Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Evil Dead Groovy Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$51.10
4 hrs ago
The Green Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.95
22 hrs ago
Batman 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Killing 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.52
1 day ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.49
1 day ago
No Time to Die 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Edge of Tomorrow 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

The Northman 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Wild Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Halloween Kills 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

The Beatles: Get Back (Blu-ray)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 07-03-2021, 04:13 AM   #1

Nov 2019
Default Blu-ray Rental Questions

I've been trying to find other DVD/Blu-ray/4K rental services. Here are the ones I found:
---Netflix: DVD + Blu-ray, Mainstream to Obscure, No edition distinction
---3D Blu-ray Rental: Blu-ray + 3D BD + 4K BD, Mainstream to not-so-mainstream, Edition distinction
---Scarecrow Video: DVD + Blu-ray + 4K BD, Mainstream to not-so-mainstream, Edition distinction
---4K Blu-ray 4U: 4K BD
---rent 4K: 4K BD
---the Local Library
---GameFly: Blu-ray + 4K BD, Newer movies
---Redbox: Blu-ray + 4K BD, Newer movies
---FamilyVideo: RIP?

Last edited by Streetlight; 11-25-2021 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Added Scarecrow Video
Old 07-03-2021, 05:15 AM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2009

I believe Scarecrow Video now rents by mail - at least within the US.
Thanks given by:
Streetlight (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 05:45 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009
San Francisco Bay Area

Check your local library. I'm a Librarian and where I work, we have a vast BD collection.
Thanks given by:
bigdaddyhorse (07-04-2021), critterdvd (07-03-2021), dvining (07-04-2021), Jar Jar Stinks (07-07-2021), Mister_Kidd (07-03-2021), Streetlight (07-03-2021), TwinCitiesBluFan (07-07-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2019
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakihara View Post
Check your local library. I'm a Librarian and where I work, we have a vast BD collection.
Iíll second this, my library has 1000ís of titles and can get stuff from other libraries too. The library system as a whole has tons and tons of stuff even obscure and OOP titles. And itís free.
Thanks given by:
dvining (07-04-2021), TwinCitiesBluFan (07-07-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #5
Special Member

Feb 2020
Somewhere in Canada

Lucky you guys. My local library branch doesn’t even do Blu-rays. It’s DVD or GTFO
Old 07-03-2021, 07:02 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009
San Francisco Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Kidd View Post
I’ll second this, my library has 1000’s of titles and can get stuff from other libraries too. The library system as a whole has tons and tons of stuff even obscure and OOP titles. And it’s free.
Yeah we also have interlibrary loan services from other libraries. As for our collection, we have cult stuff like A Serbian Film down to all the blockbusters. I play a hand in the process but there must be other librarians out there who go nuts with orders for their libraries!

Last edited by Kakihara; 07-03-2021 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:34 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Definitely check any local libraries for dvd and blu. They may have new releases, plenty of catalog titles, and possibly Criterion. And they are free.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:46 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2019
WNYX - 585 AM

I haven't rented a Blu-ray since 2011, when I would get discs in the mail from Netflix. The discs would come with deep scratches most of the time so I cancelled the service. How does one even scratch a Blu-ray? I mean, you would really have to go out of your way.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:49 PM   #9
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H. View Post
I haven't rented a Blu-ray since 2011, when I would get discs in the mail from Netflix. The discs would come with deep scratches most of the time so I cancelled the service. How does one even scratch a Blu-ray? I mean, you would really have to go out of your way.
I have been renting blu-rays from Netflix since they started offering them. I've never had one that was too scratched to play perfectly well. I've only had problems with DVDs
Old 07-03-2021, 07:57 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Quote:
Agreed. I've purchased several used blus where even lighter scratches can cause complete chapters to skip. It seems to be more common now with blu more mainstream than in the earlier days when many of the people were a/v enthusiasts and likely more careful with discs . You'd have to really manhandle a blu to get deep scratches.

Last edited by meremortal; 07-04-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (07-03-2021)
Old 07-04-2021, 02:28 AM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Found out about the library having movies back in the dvd days, been a valued source ever since. Thankfully the one here also has a large collection of blu-rays including many OOP titles. Sad thing is I often see their discs in pawn shops, but not the rare ones which they still have. Thevies are stupid.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:21 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009
San Francisco Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Found out about the library having movies back in the dvd days, been a valued source ever since. Thankfully the one here also has a large collection of blu-rays including many OOP titles. Sad thing is I often see their discs in pawn shops, but not the rare ones which they still have. Thevies are stupid.
Donít worry, if you see library copies in pawn shops, they were either copies we removed from circulation or the customer will be sent to collections and mess up their credit score if they stole from us. Responsible libraries have sensors at the exit gates to prevent theft. It hasnít been an issue where I work.
Old 07-04-2021, 05:47 AM   #13

Nov 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBonnet View Post
I believe Scarecrow Video now rents by mail - at least within the US.
Is there any way to see what movies they have and in what format and edition?
Old 07-04-2021, 07:49 AM   #14
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetlight View Post
Is there any way to see what movies they have and in what format and edition?
Scarecrow Video boasts a 130,000-title library that includes many imports, so if it was ever released in an existing format, there's a good chance they may have it.

For more info on their RBM program go to http://blog.scarecrow.com/scarecrow-rent-by-mail/

They converted to a non-profit a few years back and they can probably use your support!
Old 07-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #15

Nov 2019

Quote:
Scarecrow Video boasts a 130,000-title library that includes many imports, so if it was ever released in an existing format, there's a good chance they may have it.

For more info on their RBM program go to http://blog.scarecrow.com/scarecrow-rent-by-mail/

They converted to a non-profit a few years back and they can probably use your support!
So, they don't show what movies they have?
Old 07-04-2021, 03:27 PM   #16
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetlight View Post
So, they don't show what movies they have?
I believe they have an online catalog but not sure where on the website it is, failing that, you can call or email and they'll be happy to help.
Old 07-04-2021, 04:40 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2020

Quote:
I still rent from Netflix and only receive unplayable or glitchy discs once in a while. Maybe one out of twenty-four. Sometimes more. It's too bad they don't make replacements free slots anymore.
Thanks given by:
Michael24 (07-07-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 11:49 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Gun View Post
I still rent from Netflix and only receive unplayable or glitchy discs once in a while. Maybe one out of twenty-four. Sometimes more. It's too bad they don't make replacements free slots anymore.
But sometimes I'm just really unlucky.

The THIRD time I need to have Under the Skin sent to me. I'm gonna call customer service and ask for a free slot this time, like they used to do automatically when this happened.

Edit: Cool, they told me I'm getting the free slot, so four discs this time.

Edit: Either the first customer service rep whose call disconnected finished what I asked her to or the second rep was extra nice. I haven't seen five discs in my At Home list in years!

Last edited by Warm Gun; 07-07-2021 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:09 AM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Donít worry, if you see library copies in pawn shops, they were either copies we removed from circulation or the customer will be sent to collections and mess up their credit score if they stole from us. Responsible libraries have sensors at the exit gates to prevent theft. It hasnít been an issue where I work.
Hope that is the case. I fear it's not customers but straight up thieves taking them. I remember chatting with one guy working there who told a story about catching a dude with garbage bag full of discs one time. Either way I haven't ever seen the library announce any sales of discs or books. For blu-ray they color copy the cover onto a dvd size insert for a dvd case with the library info on the bottom below the print. My OCD wouldn't allow that in my collection, no matter how rare a title.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #20

Nov 2019

Quote:
I believe they have an online catalog but not sure where on the website it is, failing that, you can call or email and they'll be happy to help.
So I found the search option which let me see if movie is there or not and show Blu-ray and rent in their search filters.

https://www.scarecrow.com/45/search.html

Also, I have questions in my signature.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America