Best PS5 Games Deals

Best PS5 Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
NBA 2K21 (PS5)
$39.99

Control (PS5)
$29.83

Marvel's Avengers (PS5)
$24.99

Destruction AllStars (PS5)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Monster Truck Championship (PS5)
$25.83

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 (PS5)
$41.88

Balan Wonderworld (PS5)
$39.64

NBA 2K21 (PS5)
$79.99

The Pathless (PS5)
$36.99

Godfall (PS5)
$57.78

Ride 4 (PS5)
$33.99

Spirit of the North Enhanced Edition (PS5)
$28.60

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

Old 01-30-2021, 02:09 PM   #161
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Yeah that’s what I was getting at. Decent amount of textures are blurry up close, and you’re up close a lot in an FPS game like this with a limited FOV and a lot of narrow corridors. RE7 was the same (worse though being last gen and developed firstly for PSVR meant the textures weren’t great). As TecmoZack notes, it’s probably just that the RE engine they use isn’t great looking to me.

Again, it still looks mostly good overall, especially in more open areas like the open first floor of the mansion and the lighting was very good. Just not something that clicks with me given the blurrier textures up close and part of it is just art style preferences. Horror games always have bland and dreary color palates to set the mood and even if the graphics are technically impressive that hurts the look to me as I prefer more colorful games. Something like Horizon Zero Dawn or Ghost of Tsushima with amazing use of colors in the landscape wows me way more than something dark and dreary like TLOU2 even if the later is way more technically impressive.

REVIII is a game I wait a while on as I’m pretty meh on the series at this point. I got 7 cheap on CD Keys not long after launch, but this I’ll probably wait longer as it hit $20-30 pretty often within a year and ended up on PS+, Gamepass etc. So just not the kind of game I’m going to buy with my new mindset of using things like Gamepass, PS+, Epic freebies as much as possible and only spending money on true must plays. Things I think will be personal game of the year contenders for me. RE games have never been that for me, so it can wait.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:53 PM   #162
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Yeah, at this point with PS5 being next gen, it's surprising textures are even a topic of concern over them being pixelated or blurry, but there it is at times. Unrefined and flawed textures. I was hoping PS5 could easily handle stuff like that for sharp, high res textures. It could boil down to the developer having to cross port the game to other consoles, which isn't a good excuse IMO.

Even so, overall I still feel the textures are generally decent, but definitely not amazing or super detailed. Days Gone I feel has better textures and that's an open world game.

I've also had a limited time playing RE games. RE2 was completed from start to finish on PS1, but I only played the demos of the other 1, 3 and 4 games and thought they were neat, but I didn't like the limited exploration from one spot to another with a fixed camera until RE4. RE5 I disliked a lot thanks to the incredibly clunky controls set in the opening slum village. I was surprised that Capcom still couldn't fine tune the controls at that point, with terrible aiming that could only fire when you stopped moving last time I checked. Agents that can only fire their weapon when they stop moving. And in a zombie game of all games. Unbelievable.

RE6, heard it was an arcade action game, and then RE7 I jumped back in thanks to the VR and it's an intense game in first person view in VR. Creepy as hell so big points for that.

If this new one is also in VR for PSVR on PS4, I'd buy that version over the PS5 version.

Last edited by Zivouhr; 01-30-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:55 PM   #163
Expert Member

Sep 2016

I’m sure you’ll still have the odd dodgy textures in the best of games even on better PC settings. For this demo I was more into it because of the creepiness, lighting, contrast, the atmosphere, etc.

I just think people may need to temper expectations in terms of the resolution this will run at. I reckon to keep 60fps like on other games this’ll probably be 1440p up to 4K.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:00 PM   #164
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2009
Germany

I never cared for graphics in these games. It's all about atmosphere, music, environments, The constant sense of dread, lurking fear behind every corner, every door. The puzzles and backtracking. This is why I still have tons of fun replaying the old PS1 classics.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:01 PM   #165
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

As far as atmosphere, this was interesting but not too creepy after the first escape of the cells. That area was creepy and effective. Once I got into the mansion, it was very nicely decorated and although dimly lit, was a warm place with a fire place already set. The voices I heard in the game weren't scary, and it almost sounded like a lady was nearby speaking.

I felt the RE7 demo in the house was really creepy in contrast, so maybe they'll offer that in the next demo.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:52 PM   #166
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Yeah this one wasn’t scary, and the game will probably be RE4 level of ‘horror’

The RE7 zero hour (or whatever it was called) was scarier
Old 01-31-2021, 09:41 PM   #167
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talal86 View Post
Yeah this one wasn’t scary, and the game will probably be RE4 level of ‘horror’

The RE7 zero hour (or whatever it was called) was scarier
I think perhaps the feedback and gameplay metrics made them redesign things a little bit to be more open but retain some of the RE7 atmosphere but make it more action too i guess in line with the new RE2 and RE3 remakes.

Rumour is that RE4 will be getting a remake.
Thanks given by:
TecmoZack (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 12:59 PM   #168

Apr 2019
Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to TecmoZack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
I think perhaps the feedback and gameplay metrics made them redesign things a little bit to be more open but retain some of the RE7 atmosphere but make it more action too i guess in line with the new RE2 and RE3 remakes.

Rumour is that RE4 will be getting a remake.
Yeah. Great time to be a RE fan. I am a huge fan of the remakes. Interested to see what they do with 4. Looks like the remake for 4 is delayed a bit.

https://www.nme.com/en_asia/news/gam...ent%20Evil%204.

Village is my most anticipated game this year and has been since the reveal last year. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Demo is super cool.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:22 PM   #169
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008

Does RE 7 run at 60fps on PS5?
Old 02-01-2021, 07:00 PM   #170
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Smith View Post
Does RE 7 run at 60fps on PS5?
Yes (on the ps4 too btw)
Thanks given by:
Todd Smith (02-01-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 09:12 PM   #171
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2009
Germany

Old 02-05-2021, 01:51 AM   #172
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

There seems to be some hype over the women characters in RE8, but I seriously don't see what all the fuss is about. I rather have Claire or Jill back in the game.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:08 PM   #173
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
There seems to be some hype over the women characters in RE8, but I seriously don't see what all the fuss is about. I rather have Claire or Jill back in the game.
Yeah I don’t get it, but maybe because I haven’t seen that part in action

I wonder if she’ll follow you around like Jack and Mr X, this is what made the RE villain go viral since 7, as the randomness make for good gif/short videos that people share on twitter
Old 02-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #174
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talal86 View Post
Yeah I don’t get it, but maybe because I haven’t seen that part in action

I wonder if she’ll follow you around like Jack and Mr X, this is what made the RE villain go viral since 7, as the randomness make for good gif/short videos that people share on twitter
Thanks Talal. Sorry to hear your demo kept crashing to where you couldn't complete it. If you were wondering, I'll put the ending as a spoiler:
[Show spoiler]A tall woman with sharp claws appears at the end of the demo as you finally get the doors open to go outdoors, and she stabs the player in the face, ending the demo and the player.

Thanks given by:
Talal86 (02-05-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 01:05 AM   #175
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
I hear what you're saying. It's tense, nerve-wracking gameplay being at such a disadvantage with no sense of lasting power in the game.
I mean maybe everyones different I don't feel any tense feelings knowing the game is designed to get me through the experience as long as I get the path / timing down. Because theres no real risk to me same as the boss

at least if the boss/ enemies had to take damage it would come down from me utilizing my aim, ammo, strategy etc. whereas with RE7 and Aliens its just repetition to get the correct path
Old 02-06-2021, 01:12 AM   #176
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
I mean maybe everyones different I don't feel any tense feelings knowing the game is designed to get me through the experience as long as I get the path / timing down. Because theres no real risk to me same as the boss

at least if the boss/ enemies had to take damage it would come down from me utilizing my aim, ammo, strategy etc. whereas with RE7 and Aliens its just repetition to get the correct path
Yeah, that's why I hate that mechanic. It's not tension, it's that I hate trial and error crap and having to die to figure out the path.

Just not something I like doing these days. I mostly like games where it's clear what your supposed to do and challenge comes from pulling it off, not that require trial and error to aimlessly die until you learn the right path or whatever.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:25 AM   #177

Jan 2020
My Man Cave, Illinois

A few nights ago, I saw a video on YouTube showing the Village demo and I am now looking forward to this game. I may have to play this game in parts, because if the game is anything like the demo, I get motion sickness and dizzy. It sucks!

Anyway, the demo's atmosphere is very creepy, especially the dungeon where you see people that died in some pretty messy ways. In the demo, I ready myself just incase if there was a jump scare, which there wasn't any. I did like the castle atmosphere because it looks so sinister and not so innocent looking. The women in the game drink blood out of a cup you examine in the main hallway. There was the sounds of creepy women speaking to you as if they're trying to keep you away and you meet one surrounded by bats and the one with a white hat that ends the demo by killing you with a claw.

I figure since this weekend it's suppose to be like -15F outside and I can't do anything outside, I'll spend some time downloading the demo and give it my own try.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:51 PM   #178
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:

The tension for me is trying to walk along a hallway to reach my next goal and everything looks fine, and then that lunatic father from RE7 bursts through the darn wall that was solid and grabs the player in stereo 3D with full PSVR immersion surrounding everywhere you turn in the game world, and you have to fight him off as he's chopping at you with barely any health left for the player.

It's annoying but tense because I'm just trying to reach that door of safety to rest for a few minutes to gain my sense of direction and the next step, and that relentless, indestructible boss keeps interfering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yeah, that's why I hate that mechanic. It's not tension, it's that I hate trial and error crap and having to die to figure out the path.

Just not something I like doing these days. I mostly like games where it's clear what your supposed to do and challenge comes from pulling it off, not that require trial and error to aimlessly die until you learn the right path or whatever.
That sounds like Evil Within's Laura level. That was frustrating as all hell with tons of trial and error trying to find the darn switches to stop the fires, and then trying to figure out how to stop her as she claws at you from behind every second. Total literal nightmare and I had to tackle it in small 15 minute bursts before I finally figured it out after 10 attempts with no clues.

Frustrating, but also very tense in terms of horror, being weak against a very strong, evil enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentEvil7200 View Post
A few nights ago, I saw a video on YouTube showing the Village demo and I am now looking forward to this game. I may have to play this game in parts, because if the game is anything like the demo, I get motion sickness and dizzy. It sucks!

Anyway, the demo's atmosphere is very creepy, especially the dungeon where you see people that died in some pretty messy ways. In the demo, I ready myself just incase if there was a jump scare, which there wasn't any. I did like the castle atmosphere because it looks so sinister and not so innocent looking. The women in the game drink blood out of a cup you examine in the main hallway. There was the sounds of creepy women speaking to you as if they're trying to keep you away and you meet one surrounded by bats and the one with a white hat that ends the demo by killing you with a claw.

I figure since this weekend it's suppose to be like -15F outside and I can't do anything outside, I'll spend some time downloading the demo and give it my own try.
Sounds like you have a good sense of the demo before even playing it, to prepare yourself. It's not a difficult demo, but it is interesting. Enjoy.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:40 PM   #179
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
The tension for me is trying to walk along a hallway to reach my next goal and everything looks fine, and then that lunatic father from RE7 bursts through the darn wall that was solid and grabs the player in stereo 3D with full PSVR immersion surrounding everywhere you turn in the game world, and you have to fight him off as he's chopping at you with barely any health left for the player.
Oh no I def get that feeling and the spooky and properly timed shock value to make you jump but like for instance comparison to Dead Space you'd go into a room armed to the teeth and still not sure if you could handle it that to me was more tense and satisfying then say like your example you walk down the hallway one time the Dad pop scares you and then you realize I need to do xyz to get through it lol but that you were never in any real danger as a player or that you had to do anything other than rinse repeat
Old 02-07-2021, 06:11 PM   #180
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Oh no I def get that feeling and the spooky and properly timed shock value to make you jump but like for instance comparison to Dead Space you'd go into a room armed to the teeth and still not sure if you could handle it that to me was more tense and satisfying then say like your example you walk down the hallway one time the Dad pop scares you and then you realize I need to do xyz to get through it lol but that you were never in any real danger as a player or that you had to do anything other than rinse repeat
I think I understand what you're saying now. In other words, Dead Space was more random danger that required improvised skills to survive, while RE7 was more scripted with a clear solution to solve it and not random.

In that sense, yeah, I rather have more random danger in a horror game.

In the game PT demo, any time I hear the music change and some kind of dread music building up, I stop moving if I'm stuck in the hallway somewhere. If you move, the tall ghost woman will destroy the player and game over, no way to defeat her. Knowing how to avoid her made the game less horrific. PT's puzzles are the absolute worst kind of puzzles IMO. All cryptic, abstract puzzles that have few clear cut, logical clues. A lot of it is trial and error trying to read the mind of the developer.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5