Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
22 hrs ago
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
18 hrs ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
18 hrs ago
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$10.39

Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
12 hrs ago
Avengers: Age of Ultron 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.17
2 hrs ago
Rocketman 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.72
2 hrs ago
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > OLED TVs

Old 03-04-2019, 06:21 PM   #4041
Expert Member

Mar 2007
Rochester NY

Google owns youtube. So when you go in to MA you have to connect googleplay to MA in order to get your MA movies to appear in googleplay and youtube. Also note you have to use the same email address/login credential with google and youtube for youtube to see the MA movies you get when linking googleplay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (73.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #4042

Jul 2017
Default Netflix LG App Sound Issues

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing a strange issue when watching Netflix via my LG E7P's internal app and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it/knows of a fix --

When I open the app, my AVR, which is set to AUTO, immediately shifts into Dolby 5.1 and anything that I watch, whether it's in 5.1 or not, plays in 5.1. For example, old episodes of the original Twilight Zone play in 5.1 even though the show does not have a 5.1 track. My AVR doesn't switch to stereo. It remains in 5.1. Even when I manually select the stereo track for say, Stranger Things, my AVR still shows 5.1. Oddly, it's playing the stereo track, but keeping all speaker channels open. I don't think the app is transcoding (not sure if that's the right word, I'm very much a layperson when it comes to this stuff) the stereo track into 5.1 but rather playing a stereo track mistakenly with all of the surround channels still on because it sounds markedly different from the genuine 5.1 track.

In comparison, when I watch Netflix via my Apple TV 4K, my AVR will switch on the fly to whatever format the content I'm viewing is in. It displays 5.1 if I'm watching a movie in 5.1, and switches to stereo for a show like Twilight Zone.

I have to assume this is a bug with the internal LG app?

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2019, 01:08 AM   #4043
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

It’ll be an LG issue. Are you using ARC? If so you are lucky to be getting any audio at all. My B8 refuses to talk properly to my AVR, my last LG TV was flaky with a different AVR and this one.

Last edited by oddbox83; 04-05-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #4044
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ran1283 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm experiencing a strange issue when watching Netflix via my LG E7P's internal app and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it/knows of a fix --

When I open the app, my AVR, which is set to AUTO, immediately shifts into Dolby 5.1 and anything that I watch, whether it's in 5.1 or not, plays in 5.1. For example, old episodes of the original Twilight Zone play in 5.1 even though the show does not have a 5.1 track. My AVR doesn't switch to stereo. It remains in 5.1. Even when I manually select the stereo track for say, Stranger Things, my AVR still shows 5.1. Oddly, it's playing the stereo track, but keeping all speaker channels open. I don't think the app is transcoding (not sure if that's the right word, I'm very much a layperson when it comes to this stuff) the stereo track into 5.1 but rather playing a stereo track mistakenly with all of the surround channels still on because it sounds markedly different from the genuine 5.1 track.

In comparison, when I watch Netflix via my Apple TV 4K, my AVR will switch on the fly to whatever format the content I'm viewing is in. It displays 5.1 if I'm watching a movie in 5.1, and switches to stereo for a show like Twilight Zone.

I have to assume this is a bug with the internal LG app?

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks!
If it works correctly with your Apple TV, what's the issue? You don't really need the TV apps.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #4045
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
It’ll be an LG issue. Are you using ARC? If so you are lucky to be getting any audio at all. My B8 refuses to talk properly to my AVR, my last LG TV was flaky with a different AVR and this one.
I have this issue with my C7 too
Old 04-05-2019, 02:43 PM   #4046
Power Member

Oct 2008

They haven't added any new Alexa functionality to the 2017 models with firmware updates have they?
Old 04-05-2019, 09:35 PM   #4047

Jul 2017
england

Quote:
Itíll be an LG issue. Are you using ARC? If so you are lucky to be getting any audio at all. My B8 refuses to talk properly to my AVR, my last LG TV was flaky with a different AVR and this one.
Arc is a nightmare on any brand,but at least lg supports lg sound sync optical, which never fails and just needs the tv remote.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:36 PM   #4048

Jul 2017
england

Quote:
Itíll be an LG issue. Are you using ARC? If so you are lucky to be getting any audio at all. My B8 refuses to talk properly to my AVR, my last LG TV was flaky with a different AVR and this one.
Have you tried the different hdmi control settings on tv and external boxes?
Old 04-06-2019, 07:21 AM   #4049
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by presidentevil3d View Post
Have you tried the different hdmi control settings on tv and external boxes?

Everything.

Most annoying thing is, it worked brand new but the first automatic updates broke them talking to each other.

I give up. There are ways around it, the only annoyance is that I can't get Atmos from internal apps.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:41 AM   #4050
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
Connecticut

Can anyone provide insights into the best settings for HDR on a 2016 55" LG OLED C6?

I have seen so much conflicting advice while endlessly searching the internet for answers over the last couple years. After trying lots of different settings, I am still never totally satisfied with the HDR image. In particular, dark scenes are usually really dark and blacks are often crushed. Recently, I spent most of my time watching the 4K UHD of Bumblebee messing with settings and levels, specifically trying to get pleasing black levels.

One thing in particular that I am still not getting a straight answer about is whether or not dynamic contrast should be used with HDR content.

For reference, I am using a Sony X800.

Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated :-)
Old 04-15-2019, 03:19 AM   #4051
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Honestly out of the box settings work the best except turn off all the extra stuff like dynamic contrast, super resolution, edge enhancement, noise reduction, mpeg n.r. and trumotion. If you had 2017 then dynamic contrast would be set to low because it activates dynamic tone mapping but yours is a 2016 so def turn d.c. off. Use hdr standard with warm 2 and that will get you close. The 2016 model doesn't tone map high nit movies (4000 nit or higher) well so imo the ub820 works wonders with that year tv.

Last edited by evoll; 04-15-2019 at 04:15 AM.
Thanks given by:
PrestonXI (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #4052
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonXI View Post
Can anyone provide insights into the best settings for HDR on a 2016 55" LG OLED C6?

I have seen so much conflicting advice while endlessly searching the internet for answers over the last couple years. After trying lots of different settings, I am still never totally satisfied with the HDR image. In particular, dark scenes are usually really dark and blacks are often crushed. Recently, I spent most of my time watching the 4K UHD of Bumblebee messing with settings and levels, specifically trying to get pleasing black levels.

One thing in particular that I am still not getting a straight answer about is whether or not dynamic contrast should be used with HDR content.

Also, the noise that the HDR settings introduce to the picture. HDR is still a work in progress.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #4053
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonXI View Post

Get it professionally calibrated (and no, not from BB geek squad).
Thanks given by:
evoll (04-15-2019), jvonl (04-15-2019), Robert Zohn (04-16-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #4054
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
Get it professionally calibrated (and no, not from BB geek squad).
This is the right answer so there is no guessing what the movie should look like.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (04-16-2019), Wingman1977 (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #4055

Jul 2018
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll View Post
If you had 2017 then dynamic contrast would be set to low because it activates dynamic tone mapping
I have a C7, and I've turned off the dynamic contrast on all settings. What's the reason/benefit for turning it on?
Old 04-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #4056
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

There are two different versions of it in the TVs which people often get confused. I know I just had to Google it to make sure I was using the corrent names for each just now.

for the x8 series at least (I have the B8), you want dynamic contrast turned off, there's no need whatsoever for it on an OLED. HDR10 inputs however will give you an additional "dynamic tone mapping" option. You might want to turn that on so you get a sort of quasi HDR10+ with the TV doing the processing.

If evoll is correct, then to get the same on an x7 OLED, you need to have dynamic contrast turned on, but I suspect only when inputting HDR10 and leave it off for every other input.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #4057
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll View Post
This is the right answer so there is no guessing what the movie should look like.
Exactly. People are willing to spend thousands of dollars on a set, but then won't invest a few hundred dollars to have it professionally calibrated so the set will look it's best.
Thanks given by:
evoll (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #4058
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

*hands up*

B8 here, but don't want to pay for calibration when I can get pretty damned close to those picture goals myself. I'm not ashamed to admit this. I know it's not 100% but it's all about context. It's a TV sat in a living room, with various environmental factors changing throughout the day (lighting, etc). Some stuff like OLED light for SDR material has had to be a compromise to work for both sun streaming in the windows and dim light in the evening. If I had a dedicated theatre room, I could well convince myself it would then become worth it where pinpoint accurate settings like target nits would work all of the time.

Look, I know I'm not going to be able to get complete accuracy on luma levels and chroma balance by eye but I believe a combination of eyesight, experience, advice from others can get close enough as dammit for my viewing conditions. I also trust my eyes more than cheap calibration tech aimed at the amateur market.

It's up to an individual to decide for themselves really based on their individual circumstances and preferences. The only thing that annoys me are the handful of people here who act like if you're TV isn't professionally calibrated, your opinions aren't worth salt. I'm not pointing fingers but I think it'll be obvious who they are.

I'm not saying I'll never go for professional calibration either. But why is amateur calibration such a bad word? Often the amateurs can give strong work, the difference is one is the hobbyist, the other does it as a job.

Last edited by oddbox83; 04-16-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Thanks given by:
jibucha (04-16-2019), Thorbiddles (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #4059
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
There are two different versions of it in the TVs which people often get confused. I know I just had to Google it to make sure I was using the corrent names for each just now.

for the x8 series at least (I have the B8), you want dynamic contrast turned off, there's no need whatsoever for it on an OLED. HDR10 inputs however will give you an additional "dynamic tone mapping" option. You might want to turn that on so you get a sort of quasi HDR10+ with the TV doing the processing.

If evoll is correct, then to get the same on an x7 OLED, you need to have dynamic contrast turned on, but I suspect only when inputting HDR10 and leave it off for every other input.
Yes this is exactly what I was getting at, 2018 has its own dtm option and the 2017 is the d.c. low setting only in the HDR settings. The 2016 doesn't have that dynamic tone mapping option but I have found the ub820 works very good for the 2016 OLED with it's optimizer bringing back those blown out highlights on high nit movies. On my 2018 oled I use both the ub820 (HDR) and oppo 203 (DV).
Old 04-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #4060

Mar 2013
Ontario, Canada

Hey OLED thread.
Looks like I'm picking mine up tonight. Just deciding between 65 B8 or 55 C8... $700 difference.
Can someone please advise whether I need new HDMI cables to support HDR/Dolby Vision through my ATV4K and UHD player? I have an LG UBK80.

Last edited by twobelowpar; 04-16-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > OLED TVs