation (the damage portion is relegated to a very small portion of the screen. Lots of usable material still there) that could give you an idea what it looks like. It is their Reference PureBright 2.4 gain material, not sure if that is the same as on the screen you’re looking at. You’re welcome to it.
Wow thanks, roar! I am hoping to visit eastporters sometime time this week so I will shoot you a PM if I do and see if we can arrange that.

I was looking more at their 1.0 gain material but I clearly do not know what I am doing just yet with screens. What is the main difference between a 1.0 and 2.4 gain screen? And why is one considered better for one application than another?
Sony 45ES Projector
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 03-08-2018, 12:42 AM   #107
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Wow thanks, roar! I am hoping to visit eastporters sometime time this week so I will shoot you a PM if I do and see if we can arrange that.

I was looking more at their 1.0 gain material but I clearly do not know what I am doing just yet with screens. What is the main difference between a 1.0 and 2.4 gain screen? And why is one considered better for one application than another?
Screen gain indicates how much light is reflected back to the viewer. If hotspoting isn’t an issue higher can be good for situations where you’ve got more ambient light. Too much gain can be a bad thing though as it does reduce the viewing angle. Not sure if mine is a ‘true’ 2.4 gain screen or not or if that is just marketing speak... I haven’t read an independtly measured review of it... but when Dave @ eastporters showed it to me next to their 1.0 screen I liked the look of it. My JVC isn’t exactly a light canon so extra brightness works for me. I find the picture brightness in my application to be uniform and I’m happy.

Read more about gain here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...reens_gain.htm
Old 03-08-2018, 12:58 AM   #108
Power Member

Oct 2008
Washington D.C.

Quote:
Thanks for the input, BluRoo98! Would that still be your recommendation even with mild ambient light? I plan to watch my movies in complete dark but to watch sports (mainly hockey and basketball) and play games with mild ambient light.

Thanks!

EDIT: also, how did you like the Cinegrey 5D? Any hot spotting or performance drop offs? The EDGE FREE technology does not come in the 5D unfortunately, but I would assume the Cinegrey 3D is comparable
It depends on what kind of ambient light and the source. If it is dim rope lights above a vaulted ceiling then white shouldn’t be much of an issue. If it is a lamp nearby then you will likely end up turning he lamp off with either screen. You will notice it washes out the picture.

In response to your question about the CineGrey. I thought it was great at first (because I went with that technology before seeing a white screen) I got “hotspotting” but wasn’t sure what it was at first. Then when I switched to white, I had a true comparison to what it “should” look like. I will never go back. Projectors are created to be shown on white, so all colors and contrast are created to be displayed on white. I agree with the above poster. If you want to offset some ambient lighting, go higher gain instead of cinegrey. If you go too high on the gain, you will however also see hotspotting. Your best bet is to get samples or someone who will lend you theirs (as offered above) and truly compare in the setting/environment you expect to watch in. If I had a crystal ball, you will likely change a few times before you find your individual preference.
BenQ HT2050 3D (*NEW* Theater room)
Elite 150" fixed framed screen
Sony BDP-S6700 3D
Pioneer VSX 523 receiver; Boston Acoustic HPS 10HO
ELAC B6 R+L front speakers, Polk TSx 150c center
Panasonic PDP TC-P60ST60 3D (living room)
Sony BDP-S590 3D
Vuzio 4K LCD D50u-D1 (bedroom)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #109
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

Thanks again for all of the help everyone! With the kind help of roar, I will be demoing the 2.4 screen gain material from Elunevision. I will also be comparing it to some Elite screen samples I have ordered, specifically the CineWhite and Cinegrey 3D ALR screen.

I will therefore have a comparison of 1.1 (CineWhite), 1.2 ALR (Cinegrey 3D) and 2.4 (Elunevision PureBright).

Hopefully this will help decide and I can have this project up and running.
Sony 45ES Projector
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 03-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #110
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Thanks again for all of the help everyone! With the kind help of roar, I will be demoing the 2.4 screen gain material from Elunevision. I will also be comparing it to some Elite screen samples I have ordered, specifically the CineWhite and Cinegrey 3D ALR screen.

I will therefore have a comparison of 1.1 (CineWhite), 1.2 ALR (Cinegrey 3D) and 2.4 (Elunevision PureBright).

Hopefully this will help decide and I can have this project up and running.
What will be critical with the 2.4 material is your placement of both the screen but your seating and projector as well... take a read of this post over at avs by Dave @ Eastporters explaining this: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-scr...l#post24661328
Old 03-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #111
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

As I am gearing up to have the projector set up, I have a few questions I was hoping could be answered.

I have been using the projector calculator from Projector Central for the 45es to calculate throw distance. It gives me a throw range of 13 feet to 21 feet. My question is, is there anything to be gained or lost by going to either end of the extreme or to the middle of that range? I understand that some zoom would have to be used in the extreme cases, but would that degrade the image quality in any way? Also, would the brightness be lower if the projector is further away and brighter if closer? Or is that just theoretical?

The only thing I know for sure is that keystone correction is greatly frowned upon for image quality (even though the 45ES does not have one anyway)

Ideally, I would like to have the projector shelf-mounted at the back of the theatre (approximately 19 feet) which is well within the recommended range...

Any help is appreciated!
Sony 45ES Projector
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer

Last edited by Erman_94; 03-09-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #112
Expert Member

Jan 2008
Cincinnati Ohio

Quote:
As I am gearing up to have the projector set up, I have a few questions I was hoping could be answered.

