Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
8 hrs ago
Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Predator: 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.96

The Big Lebowski 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$64.99

The Planet Earth Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$52.59

BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Justice League 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.96
18 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 03-09-2018, 12:55 AM   #4681
Banned

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
Three days ago, without much fanfare, Saving Private Ryan was announced that it'll sport both HDR and Dolby Vision for its upcoming 4K UHD Blu-ray. I didn't consider it being big news because it's not coming up in 3D.

http://www.thehdroom.com/bluray/savi...ounced-112212/

* I must have a dozen video copies of this flick; with DD, dts, all the various formats and packages, but none in 3D. I got the metal can too, with bullet holes.

HDR "could" be interesting, and Dolby Vision when finalized and working properly with all televisions. Of course Dolby Atmos will add to the incentive of buying again. And hopefully they don't stick with their sickness by making it exclusive to 4K.

That coud become my 13th copy of this flick, just what my doctor prescribed me recently to get rid of my addiction.
You can't put HDR or 12 bit DV on regular Blu-ray. You can only add Atmos. So... If you want all three and 4k detail, then you must get the UHD discs of Saving Private Ryan and Braveheart.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:57 AM   #4682
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

From Oslo by Alister, a Sony ICE (Independent Certified Expert)
High Dynamic Range, and what it means to you….

P.S.
About 8 min. into the presentation after the HDR primer introduction, for those unfamiliar with Shogun products, of which Stacey Spears and I both are fans - https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...n#post12578204
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973
Old 03-09-2018, 01:05 AM   #4683
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
You can't put HDR or 12 bit DV on regular Blu-ray. You can only add Atmos. So... If you want all three and 4k detail, then you must get the UHD discs of Saving Private Ryan and Braveheart.
That was exactly what I meant but couldn't express clearly with words.
~ Bob
You may not: Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Web Sites (AVS)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #4684
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

I'm glad most studios rely heavily on HDR10 for their 4K UHD releases

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
"What is seen cannot be unseen. What is known cannot be unknown. Once the grey black bars are seen they cannot be unseen! "
Old 03-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #4685
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
I'm glad most studios rely heavily on HDR10 for their 4K UHD releases
I think the ideal circumstance would be DV encoding on as many discs as possible and a DV defeat function (forced HDR-10) available on all players.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #4686
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
I think the ideal circumstance would be DV encoding on as many discs as possible and a DV defeat function (forced HDR-10) available on all players.
Once I heard that even the new Dolby firmware did not eliminate the issue with black on LG Oled TVs I lost all hopes. I now use my LG UP870 (HDR10 only) for all my UHD viewing, and a Roku Uktra (HDR10 only, again) for all my 4K UHD streaming.
I will keep my LG UP970 connected for standard blurays for now, until Dolby steps up to the plate (highly unlikely at this point).
Glad to join the HDR10 club again
"What is seen cannot be unseen. What is known cannot be unknown. Once the grey black bars are seen they cannot be unseen! "
Old 03-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #4687
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Once I heard that even the new Dolby firmware did not eliminate the issue with black on LG Oled TVs I lost all hopes.
One issue with one small subset of TVs that they've already demonstrated an effort to try to correct... and you've "lost all hopes"?

Buck up, my man. "It gets better".
Old 03-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #4688
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
One issue with one small subset of TVs that they've already demonstrated an effort to try to correct... and you've "lost all hopes"?

Buck up, my man. "It gets better".
Easy for you to say, you don't own a LG Oled 2016. I am not selling my LG UP970, so obviously deep inside there is still a glance of hope in me. But in the meantime, HDR10 it is!
Old 03-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #4689
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Easy for you to say, you don't own a LG Oled 2016.
I feel your pain, but the real reason it's easy for me to say is that I've been a consumer in this market for 30 years and I've seen this kind of glitch in a new format play itself out a dozen times. Dolby Vision will work through it and be an enriching format. I'm sorry it's not working on your TV right now, but it's pretty awesome on the TVs it does work with and there's no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #4690
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
I feel your pain, but the real reason it's easy for me to say is that I've been a consumer in this market for 30 years and I've seen this kind of glitch in a new format play itself out a dozen times. Dolby Vision will work through it and be an enriching format. I'm sorry it's not working on your TV right now, but it's pretty awesome on the TVs it does work with and there's no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
True dat. I still feel that it is fair to give people a choice still. With LG UP970 for example, once you install the DV firmware, you are stuck with DV. Not all of us want to spend $600+ on Oppo but it's nice to have the option, even for comparison sake, between the two formats.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #4691
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
I still feel that it is fair to give people a choice still.
I agree. I think we should be able to force HDR-10 on all players. Anyone preferring HDR-10 would be able to just ignore the DV data. Then, if/when an update corrects DV playback on your TV, you'll still have the DV content available and can switch it back on if you like.
Thanks given by:
RockyIII (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #4692

Mar 2011

Which TV's are doing DV correctly at this point? Really surprised a title like Star Wars is coming out in DV and Sony won't have any displays out to handle it
Old 03-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #4693
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
Which TV's are doing DV correctly at this point? Really surprised a title like Star Wars is coming out in DV and Sony won't have any displays out to handle it
Vizio and 2017 LG Oled

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #4694
Banned

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
Sony is slow on the Dolby Vision uptake because Sony didn't create the HDR tech themselves. They're great when it comes to self promotion, but not promoting somebody else's technology. That's why they were caught flat-footed.

However, if it had come from Sony (Sony Vision), they would abandon it within 3 to 4 years.
Thanks given by:
mrtickleuk (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #4695
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2006

Quote:
I will keep my LG UP970 connected for standard blurays for now, until Dolby steps up to the plate (highly unlikely at this point).
Glad to join the HDR10 club again
Seems to me LG is the one who's supposed to step up here.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #4696
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Seems to me LG is the one who's supposed to step up here.

LG has issues with their 2016 models. LG Oled 2017 is fine now.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #4697
Expert Member

Feb 2007

agreed (very much so) :: all Dolby Vision discs also have HDR10

i thought this was going to be implemented 'from the beginning' (DV defeat function) :: (disappointed that it's not generally available) :: for this reason, to facilitate comparisons of Dolby Vision/HDR10, i currently own two LG UP-970 players, one with Dolby Vision and one without (works well, but has a price)

Quote:
Old 03-09-2018, 05:41 PM   #4698
Expert Member

Feb 2007

sensible

Quote:
I agree. I think we should be able to force HDR-10 on all players. Anyone preferring HDR-10 would be able to just ignore the DV data. Then, if/when an update corrects DV playback on your TV, you'll still have the DV content available and can switch it back on if you like.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #4699
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011

Can the Xbox one x do Dolby Vision?
Vizio P65-E1
Onkyo TX-NR708
Phillips BDP-7502 4K UHD Player
Xbox One X (Scorpio), PS4, Nintendo Switch

For sale:
Xbox One X Scorpio Edition (New/Sealed)
PM if interested
Old 03-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #4700

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
DanBa, I think this webinar is at a good time for you… https://ebu.webex.com/mw3200/mywebex...ZtgIa4trWg2%26
The UHD – FEATURES, TESTS AND STANDARDIZATION webinar recording and the presentations can now be accessed at https://tech.ebu.ch/events/2018/uhd-...tandardization
Universal audio/video receiver (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, etc.) is achieved.
Universal HDR TV (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HEVC HLG HDR, VP9-HLG / VP9-PQ YouTube HDR, Dynamic HDR) is required.

Push for universal HDR TV!
Thanks given by:
mrtickleuk (03-10-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology