Best PS5 Games Deals

Best PS5 Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (PS5)
$29.99
15 hrs ago
Warhammer Chaosbane (PS5)
$39.99

NBA 2K21 (PS5)
$49.99

Watch Dogs: Legion (PS5)
$24.99

Control (PS5)
$39.99

Fifa 21 (PS5)
$59.94

Godfall (PS5)
$41.61

Override 2 (PS5)
$29.99

Hitman 3 (PS5)
$49.94

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5)
$69.00

Ratchet & Clank (PS5)
$69.88

The Nioh Collection (PS5)
$69.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

Old 12-26-2020, 01:41 AM   #21

Dec 2015
London
Send a message via Skype™ to Verisimilitude1984

Looks promising, certainly keeping an eye on it.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:03 AM   #22
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

That trailer where she's in the dark shooting at glowing monster ghost-like enemies reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy: Spirits Within the CGI Movie.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:03 PM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Thanks given by:
Diesel (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #24
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

The main hero of Returnal has a very short, formal looking hairstyle and she appears to be in her mid 40s, which is interesting that they're going against most expectations in that sense. Normally most video games try to make a female lead younger and generally more attractive like Lara Croft in Tomb Raider or Tifa from Final Fantasy, as it's less common for an older woman to be the hero. Just an observation that makes this game unique.

As far as the enemies, Final Fantasy Spirits Within might be Returnal's visual inspiration?
Old 01-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #25
Special Member

Jul 2017
The Redwoods

New blog post with details about the game https://blog.playstation.com/2021/01...d-risky-buffs/
Old 01-13-2021, 03:14 PM   #26
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHobbs View Post
New blog post with details about the game https://blog.playstation.com/2021/01...d-risky-buffs/
Thanks given by:
ZHobbs (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 03:51 PM   #27
Special Member

Jul 2017
The Redwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorD View Post
Trailer looks fun & it seems challenging! Im getting Bloodborne & Souls vibes from it. The blog talks about restarting the day if you die.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:08 PM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

I don't know what to make of this, it looks like an arcade shooter dressed up as a third person action game. One to keep an eye on.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:58 PM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Trailer looks fun & it seems challenging! Im getting Bloodborne & Souls vibes from it. The blog talks about restarting the day if you die.
By allís counts itís a roguelike aka Hades or Dead Cells and many others. Die and start over at the beginning, probably wonít some slow progression or leveling up to make future runs a tad easier.

Iíve gotten super sick of that genre (was never the biggest fan) so Iíll likely skip this, maybe check it out way down the road if it hits PS+.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:22 PM   #30
Special Member

Jul 2017
The Redwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
By allís counts itís a roguelike aka Hades or Dead Cells and many others. Die and start over at the beginning, probably wonít some slow progression or leveling up to make future runs a tad easier.

Iíve gotten super sick of that genre (was never the biggest fan) so Iíll likely skip this, maybe check it out way down the road if it hits PS+.
Gotcha, I've never heard of "roguelike" so I will have to look it up to understand how it plays!
Old 01-13-2021, 05:37 PM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Gotcha, I've never heard of "roguelike" so I will have to look it up to understand how it plays!
Put in simplest terms, it's a type of game where you play through the same set of randomly generated levels trying to get through them all and beat a final boss. Die at any point, and you start over at the first level.

Some like Binding of Issac you start completely from scratch each time and just unlock new items that can drop on future runs. Others like Hades you unlock some weapons or other items, level up your character etc. slowly so that future runs become easier.

I've gotten to accepting I just don't like them as I get bored quickly of replaying the same levels (even with randomized layouts and enemies) over and over. Especially once it gets to a point that the early levels are easy and becomes tedious to play through them again just to get another shot at whatever level/boss I died on.
Thanks given by:
KilloWertz (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 11:04 PM   #32
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Put in simplest terms, it's a type of game where you play through the same set of randomly generated levels trying to get through them all and beat a final boss. Die at any point, and you start over at the first level.

Some like Binding of Issac you start completely from scratch each time and just unlock new items that can drop on future runs. Others like Hades you unlock some weapons or other items, level up your character etc. slowly so that future runs become easier.

I've gotten to accepting I just don't like them as I get bored quickly of replaying the same levels (even with randomized layouts and enemies) over and over. Especially once it gets to a point that the early levels are easy and becomes tedious to play through them again just to get another shot at whatever level/boss I died on.
I could be wrong, or mixing things up with Deathloop, but I'm guessing you would not start completely from scratch here (with your character at least) since you're supposed to continuously uncover the story slowly.

I never really knew what his genre was as I've never played any games in it that I know of. Not quite as excited about it now as I was before, as I'm not keen on having to start all the way at the beginning again. The game might not be terribly long, which would make it better at least. Deathloop at least is different (and technically not rougelike I imagine), as you only start back at the beginning of that particular hit/mission.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:16 PM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
I could be wrong, or mixing things up with Deathloop, but I'm guessing you would not start completely from scratch here (with your character at least) since you're supposed to continuously uncover the story slowly.
Yeah I think this will be more like Hades or Dead Cells in terms of being a roguelike/lite with some progression both in terms of story being revealed in bits as you die and having some items, abilities, leveling up to make future runs gradually easier.

That's way better to me than the hardcore ones where you start 100% from scratch every run, but the genre just isn't for me as someone that despises replaying the same/similarly levels. I just prefer linear games were I progress steadily through new content/areas, see the ending/credits and move on and never touch it again.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:23 PM   #34
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Quote:
Kind of like a video game version of Groundhog Day or Edge of Tomorrow
Old 01-14-2021, 12:03 AM   #35
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Hades was one of the best games released all last year. I hope Returnal is even a fraction as good.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:13 AM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2017

I can't wait for this game. Housemarque is one of my favorite developers.

I basically just get Vanquish x Risk of Rain 2 x Remnant of the Ashes vibes from it, which is all right up my alley.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:55 AM   #37
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Yeah I think this will be more like Hades or Dead Cells in terms of being a roguelike/lite with some progression both in terms of story being revealed in bits as you die and having some items, abilities, leveling up to make future runs gradually easier.

That's way better to me than the hardcore ones where you start 100% from scratch every run, but the genre just isn't for me as someone that despises replaying the same/similarly levels. I just prefer linear games were I progress steadily through new content/areas, see the ending/credits and move on and never touch it again.
As do I, but I still might give this a chance at some point. I may no longer get this right away like I had planned though, especially with March having Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Kena, and the PS5 version of Yakuza: Like a Dragon all coming out.

I'd honestly rather play all of those than this now, but I do hope this turns out to be another home run exclusive for them and then I'll give it a shot later.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:05 AM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
As do I, but I still might give this a chance at some point. I may no longer get this right away like I had planned though, especially with March having Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Kena, and the PS5 version of Yakuza: Like a Dragon all coming out.

I'd honestly rather play all of those than this now, but I do hope this turns out to be another home run exclusive for them and then I'll give it a shot later.
Yeah, I need to finish Luigi’s Mansion 3, have got a bunch of stuff I want to play on Gamepass, borrowed Red Dead Redemption from a friend (loved RDR2, never played the first and from what I’ve seen it looks great on XSX as it got a boost for the BC version for X1X) etc. so I probably won’t buy many games the next few months. Kena is the one I’ve mostly got my eyes on, partly just to have a reason to use my PS5, assuming I don’t get back into Demon’s Souls. Going to give that a couple more tries before selling it off.

I love the Mass Effect Trilogy as well, some of my all time favorite games—especially 2. Just not feeling a replay right now. Other than RDR, whenever I get around to it, probably going to play some shorter games for a while. Finished up Cyberpunk a bit ago, will probably jump into Tell Me Why next (well along with finishing Luigi’s Mansion 3) and then some stuff like the Gears 5 Hivebusters DLC, Night in the Woods, Streets fo Rage 4 etc. that I want to check out. Also want to get started on replaying the Halo campaigns before Infinite it out later this year. I’ll probably grab the ME trilogy in sale later on.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 01-16-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:10 AM   #39

Jan 2021

I was way into this when originally shown, but the more I see the more the world looks bland and repetitive. I hope this is only a small small portion of the world variety.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:57 PM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Time will tell go course, but repetition is the name of the game in roguelikes and they also don’t tend to have a ton of world variety. Not an objective flaw or anything, just something about that genre that doesn’t bother fans but is off putting to others.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5