I have been using the projector calculator from Projector Central for the 45es to calculate throw distance. It gives me a throw range of 13 feet to 21 feet. My question is, is there anything to be gained or lost by going to either end of the extreme or to the middle of that range? I understand that some zoom would have to be used in the extreme cases, but would that degrade the image quality in any way? Also, would the brightness be lower if the projector is further away and brighter if closer? Or is that just theoretical?

The only thing I know for sure is that keystone correction is greatly frowned upon for image quality (even though the 45ES does not have one anyway)

Ideally, I would like to have the projector shelf-mounted at the back of the theatre (approximately 19 feet) which is well within the recommended range...

Any help is appreciated!
Essentially the farther away you have the projector from the screen the more brightness you'll need to hit reference levels. Being in the middle of the that range would be fine but I would stay away from the farther range if possible to give you more room for fine tuning during calibration. I have a Sony 55ES and I have mine mounted about 14'-15' from my 120" screen. I have a ton of brightness to use so even as the bulb starts to dim down I still have "room" to adjust it in as it wears down.

Theater Room
Sony HW55ES 3D projector w 120" Monoprice masking screen, Panasonic BDT460, PS4, Amazon 4K Fire TV, APC H10,
Pioneer Elite SC-81 w/ Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 60's, Polk FXI3's, PA-120 Sub & Acoustic Audio 12" HD SUB, Harmony One

PSN: jruc03
Old 03-09-2018, 11:37 PM   #113
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

I am pretty flexible in terms of my setup. The only reason I ask is because shelf mounted at the back is easiest for me setup wise. If I ceiling mount closer I'll have to plug the projector into an extension cord and then have a raceway along the ceiling towards the back to connect to my AV equipment.

Unless of course I'm missing something with how to set this up. I really don't want to add an outlet to the ceiling, so knowing that, is this my only option?
Sony 45ES Projector
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 03-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #114
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

Are there any setup guides I can read with regards to projector setups? I understand that some plug the projector into an outlet they add to the ceiling to limit to wires and some use a raceway to lead it to the AV equipment. Is there a difference between the two other than aesthetics? Also, shouldn't the projector be plugged into a sine wave battery backup? How can one do this if connecting it to a ceiling outlet?

Trying to figure out the setup now so that when I have the projector in my possession it will be easier and quicker to install

Thanks!
Sony 45ES Projector
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 03-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #115
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

Anybody? I will have the projector in my possession this week
Sony 45ES Projector
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 03-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #116
Special Member

Feb 2008
Southern NJ

My outlet is in the ceiling next to my projector. I plugged in a "surge protector" into the outlet...and then my projector into that.
My Gear:
Sony VPL-VW385es 4K projector
Elite Lunette 115" 2.35.1 Curved screen
Denon S930H Dolby Atmos/Vision Receiver
Klipsch RB-61 II Home Theater 7.1 System
Sony Ultra HD X700 Blu-ray player
Sony PS4 Pro 4K
Harmony 1000 Touch Screen Remote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #117
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Are there any setup guides I can read with regards to projector setups? I understand that some plug the projector into an outlet they add to the ceiling to limit to wires and some use a raceway to lead it to the AV equipment. Is there a difference between the two other than aesthetics? Also, shouldn't the projector be plugged into a sine wave battery backup? How can one do this if connecting it to a ceiling outlet?

Trying to figure out the setup now so that when I have the projector in my possession it will be easier and quicker to install

Thanks!
Difference really is aesthetics... ideally there would be an outlet right next to your projector, do you have a drop ceiling in that area? That might simplify things. if you want to add a surge protector/UPS to the mix it can only help. I've owned a projector for a while now and never had it plugged into one. That is in the 'nice to have' category for sure along with power conditioners in my book. Tougher to accomplish with the ceiling setup too if that outlet is going directly to a breaker.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #118
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis21 View Post
My outlet is in the ceiling next to my projector. I plugged in a "surge protector" into the outlet...and then my projector into that.
Thanks for the reply. And is the surge protector also mounted to the ceiling with the projector?
Sony 45ES Projector
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 03-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #119
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
Difference really is aesthetics... ideally there would be an outlet right next to your projector, do you have a drop ceiling in that area? That might simplify things. if you want to add a surge protector/UPS to the mix it can only help. I've owned a projector for a while now and never had it plugged into one. That is in the 'nice to have' category for sure along with power conditioners in my book. Tougher to accomplish with the ceiling setup too if that outlet is going directly to a breaker.
Thanks for the reply! Would connecting the projector power cord into an extension cord and then into an outlet/surge protector diminish the quality at all? Not sure if adding that extra connection would make a difference but I may have to run the wires through the ceiling. Its a basement HT if that helps at all.
Sony 45ES Projector
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 03-13-2018, 07:07 PM   #120
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Would connecting the projector power cord into an extension cord and then into an outlet/surge protector diminish the quality at all? Not sure if adding that extra connection would make a difference but I may have to run the wires through the ceiling. Its a basement HT if that helps at all.
I've run a temporary setup with an extension cord in the mix before without any discernible difference on the picture. Though I don't think the practice of running a projector through an extension cord is generally recommended I am hard pressed to think of a practical draw back, I think most drawbacks are perceived or hypothetical. I do know when I did a ceiling mount in one of the theatres I setup where the power was running through a drop ceiling I did go to the trouble of tracking down an 20ft power cable so I didn't have to use an extension cord but if I recall I did that out of my desire to not have any power connections exposed in the drop down ceiling more so than the desire to not use an extension cord. You could look into that option. Check out your local Sayal or online for something like this: https://www.primecables.ca/session/c...-style-pc-25pi

Edit: If this cable is going to be in the ceiling don't mess around, make sure you are working to code. Get cables that are in-ceiling/wall rated, you don't want your insurance voided in the case of fire because you didn't run the right cables. I'd consult with an electrician if this is the case.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors