Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
InuYasha: Set 1 (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Initial D Legend: Theatrical Collection (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Fire Force: Season 1, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$35.85
11 hrs ago
After War Gundam X: Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$52.52
12 hrs ago
The Wind Rises (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season One (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Attack on Titan: Season 3, Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Black Clover Season 2, Part 5 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations: Set 03 (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Rail Wars!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! Rikka Version (Blu-ray)
$12.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 11-01-2019, 05:02 PM   #321
Special Member

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
Eventually. It has to air on TV first.
Ah, fair enough. I figured you were posting about a Blu-ray release.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:46 PM   #322
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zw94 View Post
Ah, fair enough. I figured you were posting about a Blu-ray release.
Nah occasionally I post about the anime in general, especially for the new material like this.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:56 AM   #323

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyG View Post
I had always suspected that the first season on Blu-ray was a cynical attempt to screw over nostalgic fans while having absolutely no intention of releasing subsequent seasons on Blu-ray (and surprise surprise, nothing past season 1 has since seen a Blu-ray release).
I can't imagine the sales on Sun And Moon Ultra Adventures was very high on Blu-Ray either. Heck most places that I saw that season sold at only had the DVD release same with the recently released Black And White film collection. I highly doubt that Karen Soccer Mom is going to suddenly whip out her smart phone to see if the Black And White collection is on Blu-Ray when she's perfectly fine with buying the DVD that's in front of her for her kids at Wal-Mart.

Also Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution looks to be set for a limited theatrical run on November 22nd... you know the same weekend some other movie I think called Frozen 2 comes out on. Not that I'm planning on seeing either as I can't stand Frozen to begin with and honestly I'd rather see a new fresh Pokemon film over another nostalgic trip back to Kanto (ugh).
Old 11-07-2019, 04:22 AM   #324

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by demomanTNA View Post
I can't imagine the sales on Sun And Moon Ultra Adventures was very high on Blu-Ray either. Heck most places that I saw that season sold at only had the DVD release same with the recently released Black And White film collection. I highly doubt that Karen Soccer Mom is going to suddenly whip out her smart phone to see if the Black And White collection is on Blu-Ray when she's perfectly fine with buying the DVD that's in front of her for her kids at Wal-Mart.
Most people don't care, but if the option is available in front of them, and the kids are tech savvy enough to appreciate the difference, then I'm sure people would buy it, though I can't imagine that many would go out of their way for it either, particularly if the Blu-ray costs a premium. Blus are typically available in substantially lesser quantities, and go out of print while the DVD remains in print.

At the time of writing, no other season of Pokémon has been released on Blu-ray in Australia. I would have considered buying the HD seasons on Blu had they been available, but the release of Season 1 was a scam, as I had noted in prior posts.

And this is the first I'm hearing about a Western release of Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution. I haven't seen any official word of a release yet.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:35 AM   #325
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

Quote:
And this is the first I'm hearing about a Western release of Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution. I haven't seen any official word of a release yet.
I can't find any official announcement. No dub trailer has been released yet either.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:40 AM   #326

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
I can't find any official announcement. No dub trailer has been released yet either.
I just had a look earlier today (before reading the above post) which is precisely why I'm perplexed.

Australia is usually among the first in the West to get the more recent movies (a far cry from the early 2000s; we finally got Jirachi Wish Maker and Destiny Deoxys on DVD in 2016!).

Maybe they're considering a wider theatrical release for early 2020?

It could go either way. I can't see the cheap-looking 3D animation appealing to a lot of people. One would think that they would have splashed a bit more cash on the film so that they could issue a wide global theatrical release (and perhaps even rival this year's Detective Pikachu in the box office), but I can't see that happening.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #327

Apr 2009

Quote:
I should of stated my source being IMDB which lists November 22nd. Of course that could be entirely wrong but Atom Tickets also has a listing for the movie but no theaters/run times at this point. I'm thinking at best MSBE is getting an limited theatrical run but not until January 2020.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #328
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

Quote:
I should of stated my source being IMDB which lists November 22nd. Of course that could be entirely wrong but Atom Tickets also has a listing for the movie but no theaters/run times at this point. I'm thinking at best MSBE is getting an limited theatrical run but not until January 2020.
Atom Tickets is also using the Japanese poster which is strange. I wouldn't trust it, not yet.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #329
Special Member

Apr 2014

We're about to pass the 20th anniversary of the original film. I find it strange that we've heard almost nothing about the dub. A part of me is hoping that's because it's taking some time to get the original voice actors back for the extra dialogue, but I'm pretty sure Sarah Natochenny already said something about dubbing it. :/
Old 11-07-2019, 09:50 PM   #330
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zw94 View Post
We're about to pass the 20th anniversary of the original film. I find it strange that we've heard almost nothing about the dub. A part of me is hoping that's because it's taking some time to get the original voice actors back for the extra dialogue, but I'm pretty sure Sarah Natochenny already said something about dubbing it. :/
Trust me when I tell you that they won't be using the original dub. That would undoubtedly upset the current voice cast. There's already bad blood between Rachael Lillis (original Misty/Jessie) and Michele Knotz (current Jessie), from what I heard years and years ago. Lillis returned to voice one of the characters in a newer season and tried to reprise her role as Jessie as well, it didn't go over well with Knotz. You're gonna have to take my word on this one because I can't find a particular source for it, I read this years and years ago. It must've been on the Bulbapedia forum for the anime but I could be mistaken.

Another thing that I've noticed, for a few years Veronica Taylor (original Ash) had been doing Twitter and social media videos of herself using her Ash voice and the hashtag #OriginalAsh or something like that. Recently Sarah Natochenny began posting on social media with the hashtag #VoiceofAsh - After Ash won the league, Veronica Taylor made a Twitter post/video about it and it went somewhat viral, that's when Natochenny made her own post with "I, the current #voiceofash, can neither confirm nor deny that the latest news coming out about Ash Ketchum is true. You'll have to watch the English version of #pokemontheseries to find out!"... Maybe I'm looking too far into Natochenny's tweet but it seems like she's a little salty over Veronica Taylor's continued presence in the Pokemon community.

I think it is great that Veronica is still so involved with Pokemon after all of these years. You can see how much the time she spent as Ash meant to her. She and all of the 4Kids voice actors were 100% robbed of their roles.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:08 PM   #331

Nov 2018

Quote:
Trust me when I tell you that they won't be using the original dub. That would undoubtedly upset the current voice cast. There's already bad blood between Rachael Lillis (original Misty/Jessie) and Michele Knotz (current Jessie), from what I heard years and years ago. Lillis returned to voice one of the characters in a newer season and tried to reprise her role as Jessie as well, it didn't go over well with Knotz. You're gonna have to take my word on this one because I can't find a particular source for it, I read this years and years ago. It must've been on the Bulbapedia forum for the anime but I could be mistaken.

Another thing that I've noticed, for a few years Veronica Taylor (original Ash) had been doing Twitter and social media videos of herself using her Ash voice and the hashtag #OriginalAsh or something like that. Recently Sarah Natochenny began posting on social media with the hashtag #VoiceofAsh - After Ash won the league, Veronica Taylor made a Twitter post/video about it and it went somewhat viral, that's when Natochenny made her own post with "I, the current #voiceofash, can neither confirm nor deny that the latest news coming out about Ash Ketchum is true. You'll have to watch the English version of #pokemontheseries to find out!"... Maybe I'm looking too far into Natochenny's tweet but it seems like she's a little salty over Veronica Taylor's continued presence in the Pokemon community.

I think it is great that Veronica is still so involved with Pokemon after all of these years. You can see how much the time she spent as Ash meant to her. She and all of the 4Kids voice actors were 100% robbed of their roles.
I can confirm reading about the bad blood between Lillis and Knotz. In fact, there was even tension between Knotz & her boyfriend and Eric Stuart (original Brock/James). It was a pretty heated exchange and likely why we have never seen Stuart return in any capacity.

As for Taylor and Natochenny, it's not as clear. Both women had reason to tweet, and Natochenny likely wanted to clarify herself as current Ash to avoid questions from people who may not have watched Season 9 onwards. I'm just happy to see both of them celebrating the news with the fans rather than be silent.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #332
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

Interesting, I wasn't aware there had been drama with Eric Stuart too. Do you know specifically what it was over? Or was it as simple as being recast?
Old 11-07-2019, 10:38 PM   #333

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
I should of stated my source being IMDB which lists November 22nd.
IMDB isn't the most reliable of sources. It should always be taken with a grain of salt. I occasionally contribute to IMDB and fix errors, but often, the moderators don't bother to implement the changes that I have contributed, which is quite frustrating.

Quote:
Lillis returned to voice one of the characters in a newer season and tried to reprise her role as Jessie as well, it didn't go over well with Knotz.
According to IMDB, she returned in 2015 to reprise her role as Jigglypuff (I don't know how accurate this is as IMDB can be edited by anyone), and judging by the fact that she hasn't returned since (assuming that she did in fact return) would indicate that perhaps things ended badly, as you've stated.

Quote:
After Ash won the league, Veronica Taylor made a Twitter post/video about it and it went somewhat viral
I noticed that. I can't imagine it going over too well with the current cast, but it is also telling that the cast were unjustly robbed of their positions, and they all must have really enjoyed their time on the show seeing as they had persisted with the franchise for nearly 10 years at the point of their dismissal.

Quote:
She and all of the 4Kids voice actors were 100% robbed of their roles.
Without question. I too would be absolutely crushed if I was unceremoniously dumped and replaced from a behemoth like Pokémon. I imagine that the pale imitations from the new cast would have only added insult to injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlechateau View Post
It was a pretty heated exchange and likely why we have never seen Stuart return in any capacity.
If they are not going to reprise their original roles, I can't imagine why they would even want to return. It would only reopen old wounds.

Last edited by SillyG; 11-07-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (11-07-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #334
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

I'm curious to see how this one will be handled in the dub...

The new protagonist in the upcoming Pokemon season is non-binary.

https://nintendosoup.com/gou-is-non-...pokemon-anime/

"In a new interview from Japanese anime magazine Animedia, the voice actor for Gou spoke about Gou’s appearance. As some of you suspected, Gou is an androgynous, or non-binary, character."

"Gou’s voice actor said this was done on purpose, as the people behind the anime wanted a character that is neither a boy or a girl."
Old 11-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #335
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

"In a new interview from Japanese anime magazine Animedia, the voice actor for Gou spoke about Gou’s appearance. As some of you suspected, Gou is an androgynous, or non-binary, character."

"Gou’s voice actor said this was done on purpose, as the people behind the anime wanted a character that is neither a boy or a girl."
Old 11-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #336

Jun 2019

Quote:

please don't use nintendoup as they're known for missreporting news for clicks, here is a better link

https://gonintendo.com/stories/34880...n-purpose-says
Old 11-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #337
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

It looks like it may have been completely mistranslated

https://twitter.com/Gozu****er69/sta...77740376182784
https://twitter.com/PedanticRomantc/...15051595751424

"So, specifically, Gou is referred to as a "Chuuseiteki na Bishounen," "chuuseiteki" referring to androgyny, and "Bishounen" obviously being (pretty) boy. So Gou's an androgynous boy"

"I went through the sources and the actor (who they're using as the source) never claimed Gou as nonbinary, just that Gou's designed to be androgynous on purpose"
Thanks given by:
sagadego (11-08-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 12:58 AM   #338
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Is there any online retailer selling the Japanese Blu-ray (Standard) of Pokémon - Movie 20 for about $25-30?

I'm particularly interested in buying for the Remastered Episode 001.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:59 AM   #339
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
Is there any online retailer selling the Japanese Blu-ray (Standard) of Pokémon - Movie 20 for about $25-30?

Last week someone who I follow on Twitter said that it is surprisingly hard to find.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (11-09-2019), sagadego (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 11:04 PM   #340
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2019
Richmond, CA

Apparently, the Japanese version of Mewtwo Strikes Back is getting a single release in Japan on December 18th.

https://www.yesasia.com/global/pokem...0-en/info.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post

According to YesAsia, it's out of print.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime