Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Game of Thrones: The Complete Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$249.95

Do the Right Thing (Blu-ray)
$27.37
2 hrs ago
Lost in Space: Season One (Blu-ray)
$36.66
8 hrs ago
Alien 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$11.99

They Might Be Giants (Blu-ray)
$19.98
9 hrs ago
Mad Men: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$77.12

Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Cold Pursuit (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
Ice Age: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.96
8 hrs ago
Game of Thrones 4K: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Aquaman (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 03-14-2019, 11:50 PM   #61

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

Actually, I did a little more research on the PS3... looks like hacking them for region-switching capability is not that big of a deal (you need a custom ROM and app)... and I just happen to have a "fat" PS3 sitting mostly unused after the networking went was flaky, but started working again after I bought a slim... I guess I need to take a closer look at it!
Old 03-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #62

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

FWIW, I was able to take my old PS3 and hack it to allow multiregion playback. It wasn't too terribly difficult but you need to have one that hasn't updated to the latest firmware - since my old one hadn't been turned on in months, it worked out perfectly.

However, the experience is a little clunky, the process confusing, and worst of all - no 50hz playback, so there go a lot of the legacy extras on region B discs. Still, it's always good to have another way to playback the movies, at least!
Old 03-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #63
Special Member

May 2018

Years ago, there used to be blu ray players that could be modified using thier remote. they were Philips blu ray players that had some code you could enter. I gave mine away some years ago but now regret it

That said, I have an OPPO 203 that I bought and so far have used it maybe 5 times in 6 months since i already had a Samsung UHD player. So both of these are hooked up to my receiver. Thing is that I have bought several region B blu rays this past 2 years and now i'm in a pickle as to which player to get. I'd rather not mod my OPPO.

Are there still some blu ray players that could be changed with their remotes? enter codes etc?
Old 03-21-2019, 05:21 PM   #64
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

I modded both my Oppo 93 and 203 with the internal hardware module - you just plug it into a specific open plug on the main board and peel and stick the module to the side of the chassis. Takes about 15 seconds to install. Some of the mods actually connect to the USB and RS-232 ports on the back of the Oppo, so you don't even have to remove the cover.
Thanks given by:
stratford (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #65

Apr 2009

I would love to be able to buy a 3d blu ray player from the UK and have it shipped to my home in the US and just have it work out of the box (AC power converter aside). I don't want to have to "hack" anything or "mod" anything.

I have a PS3 collecting dust in a closet. If there's a way to SIMPLY make a change to allow it to play R2 blu ray discs, that'd be great.

I couldn't find anything online that lets you do it.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #66
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Yeah i have the external mod on my oppo 203 that was on my 103 and it works great. Just put the code into the remote and it changes the region.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:50 PM   #67
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheadz View Post
Years ago, there used to be blu ray players that could be modified using thier remote. they were Philips blu ray players that had some code you could enter. I gave mine away some years ago but now regret it

That said, I have an OPPO 203 that I bought and so far have used it maybe 5 times in 6 months since i already had a Samsung UHD player. So both of these are hooked up to my receiver. Thing is that I have bought several region B blu rays this past 2 years and now i'm in a pickle as to which player to get. I'd rather not mod my OPPO.

Are there still some blu ray players that could be changed with their remotes? enter codes etc?
The only US player I'm aware of that allows remote code based region Changing is the OOP Seiki unit. If you are in Michigan -- ABC Warehouse retailer still apparently had a few instore only units the last I checked.
Otherwise Ebay has a few though the price keeps going up everytime one gets listed -- teh last one sold $130 which is 2.5x what I paid for a new one a few years ago.

I'm not sure I understand not wanting to spend $50 to get the Region Free plug in external module for the Oppo's though. 1 minute install, 100% stable, immediately reversible and half to 1/3 the cost of any other option.

Otherwise just grab one of the Region B Sony's (generally my preference) and have at it.
Thanks given by:
evoll (03-21-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:00 AM   #68
Special Member

May 2018

Which player do you guys recommend? I need one that can play 3D as well.

Otherwise, where do i get the $50 OPPO mod ?
Old 03-22-2019, 06:55 AM   #69
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheadz View Post
Which player do you guys recommend? I need one that can play 3D as well.

Otherwise, where do i get the $50 OPPO mod ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OPPO-BDP-10...cAAOxyo-9Q0Vt0

I did a Make an offer a couple weeks ago and a $52 bid was accepted. If you hold on for a 15% or $5 off code that Ebay has offered fairly often ESP neat the end of a Quarter then maybe a little cheaper

It says 103, but it works on everything from an 83 to the 205. On some players it can be internally mounted easily, on others (xx5 or Darbee's) it's easier to leave it external. I've had this one for 4-5 years on my 93 and just got a second one for a 103D I bought.

If you still want a separate player.
For a 3D region free player I'd go with a Sony 5500-6700 if you want a US player. If you want a UK dedicated player like the thread topic then I'd suggest a UK Sony or Panasonic of a similar level.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:16 PM   #70

Mar 2013
Coker, AL USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OPPO-BDP-10...cAAOxyo-9Q0Vt0

I did a Make an offer a couple weeks ago and a $52 bid was accepted. If you hold on for a 15% or $5 off code that Ebay has offered fairly often ESP neat the end of a Quarter then maybe a little cheaper

It says 103, but it works on everything from an 83 to the 205. On some players it can be internally mounted easily, on others (xx5 or Darbee's) it's easier to leave it external. I've had this one for 4-5 years on my 93 and just got a second one for a 103D I bought.

If you still want a separate player.
For a 3D region free player I'd go with a Sony 5500-6700 if you want a US player. If you want a UK dedicated player like the thread topic then I'd suggest a UK Sony or Panasonic of a similar level.
Steelheadz, if you do find a UK 3D player you can get delivered to a US address, p-l-e-a-s-e post the info here ASAP!

I've been looking on Amazon UK for one for quite a while, and all of them I found said they can't be delivered to me (I have a US address), even though the 2D players can be. I'd love to get one, especially if it's dual-voltage and has built-in PAL-NTSC conversion.

Rick
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders