Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Midnight Cowboy (Blu-ray)
$18.96
22 hrs ago
Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$12.74

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Bull Durham (Blu-ray)
$18.96
9 hrs ago
The Outer Limits: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$46.25

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$29.33

Mandy (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Which version of Star Wars Blu-ray will you be purchasing (or not)?
The Complete Star Wars Saga 1,335 72.48%
The Prequel Box Set 20 1.09%
The Original Trilogy Box Set 110 5.97%
Not Purchasing Star Wars Blu-ray 377 20.47%
Voters: 1842. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2018, 12:15 AM   #65521
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawn View Post
You mean it actually started when some people looked at the initial table read...
Keep going back.

And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 05-24-2018, 01:02 AM   #65522

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardback247 View Post
Can we please stop talking about this "agenda" thing? Why is it worth getting all worked up about?
Well first, movies are just movies and it is true there are people that take movies like SW way too seriously IMO. But at the same time, it's legit when you've watched 6 movies from Lucas with his certain universe and you feel like you kind of are invested in SW some and then he sells it to Disney and they continue the franchise but with a different feel in line with things and priorities they want to do as a company, then it is understandable why some people might get "worked up" because it does change the feel as a whole. They do have a different "feel" than 1-6 in sev ways.

But since I more or less initiated this round of discussion, let me see if I can shift the convo away from all that back specifically to eps1-6. Because I also said this:

"I don't suppose I have any comrades that actually liked the prequels, like the revision of Greedo shooting first (I AGREE with Lucas that portraying Han shooting first blurs the good and evil lines too much since Han is on the "good side"), like the Vader "NOOO!" and most of the other changes, and basically thought eps 1-6 were pretty well done on Blu and look amazing"?

So I've gathered from reading in this thread (not all 65k posts mind you lol) that many have issues with the changes Lucas has made. While I am in general very sympathetic to concerns about later revisionism, most of the changes I really don't have any issue with and some I even really like. But I didn't grow up really watching SW and wasn't used to seeing thing a certain way, so I'm sure that plays into why it doesn't bother me like it does others. To me Vader's "Nooo" in ROTJ makes sense, to me Han NOT shooting first makes sense, to me the changed music at the end of ROTJ is much better, to me adding the Jabba scene into ANH makes sense continuity wise with the series as a whole (even if in the individual movie it might have been more unnecessary given the Greedo scene). etc.

Last edited by chrislong2; 05-24-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:15 AM   #65523
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2016
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
Are 50% of the characters in Disney movies women? Are 50% of starring roles in Disney movies given to women?
What’s the point in deliberately having 50% of staring roles going to men and the other 50% to women? The stories are what matter, not the gender of the characters. If the movies happen to have more men than women, or more women than men, I don’t see why it matters in either case. What matters is that the movies are good.
Thanks given by:
chrislong2 (05-24-2018), Kyle15 (05-24-2018), Lionel Horsepackage (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 01:16 AM   #65524

Jan 2012

And you know what I was most impressed with when watching 1-6 on Blu in order starting with 1? That even though eps4-6 were filmed much earlier than 1-3, they managed to reasonably keep a similar look throughout (some of which is precisely because of the changes they made - like the look of Palpatine in 4-6 to match 1-3). I'm not saying there aren't noticeable differences between 1-3 and 4-6 too (i.e. much more CGI in 1-3) but overall when you watch them in a row they actually fit reasonably well as far as overall look. Going from 3 to 4 wasn't as bad of a jump as I thought it might be given that one came from the mid-2000's and one came from the mid-70's (I previously had only watched 4-6 and then 1-3).

With that said, while Lucas managed to smooth many things to make 1-3 and 4-6 more cohesive, there are still very noticeable plot discrepancies between them and I wish he'd put more care into making sure the story lined up in the prequels (as much as I enjoy the prequels) because there are lines in 4-6 that directly contradict what you see in 1-3 (things I didn't notice before when I watched 4-6 first but did notice when watching them after).
Thanks given by:
Lionel Horsepackage (05-24-2018), Roonan (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 01:28 AM   #65525
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Los Angeles

The Prequels have many problems with their clunky execution, but one thing I love about them is the lesson they're trying to impart about how thinking things have to be all one way or the other and that there is no in-between is totally dangerous.

I would have thought that was heavy-handed enough to be explicit to everybody, but the older I get the more I realize some folks just aren't capable of recognizing it and it makes me really sad.
Thanks given by:
Alan_Grant (05-24-2018), Lionel Horsepackage (05-24-2018), octagon (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 01:34 AM   #65526
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydood View Post
The Prequels have many problems with their clunky execution, but one thing I love about them is the lesson they're trying to impart about how thinking things have to be all one way or the other and that there is no in-between is totally dangerous.

I would have thought that was heavy-handed enough to be explicit to everybody, but the older I get the more I realize some folks just aren't capable of recognizing it and it makes me really sad.
Setting aside all my myriad gripes with the PT, Palpatine's oily 'good is a point of view' sales pitch to Anakin is without question one of the best sequences in the entire saga.

I also liked Padme suggesting that they might be on the wrong side. If it was up to me they would have cut a dozen or so saber duels and explored that a little more
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (05-29-2018), happydood (05-24-2018), Lionel Horsepackage (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 02:04 AM   #65527

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislong2 View Post
And you know what I was most impressed with when watching 1-6 on Blu in order starting with 1? That even though eps4-6 were filmed much earlier than 1-3, they managed to reasonably keep a similar look throughout (some of which is precisely because of the changes they made - like the look of Palpatine in 4-6 to match 1-3). I'm not saying there aren't noticeable differences between 1-3 and 4-6 too (i.e. much more CGI in 1-3) but overall when you watch them in a row they actually fit reasonably well as far as overall look. Going from 3 to 4 wasn't as bad of a jump as I thought it might be given that one came from the mid-2000's and one came from the mid-70's (I previously had only watched 4-6 and then 1-3).
Are you blind or something? They look nothing alike. Especially the video-shot II and III. They look like fan films compared to the originals.
Thanks given by:
IndyMLVC (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #65528

Jan 2012

Well since the great purge I guess, I do at least want to respond to this for clarification:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolawicz View Post
Are you blind or something?
Boy I hope not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolawicz View Post
They look nothing alike. Especially the video-shot II and III. They look like fan films compared to the originals.
I was meaning "feel" in terms of overarching feel in regards more to story and whether say ep4 felt terribly dated or out-of-place when viewed right after ep3 etc due to the significant difference in production time between them. I don't disagree that ep1-3 and esp ep2-3 have a different look since 2&3 were digital as opposed to film, though I think using the words "fan films" is a little much. I will say that there's no doubt that the best LOOKING of 1-6 are 4-6. They did a great job on the restoration of 4-6 (regardless of how one feels about the changes etc.)
Old 05-25-2018, 12:54 AM   #65529
Special Member

May 2013

Quote:
I will say that there's no doubt that the best LOOKING of 1-6 are 4-6. They did a great job on the restoration of 4-6 (regardless of how one feels about the changes etc.)
The BDs of 4-6 are sourced from 2K masters made in 2004 for the original DVD release. Also many have complained about the colors of the BDs.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:33 AM   #65530

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
The BDs of 4-6 are sourced from 2K masters made in 2004 for the original DVD release. Also many have complained about the colors of the BDs.
Wow, I don't doubt you, but that's an awful good 2k restoration then because it looks stellar from what I can see. I found myself pausing several times just to admire the picture. I didn't own releases prior to the blu and my viewings pre-Blu were sporadic to say the least, but I thought the color on the blu's was magnificent - seriously, I was admiring it (esp the look of R2D2 and C3PO). So if it wasn't in line with what some would have wanted or expected based on theatrical or previous releases, I'm not saying they might not have a point, but all I know is I thought it looked great.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:40 AM   #65531

Jan 2015

I honestly don't like the magenta-like tones for the OT BD. Some of the color looks natural, but others look a bit off.

Also, I don't like some of the BD changes. I'm sorry, but Vader yelling "Nooo" keeps me from watching the Special Editions. Other changes I can shrug off, like Obi-Wan's Krayt Dragon call, and even the previous alterations (the bad ones) like Greedo shooting first, or Jedi Rocks. That change in particular really disrupts the tone of the scene.

I know that an official release for the theatrical cuts is out of the question. I'm interested to know how a 4k transfer can be done. I'm existed, and worried. Star Wars in 4k will be a huge deal, but this usually involves going back to the original negatives. How can they do this? The film negatives were probably altered for the SE. Either way, I hope they're still intact.

Last edited by Mefan101; 05-25-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:09 AM   #65532

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefan101 View Post
I'm sorry, but Vader yelling "Nooo" keeps me from watching the Special Editions.
Can you help me out because I keep hearing concern about this "Nooo" and I guess I'm just not understanding. Probably somewhere back in the 65000 previous posts someone else explains it, but what exactly is the beef with that?

We're talking about the scene at the end of ROTJ right? Where Vader says the short "No" and turns and gives the longer "NOOOO" as he runs to intervene and pick up his master?

Again, I admit that I never watched SW much before the blu's (I did see ROTJ once upon a time pre-SE but that was a long long time ago). I assume in the original that he just gave the short No, without the longer one that followed?

But to me, all the longer "NOOO!" does is emphasize Vader's choice to the viewer. I don't think it's necessarily needed (his actions speak loud enough), but I don't really see any problem with it either?? Either way, he made the same choice, so why it does it really matter whether he emphasizes it more or not? His rushing action to disrupt the lightning is already an intense moment so what's the big deal with adding a little extra "audio oomph" to it by just having Vader be extra resolute and make it even a tad more intense?

What am I missing? Is this just a case of people being used to it one way for a long time that when it's changed, it just bothers them because it doesn't play how they always saw it? (that's not a criticism - I can totally understand that frustration).
Old 05-25-2018, 04:09 AM   #65533
Power Member

Sep 2014
Winnetka, CA

Yeah the magenta tones are awful on the OT BD's, especially Star Wars. Everyone's skin tones are way off, and the laser blast shots look horrendous I don't hate the changes Lucas has made to these movies, but they'd be a lot easier to watch if the color timing was a bit more natural looking.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (05-29-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 04:22 AM   #65534

Jan 2015

Quote:
Can you help me out because I keep hearing concern about this "Nooo" and I guess I'm just not understanding. Probably somewhere back in the 65000 previous posts someone else explains it, but what exactly is the beef with that?

We're talking about the scene at the end of ROTJ right? Where Vader says the short "No" and turns and gives the longer "NOOOO" as he runs to intervene and pick up his master?

Again, I admit that I never watched SW much before the blu's (I did see ROTJ once upon a time pre-SE but that was a long long time ago). I assume in the original that he just gave the short No, without the longer one that followed?

But to me, all the longer "NOOO!" does is emphasize Vader's choice to the viewer. I don't think it's necessarily needed (his actions speak loud enough), but I don't really see any problem with it either?? Either way, he made the same choice, so why it does it really matter whether he emphasizes it more or not? His rushing action to disrupt the lightning is already an intense moment so what's the big deal with adding a little extra "audio oomph" to it by just having Vader be extra resolute and make it even a tad more intense?

What am I missing? Is this just a case of people being used to it one way for a long time that when it's changed, it just bothers them because it doesn't play how they always saw it? (that's not a criticism - I can totally understand that frustration).
For me, I've been a fan since the early 90's (I was born in 1990), and the 1980's tapes (released by CBS/FOX) were my intro to Star Wars. The one I watched the most was Return Of The Jedi. I didn't watch The Empire Strikes Back as much, and I barely saw anything from A New Hope. In fact, I didn't see ANH from start to finish until the Special Edition in 1997. I didn't see the other SE's until I was around 11-12. The changes in TESB were pretty neat, but that one (Jedi Rocks) in ROTJ was quite jarring. Overtime I was used to the Special Editions, until the Blu Ray changes.

Vader's "Nooo" was almost the nail on the coffin. Vader's conflict was from within, and outside. A good example of how silence is golden, and more powerful. It's the main reason why I have the Despecialized Editions. If there was one Theatrical edition I wanted back the most, it was Return Of The Jedi.
Thanks given by:
chrislong2 (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 04:23 AM   #65535
Special Member

May 2013

Quote:

All releases of Return of the Jedi prior to the BD had Vader speaking no dialogue in this scene. His conflict is implied with his gestures. For the BD release the two ‘No’’s were added which many fans were infuriated by. Some feel it just diminishes the tough, powerful, you name it aspects of the character and just wasn’t necessary. Some have also contemplated if the change was a result of the backlash to Vader’s similar ‘Noooo’ at the end of Revenge of the Sith.
Thanks given by:
chrislong2 (05-25-2018), Geoff D (05-29-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 05:08 AM   #65536

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
All releases of Return of the Jedi prior to the BD had Vader speaking no dialogue in this scene. His conflict is implied with his gestures. For the BD release the two ‘No’’s were added which many fans were infuriated by. Some feel it just diminishes the tough, powerful, you name it aspects of the character and just wasn’t necessary. Some have also contemplated if the change was a result of the backlash to Vader’s similar ‘Noooo’ at the end of Revenge of the Sith.
Ahh, that explains it thx. I can see why if there were no No's there at all that the addition could be jarring and frustrating. Trying to envision it without them and I can see why that could arguably be more powerful.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:15 AM   #65537

Jul 2017
Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefan101 View Post
Also, I don't like some of the BD changes. I'm sorry, but Vader yelling "Nooo" keeps me from watching the Special Editions. Other changes I can shrug off, like Obi-Wan's Krayt Dragon call, and even the previous alterations (the bad ones) like Greedo shooting first, or Jedi Rocks. That change in particular really disrupts the tone of the scene.
It's that plus Christensen as the Force ghost that have me reaching for my Despecialized Edition more than anything else. I was introduced to the films with the originals but became a true SW geek when the special editions were released in theaters in '97 and would gladly buy and re-watch those warts and all. I actually switched to Youtube at the end of my last viewing of ROTJ just to get Victory Celebration (Williams's best composition by far for ROTJ regardless of edition) instead of Yub Nub.
4K and Blu-ray digital codes for sale: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...stcount=117745
Old 05-25-2018, 06:19 AM   #65538
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2016
Los Angeles

Quote:
Well first, movies are just movies and it is true there are people that take movies like SW way too seriously IMO. But at the same time, it's legit when you've watched 6 movies from Lucas with his certain universe and you feel like you kind of are invested in SW some and then he sells it to Disney and they continue the franchise but with a different feel in line with things and priorities they want to do as a company, then it is understandable why some people might get "worked up" because it does change the feel as a whole. They do have a different "feel" than 1-6 in sev ways.

But since I more or less initiated this round of discussion, let me see if I can shift the convo away from all that back specifically to eps1-6. Because I also said this:

"I don't suppose I have any comrades that actually liked the prequels, like the revision of Greedo shooting first (I AGREE with Lucas that portraying Han shooting first blurs the good and evil lines too much since Han is on the "good side"), like the Vader "NOOO!" and most of the other changes, and basically thought eps 1-6 were pretty well done on Blu and look amazing"?

So I've gathered from reading in this thread (not all 65k posts mind you lol) that many have issues with the changes Lucas has made. While I am in general very sympathetic to concerns about later revisionism, most of the changes I really don't have any issue with and some I even really like. But I didn't grow up really watching SW and wasn't used to seeing thing a certain way, so I'm sure that plays into why it doesn't bother me like it does others. To me Vader's "Nooo" in ROTJ makes sense, to me Han NOT shooting first makes sense, to me the changed music at the end of ROTJ is much better, to me adding the Jabba scene into ANH makes sense continuity wise with the series as a whole (even if in the individual movie it might have been more unnecessary given the Greedo scene). etc.
For me the problem isn’t so much that I grew up watching the originals and therefore am biased against the special editions; it’s that the special editions are extremely awkward. If my first exposure to Star Wars was watching the special editions, I’d be thinking to myself, “Why the hell are there CGI rats and dinosaurs in this movie? Was a deleted scene from Jurassic Park cut and pasted into the film?” Also, the CGI Han Solo head dodge is very weird looking. The blending of late 70s/early 80s special effects with late 90s/early 2000s CGI makes for an extremely awkward and jarring viewing experience in my opinion. It would be like watching Citizen Kane and showing a flashback scene of young Kane on his sled doing CGI jumps and flips off of snowy mountain tops.
Thanks given by:
chrislong2 (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 07:24 AM   #65539

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyh64 View Post
For me the problem isn’t so much that I grew up watching the originals and therefore am biased against the special editions; it’s that the special editions are extremely awkward. If my first exposure to Star Wars was watching the special editions, I’d be thinking to myself, “Why the hell are there CGI rats and dinosaurs in this movie? Was a deleted scene from Jurassic Park cut and pasted into the film?” Also, the CGI Han Solo head dodge is very weird looking. The blending of late 70s/early 80s special effects with late 90s/early 2000s CGI makes for an extremely awkward and jarring viewing experience in my opinion. It would be like watching Citizen Kane and showing a flashback scene of young Kane on his sled doing CGI jumps and flips off of snowy mountain tops.
I totally get what you are saying with this and I WANT to agree with you (it sounds logical), but I actually just got done watching eps 1-6 in order starting with 1, and I didn't feel that way. I actually was impressed that 4-6 SE managed to keep some of the feel introduced in the prequels by having the CGI additions etc. It all flowed rather nicely to me and I didn't have any major "that looks really out of place" or "awkward looking" moments (but again, I didn't grow up really familiar with the original versions either). Actually with the blu's one of the things I was most surprised at is that due to those things and the color grading seemingly more in line with the prequels, is that the whole package of 1-6 felt more cohesive. If I was watching 1-3 and then was watching the yellowish original version of 4-6 with all the old fx and no cgi etc, it would look a lot more like I went from watching late 90's/early 00's films back to the 70's. With the changes, when watching them back to back, it felt a lot more natural to me (even with the "70's hair" etc.). Even tho ep4-6 were from the 70's, the fact that they actually are the sharpest/look the best on the blu even further helps with this.

I totally get why some would prefer the look of the original, but I also get why Lucas wanted to change things to make it all flow together better with the prequels.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #65540
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2015

Only episode IV was from the 70s.
MHOR CHN LCHT RRD. GU BIDNNG SHN FEHD RO FHUAR. GD J'DI CRRN SA TU NAF EUN OA. - Thon
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America