Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Everything Everywhere All at Once 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
11 hrs ago
Top Gun: Maverick 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
5 hrs ago
The Untouchables 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.98
1 day ago
True Romance 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
1 day ago
Batman 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

True Romance (Blu-ray)
$27.10
15 hrs ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

No Time to Die 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

The Boys: Seasons 1 & 2 Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
The Evil Dead Groovy Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.48

Evil Dead (Blu-ray)
$12.16
1 day ago
The Green Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 12-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #61

Jul 2010
Long Island, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonMcDermott View Post
Following John Dorian's comment that the LG BD300 Blu-ray player has a zoom function......

The only caution is that the manual also states that the zoom may not work with some discs or titles. I'm ordering one today. Wish me luck. Wilson McDermott
How lucky were you? None of my BDs allow my Cambridge BD650 player to do zoom and/or slow motion. That's because the BD Association got most, if not all of the CE industry to install Oracle's BD-Java chip in their BD players. That allows BD authors to lock out zoom, slow mo or any features they please.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:05 PM   #62
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

My old Samsung zooms quite nicely and another Samsung model actually marketed itself to getting rid of those pesky black bars to show movies how they were intended to be seen, but those models are quite old now.
Thanks given by:
Cheese (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 01:19 AM   #63

Jul 2010
Long Island, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
I don't know why some people act like Zoom is the most horrible thing ever. This feature is pretty standard in DVD players. I don't use it to get rid of black bars cause I have no problems with them or a movie's original aspect ratio. But I did use zoom for several other reasons like, maybe get a closer look at an extra in a movie, or a better look at action going on in the background of a scene ( i.e like the numerous Jedi fighting in the background of Episode 2), or maybe read the letters on a newspaper clipping that is in a scene etc etc. It's not always about just trying to get the image to fit the entire screen. So having said all that, I'm still not clear why Blu Ray players are phasing out this feature. The same with the frame advance option. Practically none of them have it. They should be adding more features that DVD players don't have instead of not including all of the ones that they do.
Precisely why I so badly miss the advanced zoom in my JVC XV-NA70BK DVD player that my Oppo 95 and all Oppos BD players omit. My Oppo does up to 2x zoom, but my Cambridge 650BD BD player (died due to lack of replacement parts) did 4x and the JVC does 64x zoom. AND the JVC allows you to “center” any part of the zoomed image on the screen. I’ve yet to find any of today’s BD players, regardless of price, that can do what this $114. DVD player from 2004 can.Even its remote is the most ergonomically perfect I’ve ever used. The worst thing of all is that NONE of the leading BD player brands ever replied favorably to my feedback on this point, when they replied at all. And the two leading brands don't even accept consumer feedback.

Last edited by chane; 05-26-2020 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #64
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

Quote:
Originally Posted by chane View Post
Precisely why I so badly miss the advanced zoom in my JVC XV-NA70BK DVD player that my Oppo 95 and all Oppos BD players omit. My Oppo does up to 2x zoom, but my Cambridge 650BD BD player (died due to lack of replacement parts) did 4x and the JVC does 64x zoom. AND the JVC allows you to “center” any part of the zoomed image on the screen. I’ve yet to find any of today’s BD players, regardless of price, that can do what this $114. DVD player from 2004 can.Even its remote is the most ergonomically perfect I’ve ever used. The worst thing of all is that NONE of the leading BD player brands ever replied favorably to my feedback on this point, when they replied at all. And the two leading brands don't even accept consumer feedback.
I know its not really the same, but the higher end LG tvs can zoom in on any part of the screen from any source by pointing the remote at it. I've done it a few times to read what's on a screen in the background, newspaper, etc.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders