Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.47

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.06

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.26

Prototype 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The LEGO Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.97
51 min ago
Under The Sea / Deep Sea (Blu-ray)
$16.83

Dino King 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

IMAX: National Parks Adventure 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.76

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 01-13-2020, 07:40 AM   #221

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Underwater, consider Under the Sea and Amazing Ocean 3D films, both with strong 3D throughout. Amazing stuff. And Aquaman 3D for a great conversion, and Sammy Turtle Tales 1 and 2 for strong CGI computer animation 3D underwater. Underwater has tons of potential, provided the view is clear as it was in Aquaman, and not foggy, as in a real ocean, many times.

There are some great underwater 3D filmed movies to see, I agree.
Obviously I was being to General, I did very much enjoy Aquaman and Turtles Tale is the best 3D I have seen to date on Blu ray at home. I’ve also seen a few that have had misty foggy dark scenes as you mention and that’s what I dislike.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:02 AM   #222
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by panman40 View Post
I've always been less than impressed with under water 3D.
Quote:
Turtles Tale is the best 3D I have seen to date on Blu ray at home.
Well that was quite the turnaround lol
Old 01-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #223

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Well that was quite the turnaround lol
Turtles tale is nothing like real under water 3D, it's a computer generated animation, of course it's going to look good!.
Teach me to keep my mouth shut next time
Old 01-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #224
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Turtles tale is nothing like real under water 3D, it's a computer generated animation, of course it's going to look good!.
Teach me to keep my mouth shut next time
Well the Avatar sequels will be all computer generated animation too, so you should have nothing to fear.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #225

Mar 2012

Quote:
Well the Avatar sequels will be all computer generated animation too, so you should have nothing to fear.
Hope so, I'm sure it will be a while yet though !
Old 01-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #226
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Cameron understands 3D like no one else. Expect Cameron's 3D to blow away the world, again.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #227
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

I agree, panman40 was the sceptical one.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #228
Special Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Underwater, consider Under the Sea and Amazing Ocean 3D films, both with strong 3D throughout. Amazing stuff. And Aquaman 3D for a great conversion, and Sammy Turtle Tales 1 and 2 for strong CGI computer animation 3D underwater. Underwater has tons of potential, provided the view is clear as it was in Aquaman, and not foggy, as in a real ocean, many times.

There are some great underwater 3D filmed movies to see, I agree.
Let’s not forget that Avatar 2 is likely to be 99% CGI, so it is much closer to Sammy or Finding Nemo than the IMAX underwater documentaries...and I don’t think you’ll find too many complaints about 3D rendering in the former.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #229

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Cameron understands 3D like no one else. Expect Cameron's 3D to blow away the world, again.
Do most people generally accept this? It's been several years since I watched Avatar, so I need to give it another viewing. The 3D was great - but was it the absolute best?

Ghosts of the Abyss was good, but not the most amazing 3D I've seen in a documentary.

I know Cameron is a major 3D fan, obviously, and he's gone way beyond what most directors do by designing and building his own stereo rigs.

His two post-converted efforts were great (particularly so as they weren't filmed with 3D in mind) and, all in all, the man is an absolute legend.

I place the original Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Titanic and Avatar amongst my favourite films ...but do people think that Avatar is the best use of 3D in a movie ever. Like I say, it's a long time since I've seen it - but I'm not sure that I do.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #230
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegram Sam View Post
Do most people generally accept this? It's been several years since I watched Avatar, so I need to give it another viewing. The 3D was great - but was it the absolute best?

Ghosts of the Abyss was good, but not the most amazing 3D I've seen in a documentary.

I know Cameron is a major 3D fan, obviously, and he's gone way beyond what most directors do by designing and building his own stereo rigs.

His two post-converted efforts were great (particularly so as they weren't filmed with 3D in mind) and, all in all, the man is an absolute legend.

I place the original Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Titanic and Avatar amongst my favourite films ...but do people think that Avatar is the best use of 3D in a movie ever. Like I say, it's a long time since I've seen it - but I'm not sure that I do.
I saw Avatar SEVEN TIMES in IMAX 3D because I was blown away. IMAX in the UK is about £20 ($30). I haven't had a 3D experience quite like it before or since and I include the recent MCU movies which are also incredible.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:21 PM   #231
Special Member

Feb 2011

Some people (not me) were impressed by the 3D of Aquaman. I fully expect Cameron to blow that 3D out of the water (no pun intended).
Thanks given by:
Telegram Sam (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 05:23 PM   #232
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:

It was very good but some of the vintage 3D titles put it to shame (The Bubble, It Came From Outer Space, House Of Wax etc..)

By the way, Aliens and both Terminator films are amongst my absolute faves also.

The only modern films that blew me away 3D wise were ‘The Walk’, ‘Gravity’ and ‘Endgame.’

Last edited by Steedeel; 01-14-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #233

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
It was very good but some of the vintage 3D titles put it to shame (The Bubble, It Came From Outer Space, House Of Wax etc..)

By the way, Aliens and both Terminator films are amongst my absolute faves also.

The only modern films that blew me away 3D wise were ‘The Walk’, ‘Gravity’ and ‘Endgame.’
I absolutely agree! Whilst The Walk is post-converted, I genuinely believe its use of 3D is significantly better than Avatar's. I also love the film and, taking into account both the quality of the film and the quality of the 3D, I reckon it could be my favourite.
It's weird, I've never been remotely concerned on behalf of a film maker regarding their up-coming films, and James Cameron appears to be an ultra resilient kind of guy - but I'm genuinely worried on his behalf about how well Avatar 2 will be received and how well it will do. Personally, it's by far my most eagerly awaited film - but I'm worried the world will shrug...
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #234

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Some people (not me) were impressed by the 3D of Aquaman. I fully expect Cameron to blow that 3D out of the water (no pun intended).
I was some people on that one, thought Aquaman's 3D was great! Hope JC does an even better job, and I'm very optimistic I'll prefer Avatar 2 purely from a film point of view over Aquaman.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #235
Expert Member

Aug 2009
England

Quote:
I absolutely agree! Whilst The Walk is post-converted
The Walk was native 3D wasn’t it?? Did not realise it was post converted. That’s a pretty spectacular conversion and really demonstrates that conversion can be as good as Native if designed for 3D.

Last edited by Rickyrockard; 01-14-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:05 PM   #236
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I absolutely agree! Whilst The Walk is post-converted, I genuinely believe its use of 3D is significantly better than Avatar's. I also love the film and, taking into account both the quality of the film and the quality of the 3D, I reckon it could be my favourite.
It's weird, I've never been remotely concerned on behalf of a film maker regarding their up-coming films, and James Cameron appears to be an ultra resilient kind of guy - but I'm genuinely worried on his behalf about how well Avatar 2 will be received and how well it will do. Personally, it's by far my most eagerly awaited film - but I'm worried the world will shrug...
I really want it to be well received. My love of Aliens, T1&T2 runs very deep, just for that reason alone, I wish him the best.

I think it will be. Disney will have a goldmine on their hands if it does. I’m sure there are huge possibilities for expansion.

Yes, I was awestruck when I watched The Walk. I was surprised the entire film was quite strong, I thought maybe it would be mild until the big event but it was exceptional all the way through.
Thanks given by:
infiniteCR (01-14-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 04:00 AM   #237

Apr 2011
Longueuil

I have a GREAT 3D T.V. the SONY-Z9D it utilizes the 3D active glasses, so I'm very much looking forward to the movie but is AVATAR 2 going to be both 3D glasses and non-3D glasses-(different frame rate)? I am very confused here.
Thanks given by:
BLMN (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 04:59 AM   #238
Blu-ray.com Reviewer

Feb 2009
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas741 View Post
I have a GREAT 3D T.V. the SONY-Z9D it utilizes the 3D active glasses, so I'm very much looking forward to the movie but is AVATAR 2 going to be both 3D glasses and non-3D glasses-(different frame rate)? I am very confused here.
Yes, there will be 3D and non-3D showings (of course). How the HFR scenes will be utilized remains to be seen. Supposedly only the action sequences will have high frame rates.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #239

Feb 2016
Tucson, Arizona

Lukas741 - I have the Sony Z9D as well and I am VERY disappointed in it's 3D performance. Nonstop image ghosting and crosstalk, both with Sony's active glasses and third party actives. I MUCH prefer the superior 3D passive performance of my LG 55" OLED. The Z9D has a very nice and bright 2d image though. If you are getting great performance from your Z9D, consider yourself lucky.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:07 PM   #240
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjibot4 View Post
Lukas741 - I have the Sony Z9D as well and I am VERY disappointed in it's 3D performance. Nonstop image ghosting and crosstalk, both with Sony's active glasses and third party actives. I MUCH prefer the superior 3D passive performance of my LG 55" OLED. The Z9D has a very nice and bright 2d image though. If you are getting great performance from your Z9D, consider yourself lucky.
Only on the 75”inch model you can fix that, if you have the 65” you are s.o.l unfortunately.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies