Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Prototype 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.26

The LEGO Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.41
3 hrs ago
Dino King 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.49

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.92

Jivaro 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.98

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 11-26-2018, 08:07 AM   #3101
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Hey Joe:

I like you, pray that China's apparent love of 3D is real. But the other posters before you I believe may be right. I still believe 3D is a process few really can get into, and I see no reason why the chinese population would be different than americans and europeans, who appear to only have a small group of people who are actually able to enjoy 3D.

We just take it for granted that since we enjoy it so much and have no trouble viewing 3D, that everyone can.

It was only a twist of fate that 3D made it as far as it did this time around. How fortunate are we? Extremely I would say!
Old 11-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #3102

Oct 2014

Not that anything is wrong...but...just how many life vests do we have captain?
Old 11-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #3103
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Hey Joe:

I like you, pray that China's apparent love of 3D is real. But the other posters before you I believe may be right. I still believe 3D is a process few really can get into, and I see no reason why the chinese population would be different than americans and europeans, who appear to only have a small group of people who are actually able to enjoy 3D.

We just take it for granted that since we enjoy it so much and have no trouble viewing 3D, that everyone can.

It was only a twist of fate that 3D made it as far as it did this time around. How fortunate are we? Extremely I would say!
Hi wild, my good buddy,

That's why I took the historical approach and posted backup material. Being state forced not due to any "cultural revolution" but a monopolistic investment, 3D was bound to be successful economically in the short term because the scales were deliberatly tipped in its favor.

That's why it is now obvious there was not the obsession in China many of us thought there was. Even Forbes didn't take into account the issue of state control as a sign of limited choice, distorting its assessment of 3Ds actual popularity as those here more astutely did not.

3D isn't for everyone as you correctly point out. It's for us enthusiasts. At this point we don't know if it is even popular enough in China to retain a smaller but healthy niche following down the road that might still distinguish itself from other regions. I'm hoping so in order for 3D to continue to hang on.

You might have guessed my degree was in History with an emphasis on political science.
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (11-28-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #3104
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Not that anything is wrong...but...just how many life vests do we have captain?
Hi Kenbar,

An analogy with the 3D conversion not changing the outcome for Titanic?
Thanks given by:
Kenbar (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 02:39 AM   #3105

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
]

Hi Kenbar,

An analogy with the 3D conversion not changing the outcome for Titanic?
Yea. I believe you are correct when you say we are just a small group of enthusiast. Even in my own world it seems no one cares about 3D other than me. I invite people to come over for a 3D movie and...I have a little luck, but not much. Seems most just could care less. Even my "kids" (in their middle/late 30's) seem uninterested when they come down for a visit. They will watch one or two. But think they are just doing that to make me happy. Becoming a bit of a lonely hobby.

And to me it seems like the door is closing quicker now. So many films released in theaters in 3D...but not for the home market. And I don't know what James Cameron has in mind for Avatar 2. But doubt it will end up being a game changer for 3D in the home.

I'm sure home 3D will have some resurgence at some point down the road. Some point. But...
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (11-27-2018), Rickyrockard (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #3106

Jul 2017
england

Quote:
Yea. I believe you are correct when you say we are just a small group of enthusiast. Even in my own world it seems no one cares about 3D other than me. I invite people to come over for a 3D movie and...I have a little luck, but not much. Seems most just could care less. Even my "kids" (in their middle/late 30's) seem uninterested when they come down for a visit. They will watch one or two. But think they are just doing that to make me happy. Becoming a bit of a lonely hobby.

And to me it seems like the door is closing quicker now. So many films released in theaters in 3D...but not for the home market. And I don't know what James Cameron has in mind for Avatar 2. But doubt it will end up being a game changer for 3D in the home.

I'm sure home 3D will have some resurgence at some point down the road. Some point. But...
yeah i find the same....my wife is one of these who cant sit for 2.2minutes without checking her phone, so then complains of headaches caused by looking at phone through glasses

and if im watching 3d i like to have the 1000w home cinema on, to enjoy it, but sleeping family prevents that, so gonna have to get some good tv wireless headphones and go solo.
what a life

the dream would be a proper home cinema out building or something...one day....real cinema seats, a bar, 7.1 h/c, huge projector, just in time for 2033 when they release dawn of the dead and friday the 13th part 3 in 3d...
Old 11-27-2018, 11:57 AM   #3107
Special Member

Jul 2009

Quote:
On the home front, James Cameron Is invested in the Dolby glasses-free TV tec that is awaiting a rollout. The tec is done and they are just waiting on a strategy as far as I know. I believe that strategy will coincide with Avatar 2 in some capacity.
Proof? If this is actually true then I can finally sleep soundly, but I've heard too many false statements to get excited.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:58 PM   #3108

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by presidentevil3d View Post

the dream would be a proper home cinema out building or something...one day....real cinema seats, a bar, 7.1 h/c, huge projector, just in time for 2033 when they release dawn of the dead and friday the 13th part 3 in 3d...
My dream theater starts with just a good sized shed and goes from there

Old 11-27-2018, 09:21 PM   #3109

Jul 2017
england

That would do it
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 10:29 PM   #3110
Expert Member

Aug 2009
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
Proof? If this is actually true then I can finally sleep soundly, but I've heard too many false statements to get excited.
I’m not aware that there’s been any developments on this in the 5 years since the announcement https://variety.com/2013/tv/news/cam...ce-1200335710/ ...unless AdamR has seen something else?

Either way, until it’s confirmed to be dead...there’s a chance?

Old 11-28-2018, 12:49 AM   #3111

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyrockard View Post
I’m not aware that there’s been any developments on this in the 5 years since the announcement https://variety.com/2013/tv/news/cam...ce-1200335710/ ...unless AdamR has seen something else?

Either way, until it’s confirmed to be dead...there’s a chance?

Just maybe?

https://www.ultra-d.com/

And from the 2018 CES...

Old 11-28-2018, 06:03 AM   #3112
Banned

Aug 2011

Saw Ralph Breaks the Internet in 3D in the theaters this week and boy is 3D cinema still as terrible as I remember it. Very little depth to speak of, and of course being a movie with a 2K digital intermediate, very blurry having to watch something rendered at such a low resolution on such a big screen.

Do normies really think that this is acceptable quality? It was such an inferior experience to watching Wreck It Ralph on my 3D capable 4K TV. It's like, everything is watered down when you view it in a movie theater compared to viewing it at home. That's the best I can describe it. Movie theaters are like "light" lemonade and the home theater is regular lemonade.

I still can't believe they're still trying so hard to kill off 3D in the home when the theater experience is still so bad.

I guess I'm just pissed that out of the endless number of universes I could've been born in it had to be one of the darkest timelines where 3D in the home doesn't survive, Trump becomes president of the United States, and climate change destroys the Earth.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:49 AM   #3113
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Default The divine vision

Quote:

Not life vests Ken, but a brotherhood(and sisterhood, as well). We share a vision, literally. Visions are always limited in scope to certain individuals. Those that don't have the vision are less than understanding at times to our vision. They want to pigeonhole us and make us feel almost like lepers. Driving us out to little isolated areas to see the vision. I want all to see my vision, but that is the beauty and curse of a vision; only you and others like you can see it. I have come to embrace my "mutant" vision, if you will.

The whole problem with glassless 3D is it just can't be as good as what we already have. The thought by our brotherhood is that if we make 3d for the masses that everyone will see what we see. Not gonna happen. Yes 8k and glassesless 3D will occur I believe but just not the same as what we have now. One requires spatial ability the other just an improvement on the existing system of regular tv. The brotherhood is self-limiting in its membership no matter how much we would like to get others to see our literal "vision." Accept the inevitable; you are not on the Titanic you are in paradise. You have the final piece to the puzzle. You have the 3D tv at its finest, glasses that are basically weightless, and 1080 picture. And finally you have the ability to see it as it meant to be seen by your brain.

I thank Cameron for basically "tricking" Hollywood into giving us what we have. It took the hollywood types a while though to understand, as it has for Cameron, that Cameron's inner circle, like us, were part of a very limited number of the 3D brotherhood. The original definition of Avatar indeed takes on a truly wonderful definition to the members of the brotherhood. It was not the movie the Avatar that made the final iteration of 3D we enjoy now possible; it was us, the brotherhood that mistakenly thought all would share our vision. The few saw the vision and loved it and convinced those that did not that by the manipulation of their greed unknowingly by those with the vision, that the vision could at some point be seen by all, and they were in. The rest of the world wanted to see the vision; and they see our love for the vision. But that was not enough. The vision belongs to us and to us alone. I will never apologize nor give up my vision because they don't have the vision, and I will never forget that they don't want me to have it. They have just realized these things as well. And they are not happy. That is why they are wanting to stamp 3D out of existence.

They have only now realized what we are realizing. We have been given a gift: The Vision. We are the Avatar.

Last edited by wildbill722; 11-30-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (11-29-2018), Kenbar (11-28-2018), Paul H (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #3114
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
More drama now:
Quote:
(Ultra D 3D TV) is now in a whole kettle of mess with owners and management suing each other for embezzlement and mismanagement. Technology might be close to being ready for prime time but there is no one to bring it to the finish line - unless one of the big boys decide to step in and buy out the technology.
Source 1
Source 2
Thanks given by:
Kenbar (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 07:30 PM   #3115

Nov 2015

Part of the problem is marketing/branding. Everyone wants to name something after themselves, even if they don't get royalties for the products in question. Just look at all the acronyms thrown around for the same idea -- screens that reach from the ceiling to the floor and brought closer to the seats (eg people copying IMAX's theater geometry). Disney went so far as to label 3D movies "Disney Digital 3-D", though as far as I can tell, Disney isn't doing anything different from anyone else with regards to either shooting in 3D or converting to 3D.
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 04:01 AM   #3116
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Gee wild bill,

You're getting me all misty (with apologies to Maynard G. Krebbs).
Old 11-30-2018, 11:43 PM   #3117
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Gee wild bill,

You're getting me all misty (with apologies to Maynard G. Krebbs).
You know how to get me all misty too, Joe!

I love me some Bob Denver! Most under-appreciated actor ever. I finally broke down and got the color version of Gilligan's Island, first season. I couldn't help myself.

Was just thinking of you Joe. Having Prime Rib tonight. The smell in the kitchen is literally over-powering! My mouth won't stop salivating. And afterwards, home made ice cream and Incredibles 2 3D. You gotta come see me sometime. I can at least feed you and your wife some good food!

Hope you and the wife are having a great Friday night!

Last edited by wildbill722; 11-30-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Thanks given by:
Rickyrockard (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 04:35 AM   #3118
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:

I love me some Bob Denver! Most under-appreciated actor ever. I finally broke down and got the color version of Gilligan's Island, first season. I couldn't help myself.

Was just thinking of you Joe. Having Prime Rib tonight. The smell in the kitchen is literally over-powering! My mouth won't stop salivating. And afterwards, home made ice cream and Incredibles 2 3D. You gotta come see me sometime. I can at least feed you and your wife some good food!

You're on bill. Just wait for the warm weather, no hurricanes or earthquakes.

Scary with anchorage.

Hey, wasn't the first season of Gilligan in black and white? So you got computerized color? Gilligan was fun but Bob to me will always be the biggest fan of the film "The Monster that Devoured Cleveland ".
Old 12-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #3119

Oct 2014

Quote:

I have all 3 seasons. Just wanted to...bragg a bit Might have to revisit them now that ya brought it up.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #3120
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:
I have all 3 seasons. Just wanted to...bragg a bit Might have to revisit them now that ya brought it up.
Throw these babies on and we can veg for hours, Ken! Even convert it to 3D. Terrific!

Joe, yes, conversion to color for season 1 by Ted Turner, I believe? Some weird colors, i.e., Skippers shirt goes to black, etc. But still cool to see in color.

Ken, you can't go wrong with the "little buddy."! and the rest.

Happy holidays, ya'll.

Bill
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Tags
3d t.v, 3d tv production halted, 4k3d, broadcast, external processor, ode, poping, resurrection