Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
17 hrs ago
Space Jam 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
Tremors (Blu-ray)
$28.10
21 hrs ago
Parks and Recreation: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$74.99
16 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

RahXephon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99
1 day ago
Men of Honor (Blu-ray)
$3.99
16 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$51.50
21 hrs ago
Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$73.43

Saw 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
23 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 03-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida
Default Just look at all the physical media goodness!

I spent the past week reorganizing the 11 Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400-disc Blu-ray changers in my home office. Thought I'd share the end result. I originally purchased 6 of the changers housing them in a Salamander A/V stand. The switch gear I installed in the stand supported up to 8 changers. Years later I added 2 more just sitting them on top of the stand.

Eventually I added a couple more placing them on top of the AV stand on the other side of the room which holds the rest of my gear. (To the right of those are my 6 Sony DVP-CX985V 400-disc DVD changers.)

Within the past year or two I purchased another one which I setup below my Panasonic plasma located just to the left of the gear in the prior picture. There was just enough room under the glass shelf though the shelf could have been moved higher if needed.

That being said, I plan on purchasing a 12th changer this year. Decided it was about time to consolidate all my changers moving Changers 9-11 over to my Salamader stand. This would require additional switch gear, but actually less in the way of programming with respects to my remote control system as I'd no longer be duplicating the Blu-ray changer control, all the Blu-ray changers instead being controlled by the same remote extender and set of switch gear. In any event, below is the end result. Hope you enjoy checking it out.

Changers moved off the A/V stand holding the rest of my gear...

(This corner of the room looks much better now. Looked strange at first after moving the Blu-ray changers. Hung a couple pictures I had laying around which filled the empty wall space nicely I think.)

The BIG reveal, 11 Sony 400-disc Blu-ray changers stacked 6 foot high...

(Storage capacity of 4,400 discs, soon to be 4,800 discs once adding Changer 12, all while taking up only 45" x 25" of floor space.)

Changers powered on, doors to Salamander stand open...

(I programmed my remote so that all the changers can be powered on/off at once if I want. When powering off my system the power off command is sent to all the changers. Any changers that happen to be powered on are powered off as a result. When powering on my system a normal button press of the "System On" option doesn't include powering on the changers. An extended button press does, an audio cue playing to let you know you've held the button down long enough, just over 1 second. I don't power all the changers on at once that often. It can come in handy when testing though. It's also just fun sometimes to watch all 18 of the Sony changers light up at once.)

The man behind the curtain, adventures in cable management...

(One of these days I'll get all my gear properly rack mounted. For now this more than gets the job done. The Salamander stand is solid as a rock and still quite easy to move out from the wall believe it or not.)

A closer look at the changer connectivity and other gear...

(For each changer I'm running Power, HDMI, RS232 and IR. Using Serial to RJ45 adapters for the serial connectivity. Not connecting any of the changers to my network. Don't allow the changers to connect to the Internet anyway. I also never implemented IP control of the changers. More than satisfied with the RS232 control. Also, the IR routers are mounted to the center column between Changers 1-6. The two are cable tied together, the second one hanging below the first one. If you look closely in the picture above you can just see the top portion of the first one.)

Serial router for Changers 1-4...

(Using clamps to suspend the serial routers. Good use of space. The routers offer 4 RS422 ports and 4 RS232 ports. Sending RS232 via the RS422 ports requires a RS422 to RS232 converter, the converter needing it's own power supply. To cut down on the number of power supplies I decided to only run RS232 to the changers via the RS232 outputs. I'm daisy chaining from router to router that way I can use the same set of RS232 commands for all the Blu-ray changers. Running RS422 Output 4 from the first router to a RS422 to RS232 converter, then from there to the RS232 input of the second router, rinse and repeat to the third router. Are we having fun yet!)

Serial routers for Changers 5-8 and 9-12, and the second HDMI switch...

(Used cable ties to sandwich my second and third serial routers together, then suspending them with a couple clamps. Sitting on top of the second HDMI switch are the RS422 to RS232 converters used to daisy chain the routers, one to daisy chain from router 1 to 2 and another to daisy chain from router 2 to 3. As for the HDMI switches, Changers 1-8 are connected to the HDMI switch sitting on top of the Monster PowerCenter, the front portion of the shelf. Running the output of that switch to Input 1 of the second HDMI switch, then on from there to my home theater receiver, Changers 9-12 connected to the second HDMI switch. No sync issues. It's working beautifully.)

Changer 11 used to prewire for Changer 12...

(Moved Changer 11 over to Changer 12's spot temporarily, ran the Power, HDMI, RS232 and IR, tested then disconnecting the cables tying them off and moving Changer 11 back in to position. Will take all of 60 seconds now to install Changer 12 once I purchase it. Won't even have to move the Salamader stand out from the wall. Gotta love it!)

Last edited by AmishParadise; 03-08-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Thanks given by:
MarcelS1 (09-05-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 09:41 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Well, that didn't take long. Purchased a 12th changer from an AVSForum member yesterday. Picked it up today. Easiest installation ever. Should be good to go for a couple years at least. Even more if I move my DVD's back over to my DVD changers. Physical media for the win!

Last edited by AmishParadise; 03-04-2020 at 11:02 PM.
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (05-10-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 07:43 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida

I updated my Sony Blu-ray changer setup last night. Really pleased with the end result. Thought I'd share. Purchased a 20 port serial switch which has replaced all the switch gear I was using prior. (Well, minus the HDMI switches of course.) Far more breathing room in the back of the cabinet now after pulling out the 2 IR routers, 3 RS-232 routers, 2 RS422 to RS232 converters in addition to the 7 power supplies I was using to power all of that. It's a beautiful thing! Eye candy provided below.

Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (05-10-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 08:14 PM   #44
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
Illinois

It’s quite an impressive setup with all the disc changers. I used to have one for CDs a couple decades ago. Never felt the need for one for movies though. What are you going to do for 4K discs?
Old 05-08-2020, 08:21 PM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodChester View Post
Itís quite an impressive setup with all the disc changers. I used to have one for CDs a couple decades ago. Never felt the need for one for movies though. What are you going to do for 4K discs?
Thanks. And yeah, I havenít gone 4K yet. When I do I suppose Iíll add a single disc player to the mix. :-p
Old 05-29-2020, 08:42 PM   #46

Apr 2009
Laguna Niguel, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
Thanks. And yeah, I havenít gone 4K yet. When I do I suppose Iíll add a single disc player to the mix. :-p

Very impressive setup. Can you give details on the software end to control these disc changers?

I moved from Boston to Los Angeles area. I have few thousand discs. I am considering options for reducing their foot print. I know people will say rip them to hard drives but for my library I would need several hundred TBs and no media player which would play it in source direct into my video processors. I looked into Kaleidescape which is probably the best but their 320 disc changers are like $6500 each. Considering I would need like 10 of those....

Looks like Control4 used to have the ability to use 4x Sony 7000ES changers and merge titles in one library. What do you use to track your movies? Do you keep a spreadsheet to see which disc is in which changer?
Old 05-30-2020, 03:52 AM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance View Post
Very impressive setup. Can you give details on the software end to control these disc changers?

I moved from Boston to Los Angeles area. I have few thousand discs. I am considering options for reducing their foot print. I know people will say rip them to hard drives but for my library I would need several hundred TBs and no media player which would play it in source direct into my video processors. I looked into Kaleidescape which is probably the best but their 320 disc changers are like $6500 each. Considering I would need like 10 of those....

Looks like Control4 used to have the ability to use 4x Sony 7000ES changers and merge titles in one library. What do you use to track your movies? Do you keep a spreadsheet to see which disc is in which changer?
Thanks for the kind words and yes, I'd be happy to provide you details on the software side of things. See below.

So yes, I do keep an excel sheet. The excel sheet calls out the Collection ID (A), Changer Number (B), Slot Number (C), Title (D), Media Type (E), Audio Tracks (E), MyMovies Child Backdrop GUID (F), MyMovies Parent Backdrop GUID (G) and so forth for each disc. Currently I have 15 Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400-disc Blu-ray Players (and 6 Sony DVP-CX985V 400-disc DVD Players) integrated into my setup. (See here and here.) The Collection ID breakdown is shown below.

Collection ID's for my Blu-ray changers...
BD01 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 0001-0400
BD02 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 0401-0800
BD03 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 0801-1200
BD04 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 1201-1600
BD05 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 1601-2000
BD06 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 2001-2400
BD07 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 2401-2800
BD08 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 2801-3200
BD09 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 3201-3600
BD10 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 3601-4000
BD11 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 4001-4400
BD12 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 4401-4800
BD13 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 4801-5200
BD14 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 5201-5600
BD15 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 5601-6000

And here is a portion of the excel sheet I keep....

(GREY=Backup on BD-R. | PINK=iTunes download authored to Blu-ray. | YELLOW=Retail disc.)

Once a given disc is added to the excel sheet I then fully catalog the disc in DVD Profiler and My Movies, those applications calling out the disc location as well. Both offer a PC based application in addition to mobile apps, My Movies also supporting Windows Media Center. I catalog my collection in My Movies solely for the ability to browse my collection up on the big screen whether it be from my 50" Pioneer Plasma or Runco DLP Front Projector and 150" screen. Should also note that My Movies for Windows Media Center does support powering on the given changer, then starting playback of the selected disc. I don't utilize that feature though. Well, I do enter the disc location details in My Movies. I do so in a couple ways, but only so that information is visible within My Movies for Windows Media Center. See below.

My Movies v4.07 (Collection Management)

As seen from My Movies for Windows Media Center...

TITLE SELECTION

PARENT & CHILD PROFILES

PARENT PROFILE (Details)

PARENT PROFILE (Play)

DVD Profiler for PC is the primary application I use to catalog and browse my collection. Have been using the application since the early years of the DVD format. When cataloging my collection I create a profile for a given title as a whole. If the given title only includes one disc it's considered a disc level profile and gets assigned a Collection ID. Only disc level profiles are assigned a Collection ID. If a given title includes more than one disc it's not assigned a Collection ID. Individual profiles for each disc are created instead, each of those profiles being assigned a Collection ID. Every profile calls out the disc details that are applicable however. As for the mobile app, I use DVD Profiler for iOS to browse my collection only. At most I will mark a given item as watched from the mobile app, then syncing the change back to DVD Profiler for PC. I also host my own DVD Profiler based website which mirrors my local DVD Profiler database. Eye candy provided below.

DVD Profiler Version 4.0.0 Build 1762

My DVD Profiler based website...

DVD Profiler for iOS (Title Selection)

DVD Profiler for iOS (Discs)

With one's collection cataloged it's just a matter of taking note of the disc location once finding something to watch. From there you can get as basic or as fancy as you want when going to power on the given changer, then selecting the disc to play. Once powering on the given changer you could select the disc using the controls on the face of the changer itself, browse the Sony XMB interface (sorted by Slot Number) selecting the disc that way or send the changer the appropriate command via RS-232 or IP instead. (The Sony BDP-CX960 does not support RS-232/IP control.)

For general control of my 7000ES changers I used to use IR. I was only using RS-232 for direct disc selection. Now I'm using RS-232 exclusively. The remote control I use is a Philips Pronto Professional TSU9600. I use it in conjunction with Philips RFX9600 extenders. The TSU9600 communicates with the RFX9600's over my wireless network. The RFX9600's are hard-wired. The RFX9600's in turn have 4 IR, 4 Relay, 4 Power Sensing and 4 RS-232 ports and pass the given commands they receive from the remote along to the connected equipment. A PC based application called ProntoEdit Professional (PEP v1.1.20) is used to program the remote where you design the GUI and logic behind it from the ground up using a combination of WYSIWYG and ProntoScript (based off Javascript).

That being said, when programming the remote I created an activity called "BD Changers" which is used to select which changer activity I'd like to go to. The activity also provides for pre-selecting the disc I'd like to play if I want. If I choose not to pre-select the disc I can still select a given disc once reaching the particular changer activity. Below are some screenshots showing what the progression looks like.

The "Activities" page...

(To select an activity you can press the on-screen button or highlight the activity using the Cursor Keys, then pressing "OK". To deselect an item press the on-screen Clear button or Home hard button.)

The "BD Changers" activity...

(To select an activity you can press the on-screen button or highlight the activity using the Scroll Wheel or Cursor Keys, then pressing "OK". And in case anyone was wondering, the on-screen Menu button calls out the last changer activity that was in use. When pressing the button or the Menu hard button the changer activity being called out is highlighted. I use this feature all the time as I routinely go back and resume watching something. This is especially the case as I'm working my way through a TV series on Blu-ray.)

Pre-selecting a disc by Collection ID...

(Pressing the on-screen D.Sel button or Guide hard button while no changer activity is highlighted takes you to the "Direct Disc Selection" page shown above, disc selection being done by Collection ID. Additional Note: The last changer activity in use determines whether you're pre-selecting a Collection ID across my Blu-ray changers or DVD changers. Performing an extended button press of the Activity button in the upper left corner of the screen or the Power hard button provides for toggling between the two, the Activity label and background image updating accordingly. Should also note that I have a separate DVD Profiler database and website for the contents of my DVD changers, my DVD changers being used to store the DVD's I've upgraded to Blu-ray. Any DVD's I have yet to upgrade to Blu-ray are housed in my Blu-ray changers.)

Entering the Collection ID...

(Entering the Collection ID can be done using the on-screen keypad, Firm Keys, Scroll Wheel and Cursor Keys [Left: -25, Right: +25, Up: -1, Down: +1]. When entering the Collection ID the Activity label in the upper left corner of the screen does the math calling out the Changer and Slot Number the Collection ID represents.)

Pre-selecting a disc by Changer and Slot Number...

(Step 1: Highlight the changer activity in question. This is done using the Scroll Wheel and/or Cursor Keys. To deselect an item press the on-screen Clear button or Home hard button.)

(Step 2: With the changer activity highlighted press the on-screen D.Sel button or Guide hard button. This takes you to the "Direct Disc Selection" page shown above, disc selection being done by Slot Number.)

Entering the Slot Number...

(Entering the Slot Number can be done using the on-screen keypad, Firm Keys, Scroll Wheel and Cursor Keys.)

Going to the changer activity...

(Once highlighting the given changer activity and/or pre-selecting the disc you then press the "OK" hard button or on-screen "Enter" button. The activity macro is then executed for the changer in question. Loading pages are displayed as the activity macro runs, the activity macro ensuring all required components are powered on and configured as needed. Additional Note: Performing an extended button press instead will force the "full" activity macro to run for the given changer activity as if the system were completely powered down even if it wasn't, the power state tracking that normally determines how the given activity macro runs being ignored, a fail-safe basically. I offer the same option for each of the activites available on the "Activities" page including once reaching a given activity. It rarely happens, but if I find once reaching an activity that something isn't powered on that needs to be, performing an extended button press of the Activity button in the upper left corner of the screen or Power hard button will force the "full" activity macro to run as if I had just performed the same action from the "Activities" page.)

Arriving at the changer activity...

(If you had pre-selected a disc that will also be the case once reaching the changer activity as shown above. Pressing the "OK" hard button will send the "Direct Disc Selection" command to the changer telling it to the play the disc residing in the given changer slot. An audible cue is played from the remote confirming the command has been sent to the changer.)

Now Playing...

(Once sending the "Direct Disc Selection" command the header at the top of the page will update as shown above, the "Direct Disc Selection" option at the bottom of the page becoming deselected. Important Note: The changer will not accept a given "Direct Disc Selection" command if it's still powering on not having reached the Sony XMB interface yet. If the command had been sent too early it can be sent again via the "Direct Disc Selection (1-400)" option which can also be enabled by performing an extended press of the "OK" hard button.)

And one last little nugget regarding the changer activities...
Not only do I have the remote remember the last changer activity that was in use, I also have the remote remember the last disc that was played in each of the changers (in addition to whether a given changer is powered on or off). When going to a given changer activity the header of the page will always reflect the last disc that was played. (If a disc had been pre-selected that's what you'd see of course. Deselecting the "Direct Disc Selection" option at that point would reveal the last disc that was played.) The values the remote is storing in this regard can be viewed at any time by accessing the "System Status" page shown below.

(The above page can be accessed at anytime by pressing a hidden button located in the top right corner of every page. The page displays the power status of my system as a whole, the power states of key components, the last disc played in each changer, the last changer activity in use, the currently selected zone and display, and options for the Volume Widget, XM Radio and DVD Juke activites. Pressing a given value will change it's state accordingly if needed. Rarely to do I need to access this page, but it's a nice option to have.)

Last edited by AmishParadise; 05-08-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Thanks given by:
MarcelS1 (09-05-2020), UnionJackMix (07-04-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #48

Apr 2009
Laguna Niguel, CA

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words and yes, I'd be happy to provide you details on the software side of things. See below.

So yes, I do keep an excel sheet. The excel sheet calls out the Collection ID (A), Slot Number (B), Title (C), Media Type (D), Audio Tracks (E) and so forth for each disc. Currently I have 13 Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400-disc Blu-ray Players (and 6 Sony DVP-CX985V 400-disc DVD Players) integrated into my setup. (See here and here.) The Collection ID breakdown is shown below.

Collection ID's for my Blu-ray changers...
BD01 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 0001-0400
BD02 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 0401-0800
BD03 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 0801-1200
BD04 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 1201-1600
BD05 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 1601-2000
BD06 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 2001-2400
BD07 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 2401-2800
BD08 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 2801-3200
BD09 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 3201-3600
BD10 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 3601-4000
BD11 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 4001-4400
BD12 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 4401-4800
BD13 Slots 1-400 -> Collection ID's 4801-5200

And here is a portion of the excel sheet I keep....

(GREY=Backup on BD-R. | PINK=iTunes download authored to Blu-ray. | YELLOW=Retail disc.)

Once a given disc is added to the excel sheet I then fully catalog the disc in DVD Profiler and My Movies, those applications calling out the disc location as well. Both offer a PC based application in addition to mobile apps, My Movies also supporting Windows Media Center. I catalog my collection in My Movies solely for the ability to browse my collection up on the big screen whether it be from my 50" Panasonic Plasma or Runco Front Projector and 150" screen. Should also note that My Movies for Windows Media Center does support powering on the given changer, then starting playback of the selected disc. I don't utilize that feature though. Well, I do enter the disc location details in My Movies, but only so that information is visible within My Movies for Windows Media Center. See below.

My Movies v4.07 (Collection Management)

As seen from My Movies for Windows Media Center...

TITLE SELECTION

PARENT & CHILD PROFILES

PARENT PROFILE (Details)

PARENT PROFILE (Play)

DVD Profiler for PC is the primary application I use to catalog and browse my collection. Have been using the application since the early years of the DVD format. When cataloging my collection I create a profile for a given title as a whole. If the given title only includes one disc it's considered a disc level profile and gets assigned a Collection ID. Only disc level profiles are assigned a Collection ID. If a given title includes more than one disc it's not assigned a Collection ID. Individual profiles for each disc are created instead, each of those profiles being assigned a Collection ID. Every profile calls out the disc details that are applicable however. As for the mobile app, I use DVD Profiler for iOS to browse my collection only. At most I will mark a given item as watched from the mobile app, then syncing the change back to DVD Profiler for PC. I also host my own DVD Profiler based website which mirrors my local DVD Profiler database. Eye candy provided below.

DVD Profiler Version 4.0.0 Build 1762

My DVD Profiler based website...

DVD Profiler for iOS (Title Selection)

DVD Profiler for iOS (Discs)

With one's collection cataloged it's just a matter of taking note of the disc location once finding something to watch. From there you can get as basic or as fancy as you want when going to power on the given changer, then selecting the disc to play. Once powering on the given changer you could select the disc using the controls on the face of the changer itself, browse the Sony XMB interface (sorted by Slot Number) selecting the disc that way or send the changer the appropriate command via RS-232 or IP instead. (The Sony BDP-CX960 does not support RS-232/IP control.)

For general control of my 7000ES changers I used to use IR. I was only using RS-232 for direct disc selection. Now I'm using RS-232 exclusively. The remote control I use is a Philips Pronto Professional TSU9600. I use it in conjunction with Philips RFX9600 extenders. The TSU9600 communicates with the RFX9600's over my wireless network. The RFX9600's are hard-wired. The RFX9600's in turn have 4 IR, 4 Relay, 4 Power Sensing and 4 RS-232 ports and pass the given commands they receive from the remote along to the connected equipment. A PC based application called ProntoEdit Professional (PEP v1.1.20) is used to program the remote where you design the GUI and logic behind it from the ground up using a combination of WYSIWYG and ProntoScript (based off Javascript).

That being said, when programming the remote I created an activity called "BD Changers" which is used to select which changer activity I'd like to go to. The activity also provides for pre-selecting the disc I'd like to play if I want. If I choose not to pre-select the disc I can still select a given disc once reaching the particular changer activity. Below are some screenshots showing what the progression looks like.

The "Activities" page...

(To select an activity you can press the on-screen button or highlight the activity using the Cursor Keys, then pressing "OK". To deselect an item press the on-screen Clear button or Home hard button.)

The "BD Changers" activity...

(To select an activity you can press the on-screen button or highlight the activity using the Scroll Wheel or Cursor Keys, then pressing "OK". And in case anyone was wondering, the on-screen Menu button calls out the last changer activity that was in use. When pressing the button or the Menu hard button the changer activity being called out is highlighted. I use this feature all the time as I routinely go back and resume watching something. This is especially the case as I'm working my way through a TV series on Blu-ray.)

Pre-selecting a disc by Collection ID...

(Pressing the on-screen D.Sel button or Guide hard button while no changer activity is highlighted takes you to the "Direct Disc Selection" page shown above, disc selection being done by Collection ID. Additional Note: The last changer activity in use determines whether you're pre-selecting a Collection ID across my Blu-ray changers or DVD changers. Performing an extended button press of the Activity button in the upper left corner of the screen or the Power hard button provides for toggling between the two, the Activity label and background image updating accordingly. Should also note that I have a separate DVD Profiler database and website for the contents of my DVD changers, my DVD changers being used to store the DVD's I've upgraded to Blu-ray. Any DVD's I have yet to upgrade to Blu-ray are housed in my Blu-ray changers.)

Entering the Collection ID...

(Entering the Collection ID can be done using the on-screen keypad, Scroll Wheel, Cursor Keys and Firm Keys. When entering the Collection ID the Activity label in the upper left corner of the screen does the math calling out the Changer and Slot Number the Collection ID represents.)

Pre-selecting a disc by Changer and Slot Number...

(Step 1: Highlight the changer activity in question. This is done using the Scroll Wheel and/or Cursor Keys. To deselect an item press the on-screen Clear button or Home hard button.)

(Step 2: With the changer activity highlighted press the on-screen D.Sel button or Guide hard button. This takes you to the "Direct Disc Selection" page shown above, disc selection being done by Slot Number.)

Entering the Slot Number...

(Entering the Slot Number can be done using the on-screen keypad, Scroll Wheel, Cursor Keys and Firm Keys.)

Going to the changer activity...

(Once highlighting the given changer activity and/or pre-selecting the disc you then press the "OK" hard button or on-screen "Enter" button. The activity macro is then executed for the changer in question. Loading pages are displayed as the activity macro runs, the activity macro ensuring all required components are powered on and configured as needed. Additional Note: Performing an extended button press instead will force the "full" activity macro to run for the given changer activity as if the system were completely powered down even if it wasn't, the power state tracking that normally determines how the given activity macro runs being ignored, a fail-safe basically. I offer the same option for each of the activites available on the "Activities" page including once reaching a given activity. It rarely happens, but if I find once reaching an activity that something isn't powered on that needs to be, performing an extended button press of the Activity button in the upper left corner of the screen or Power hard button will force the "full" activity macro to run as if I had just performed the same action from the "Activities" page.)

Arriving at the changer activity...

(If you had pre-selected a disc that will also be the case once reaching the changer activity as shown above. Performing an extended press of the "OK" hard button will send the "Direct Disc Selection" command to the changer telling it to the play the disc residing in the given changer slot. An audible cue is played from the remote confirming the button had been held down long enough, the required duration being just over 1 second.)

Now Playing...

(Once sending the "Direct Disc Selection" command the header at the top of the page will update as shown above, the "Direct Disc Selection" option at the bottom of the page becoming deselected. Important Note: The changer will not accept a given "Direct Disc Selection" command if it's still powering on not having reached the Sony XMB interface yet. If the command had been sent too early it can be sent again by pressing the "Direct Disc Selection (1-400)" button at the bottom of the page, then performing another extended press of the "OK" hard button.)

And one last little nugget regarding the changer activities...
Not only do I have the remote remember the last changer activity that was in use, I also have the remote remember the last disc that was played in each of the changers (in addition to whether a given changer is powered on or off). When going to a given changer activity the header of the page will always reflect the last disc that was played. (If a disc had been pre-selected that's what you'd see of course. Deselecting the "Direct Disc Selection" option at that point would reveal the last disc that was played.) The values the remote is storing in this regard can be viewed at any time by accessing the "System Status" page shown below.

(The above page can be accessed at anytime by pressing a hidden button located in the top right corner of every page. The page displays the power status of my system as a whole, the power states of key components, the last disc played in each changer, the last changer activity in use, the currently selected zone, and options for the Volume Widget, XM Radio and DVD Juke activites. Pressing a given value will change it's state accordingly if needed. Rarely to do I need to access this page, but it's a nice option to have.)
Very impressive indeed. I wish someone made an escient type box still. Can you get Dolby Atmos and DTS X from the 7000ES?
Old 06-10-2020, 10:01 PM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Very impressive indeed. I wish someone made an escient type box still. Can you get Dolby Atmos and DTS X from the 7000ES?
Thanks. I have fun with it. And yeah, it would be great if the Escient piece were still available for those looking for a turnkey solution. From what I hear, Sony's decision to discontinue the Blu-ray changers actually had something to do with their partnership with Escient at the time. As for Dolby Atmos and DTS X support, not sure. My home theater recevier doesn't support those formats. I'd have to think Dolby Atmos would work though. Sony's Blu-ray changers are capable of bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD. Any Blu-ray player that can do so should also be able to bitstream Dolby Atmos, the receiver in turn handling the decoding.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:57 PM   #50

Apr 2009
Laguna Niguel, CA

Quote:
Thanks. I have fun with it. And yeah, it would be great if the Escient piece were still available for those looking for a turnkey solution. From what I hear, Sony's decision to discontinue the Blu-ray changers actually had something to do with their partnership with Escient at the time. As for Dolby Atmos and DTS X support, not sure. My home theater recevier doesn't support those formats. I'd have to think Dolby Atmos would work though. Sony's Blu-ray changers are capable of bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD. Any Blu-ray player that can do so should also be able to bitstream Dolby Atmos, the receiver in turn handling the decoding.
Yeah they left us in the mercy of Kaleidescape which is so expensive. I was working at best buy / magnolia back then, we failed to sell a single 7000ES or even the cheaper version. Then 3D came and these were discontinued. We will never see a disc changer again.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:58 PM   #51
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Yeah they left us in the mercy of Kaleidescape which is so expensive. I was working at best buy / magnolia back then, we failed to sell a single 7000ES or even the cheaper version. Then 3D came and these were discontinued. We will never see a disc changer again.
The changers being discontinued was a blessing in disguise for me. I would never have been able to afford the 7000ES otherwise. Well, not as many of them. I purchased 6 of them from my local Sony Style store when they were on closeout for $400 each. Paid $600 on average for the 9 additional ones I've added to my setup since. Still plenty of used stock available online as well and you don't have to pay crazy money for one if you're patient.

As for turnkey solutions, I've never been particularly interested in them, price aside. The KISS (...keep it simple stupid) method works far better with respects to owning multiple changers if you ask me. Cataloging one's collection (including the disc locations) in something like DVD Profiler or My Movies provides a multitude of benefits, irrespective of whether one owns a changer or not. It's then just a matter of how simple or fancy one decides to get when going to initiate playback of a given disc.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 10-25-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida
Default My latest upgrade. Eat your heart out OLED. :-P

Well, I finally retired old faithful. Upgraded the 720p Panasonic plasma in my home office earlier this week. It's now sitting in the back of my bedroom closet.

So what replaced the Panny, well another 720p plasma of course! Purchased my first Pioneer plasma, a mint PDP-5080HD which I scored for $60 per the below.

It's been sitting on my piano bench for the past few days. Jumped on Craigslist yesterday purchasing the below TV stand for $70. Was never crazy about the TV stand I was using with the Panny. Will probably list it on Craigslist. Figure I can probably get a few bucks for it.

Truth be told, I've been more than satisfied with my 2006 Panny. If it weren't for the fact it doesn't accept 1080p signals I probably never would have upgraded. The 2007 Pioneer accepts all flavors of 1080p and sports those Kuro blacks of course. The speakers are even decent. Color me impressed. And the icing on the cake, the serial port. Love me some serial control. Downloaded a copy of the service manual which includes all the serial commands. Well, most of them. The ones not included in the service manual I found elsewhere. Love having discretes for everything.

Not a bad upgrade if I do say so myself, $130 for the display and stand. I've been longing for 1080p support in my home office (Zone 2) for some time now as everything out in the living room (Zone 1) runs at 1080p. It's been a pain off and on with the Panny only supporting signals up to 1080i. I had to set all my sources to auto-detect the supported resolution to accomodate and some things I had to just set to run at 1080i all the time. Things like my Apple TV 4K for instance would switch to 720p for the Panny (Zone 2), but not always switch back to 1080p for my Runco (Zone 1) front projector. I also have a dedicated HTPC that runs My Movies for Windows Media Center 24/7.

I'd been limiting my use of My Movies for Windows Media Center to Zone 1 (1080p) as Windows Media Center would often go to a black screen when I'd try to then bring it up in Zone 2 (1080i). I'd then have to grab my wireless keyboard and fight with Windows shutting down and restarting Windows Media Center. Total PITA. Those days are behind me now as are the days when I had to set the HDMI output of my Onkyo receiver based on the zone I'm in. Gotta love it! Prior I was sending the discrete for the Main or Sub HDMI output based on the zone my remote was set to control. Pretty sweet being able to output to the Main and Sub HDMI outputs at the same time now, since both displays support 1080p signals.

In any event, just thought I'd share my latest adventure. Plan to tackle my living room next. Will finally be running the speaker cables for my front stage through the attic to my screen wall located at the other end of the house. Currently the speaker cables are just running through the house along the baseboards. Will also be improving my screen wall in addition to painting my living room. Plan to paint the ceiling black and the side walls a shade somewhere between milk chocolate and dark chocolate. The fun never ends!

Last edited by AmishParadise; 07-04-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:20 PM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014

I'm really impressed. This is like what I've always wanted to do with my collection, sort of, but never got around past step 1.
May I ask, how long do you think it took you to develop and put in place all this, even though you mentioned you started cataloging your dvds from their early days?
Like, do you have a job and this is all done in your spare time?
I'm actually asking because it seems a MONUMENTAL job. I hope you patted yourself on the back for this.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:51 AM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJackMix View Post
I'm really impressed. This is like what I've always wanted to do with my collection, sort of, but never got around past step 1.
May I ask, how long do you think it took you to develop and put in place all this, even though you mentioned you started cataloging your dvds from their early days?
Like, do you have a job and this is all done in your spare time?
I'm actually asking because it seems a MONUMENTAL job. I hope you patted yourself on the back for this.
Appreciate the kind words. I actually made several efforts in the past to get into this line of work. It never came to be. Guess I didn't want it bad enough. I continue to enjoy geeking out at home in my spare time though. Just a hobby of mine. My setup is pretty basic really when you break it down, the remote control system aside which is what I enjoy messing around with the most. Love my Pronto based remote control system and especailly love the fact I'm in control of the user experience in both form and function. Have never cared for turnkey solutions. Love to roll my own.
Thanks given by:
UnionJackMix (07-05-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 01:37 AM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida
Default The fun never ends!

I just finished a fun project I thought I'd share with everyone. I've been intending for a while now to expand my Salamander Synergy cabinet so that it can accomodate 15 Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400-disc Blu-ray Players. Below I had 6 changers in the cabinet and 6 stacked on top with another 3 I purchased for future expansion.

Salamander Synergy cabinets are modular so the plan was to convert my Twin 40 to a Triple 40 extending the width, then adding a Twin 40 on top extending the height. In order to do this I needed a Triple 40 top and bottom, 8 additional 40" posts, 9 additional shelves, 2 additional side panels, 3 additional doors with perforated steel inserts, 6 threaded rods for extending the height with a Twin 40 extension, the required door and shelf hardware, and 2 additional Saturn wheels.

Considering the weight involved I decided to not stick with the Saturn wheels. The Saturn wheels don't turn very well, especially on carpet and weren't intended to carry the amount of weight I was already subjecting them to. As such, I purchased 8 Synergy heavy duty casters from Salamader which are rated to handle far more weight. Had I not done so I would have been completely screwed. I doubt I would ever have been able to move the cabinet around with the added weight after extending the width and height and adding 3 additional changers.

I must say, I was extremely impressed with the heavy duty casters. They were much larger than I anticipated and would provide for easily moving the cabinet out from the wall if needed. Note the Saturn wheels to the left in the below image as compared to the heavy duty casters I was installing on the Triple 40 bottom. The Saturn wheels consist of a single fixed threaded screw which secures into the bottom of each post. The heavy duty casters are secured with 2 to 3 additional screws in addition to the screw that goes up into the bottom of each post.

While not exactly rocket science it was still a pain installing the casters as I needed to be sure they were lined up perfectly per the hole position used to secure the posts. It was time well spent though. You can't go wrong by starting off with a strong foundation and the heavy duty casters certainly accomplished that.

The heavy duty casters were on backorder for a month or so. I had everything else I needed for a couple months, most of which I acquired from Craigslist and EBay at pennies on the dollar. Had to acquire the heavy duty casters from a Salamander dealer. Was a happy camper when the casters finally arrived. Stage 1 complete. Heavy duty casters installed!

With the heavy duty casters installed it was off to the races. The next step was taking the 12 changers off my Twin 40. To avoid having to run all the cables again I decided to just remove the changers leaving the cabling, shelves and hardware on the top shelf in place. Prior to removing the changers I cable tied the HDMI, serial and power cables going to each changer in key places allowing for disconnecting everything, then easily being able to reconnect everything, no labeling of the cables required. Once disconnecting everything I tucked the cable runs in the back of the top shelves.

With the changers removed I then had a second person help me lift the cabinet up setting it on top of a couple boxes, the boxes my HDMI switches came in. With the Saturn wheels off the ground I was then able to remove them. Once removing the Saturn wheels I grabbed a couple straps tightening them down around the cabinet to keep it together as we lifted the cabinet up off the Twin 40 bottom sitting the cabinet on the Triple 40 bottom instead. From there I threaded the 8 screws up into the bottom of each post adding 2 posts to the far right side in the process, removed the Twin 40 top panel, removed the right side panel shifting it over a spot, added the additional door and shelf hardware and shelves to the right side, set the Triple 40 panel on top securing the far right side, added the 6 posts for the Twin 40 extension using the threaded rods, then placing 9 changers on the shelves of the Triple 40 in addition to a Sony BDP-S5000ES on the far right top shelf. The Sony BDP-S5000ES is identical to the Sony BDP-CX7000ES, it just doesn't include the changer portion. Are we having fun yet!

The next item on the menu was adding side panels to the Twin 40 extension. The side panels are lowered down from the top, each side of the panel riding down the grooves of the posts. Here's where things got interesting. I knew I wouldn't have the clearance required to slide the side panels in from the top. Directly across from my home office is my bedroom though. Just inside my bedroom door is access to the attic. With the attic access open I'd have enough clearance to slide the panel in from the top. I'd then turn the cabinet around positioning the other end of the cabinet below the attic access. You get the picture. Well as it turned out the heavy duty casters were twice as tall as the Saturn wheels I was using prior. As a result, the Twin 40 extension made the cabinet too tall preventing me from getting the cabinet out of my home office.

My first thought was cutting the width of each panel down a 1/2 inch which would provide for installing the panel without having to drop it in from the top, i.e. inserting the panel completely into the groove of one post from the side, the other side of the panel just clearing the other post, then moving the panel out of the groove of the one post half way, the other side lined up and going into the groove of the other post. So that was the plan initially until I had an even better idea. With the Twin 40 top not installed yet I could actually create additional separation between the posts, enough to pop the panel in on both sides. This was only the case for the top half of the posts though and unfortunately I didn't have enough vertical clearance, the bottom of the panel still well within the bottom half of each post. My solution, rotate each post about 10 degrees in opposite directions of one another in turn increasing the width between the grooves of each post. I was then able to position the panel up towards the ceiling lined up with the grooves of the posts and alternating from one post to the other rotating each back into position, the panel popping into the grooves of the posts along the way. Gotta love it!

I spent about 30 minutes on the right side panel before I ultimately figured out how I was going to go about getting it installed. Took me all of 2 minutes to get the left panel installed. So easy. I felt like MacGyver! Where there's a will there's a way.

Woohoo! Things were really starting to come together. With the side panels installed it was time to drop the door and shelf hardware down the posts and secure the Twin 40 top. I then went ahead and made all the connections for the 6 changers on the bottom left side. The 3 changers on the far right side are for future expansion. It's going to be 18-24 months before I need to use one of them, so I didn't bother running the cables. I didn't hook up the Sony BDP-S5000ES either as I have a second one of those installed on the other side of the room. Figured I might as well use the shelf for something.

With the door and shelf hardware in place I installed the shelves, grabbed my level adjusting the shelf hardware as needed, placed the remaining changers on the shelves of the Twin 40 extension, then ensuring all the changers were positioned consistently and with enough clearance when it comes time to install the doors.

Making my way to the back of the cabinet I then made the connections for the top 6 changers. All that was left to do at that point was to position the cabinet against the wall after first connecting the HDMI and Ethernet run coming from the other side of the room in addition to plugging the Monster PowerCenters into my commercial grade Lutron surge suppressor receptacle.

Absolutely loving the heavy duty casters. It was so easy to move the cabinet against the wall getting it positioned just right. Before taking a victory lap I grabbed my trusty Pronto remote and confirmed that everything was hooked up correctly and working without issue. Only have a couple items left to knock out. Tomorrow I plan to take the 2 doors from my original Twin 40 and check to ensure the door hardware is positioned properly for the far right side and the Twin 40 extension. I took extra time with the door hardware so the placement should be spot on. The 3 used doors I purchased weren't black so they'll need to be painted. Going to get that done next week. Fun, fun, fun!

Last edited by AmishParadise; 10-25-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Thanks given by:
num1cboysfn (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #56

Jan 2018
Michigan

That is sweet . wonder full job
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (10-25-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 04:22 PM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida
Default Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Almost there. Installed the doors temporarily confirming the door hardware was positioned correctly. Well, the top 2 doors are good to go now. Just need to paint the bottom 3 doors black. Purchased them used. Spent $50 less on the 3 used doors as I would have spent on 1 brand new door. Before and after images provided below.

Before:

After:
Thanks given by:
num1cboysfn (10-30-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 01:43 PM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida
Default Salamander Synergy upgrade completed.

Finally got around to spray painting the used doors I had bought. Ended up only needing one coat.

And here's what they look like installed. (See prior post for a look at the doors before they were painted.)

Doors opened:

Doors closed:

Feels great to finally get this project knocked out. Physical media for the win baby!
Thanks given by:
silvusvalentine (03-03-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries