Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Columbia Classics Collection: Volume 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$106.46

The Karate Kid Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.95

Underworld: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Best Picture Essentials (Blu-ray)
$26.99

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (Blu-ray)
$8.99
7 hrs ago
Candyman 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.64
4 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Midnight (Blu-ray)
$25.15
9 hrs ago
Reminiscence 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.49
22 hrs ago
The Haunting of Hill House (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Free Guy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Jack Ryan: 5-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$35.87

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 02-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada
Default Victoria (2015) - March 1, 2016

Quote:
This film is not a movie; it's not about a bank robbery. It is a bank robbery. "Victoria" was shot in one single take. Two hours and eighteen minutes. No cuts. No CGI. No cheap tricks. No expensive ones, either. Just one shot. Victoria, a young woman from Madrid, meets for local Berliners outside a nightclub. Sonne and his friends promise to show her a good time and the real side of the city. But these lads have gotten themselves into hot water: they owe someone a dangerous favor that requires repaying that evening. As Victoria's flirtation with Sonne deepens into something more, he convinces her to come along for the ride. And later, when things become more ominous and possibly lethally dangerous for Sonne, she insists on coming along. As the night takes on an ever more menacing character, what started out as a good time quickly spirals out of control. As dawn approaches, Victoria and Sonne address the inevitable; it's all or nothing and they abandon themselves to a heart-stopping race into the depths of hell.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
Power Member

Feb 2011
Tempe, AZ

The review for this title is now up, and all I can say is that I couldn't disagree more about the assessment of the movie -- everyone has their opinion, but for me Victoria is one of 2015's finest films. For anyone interested, below is the review I wrote for the film on Letterboxd:

Quote:
"Every year it seems there are at least one or two films -- or more if I'm lucky -- that wind up completely shattering my expectations, seizing whatever excess capacity exists in my brain and leaving behind just enough cognitive ability to function well enough that I don't drool on myself or walk out in front of a bus as I cross the street to get back to my car. This year, the first film to really do that for me was Victoria, a fantastic cinematic experience I expected to be pretentious and gimmicky but wound up completely blown away by.

I saw Victoria on a Monday night after a long day of work a couple weeks ago, and as fate would have it I was the only person in the auditorium that night, save for a theater employee who came to walk the aisle and check on me twice during the film. It was the first time I can ever remember being the only patron in a theater, and if there is a movie to be seen in total isolation Victoria just might be the one. Freed from the distractions of a packed theater and unable to turn my attention elsewhere, I was immediately gripped, devoting every ounce of my being to this film over the course of two-plus hours, and I think that really helped set the tone for my experience with it.

I've been curious about Victoria for a while now, primarily because of one particular fact about the film that has made the rounds on the internet multiple times over since it premiered at the Berlin International Film Festival in February: the entire film, which clocks in at about 138 minutes, was shot in a single take during the wee hours of the morning on April 17, 2014. No cuts, no deceptive camera tricks, just one very long take that follows the film's main characters for more than two hours as they navigate the streets of Berlin and come to grips with the harrowing, tense situation they've been thrust into.

It would be easy to applaud that level of commitment and dedication and write the film off as little more than an experiment, but while the film's avant-garde nature pulled me into the theater, the story and the characters are what kept the film in my mind long after I first saw it. Suffice to say, I walked out of Victoria extremely impressed, in large part because of Laia Costa's performance as the titular Victoria, which is equal parts Audrey Tautou in Amelie and Julie Delpy in Richard Linklater's Before trilogy. If that sounds like undeserved hyperbole, I encourage you to see it for yourself, because Costa's performance is hands down one of the best in any film this year.

Victoria starts out as a walk-and-talk picture and slowly evolves into something much more urgent, and that juxtaposition of two very different storytelling styles really won me over. The cinematography and the conceit of the entire film are interesting in their own rights, but Victoria is a far better film than I ever expected it to be, as director Sebastian Schipper adds a bevy of artistic flourishes to the film's palette that heighten the immediacy of some of the film's more mundane moments.

Of anything else I've seen in recent years Schipper's film most reminds me of Layover, a 2014 film from writer-director Joshua Caldwell that I went into with similarly tempered expectations, but walked away praising unequivocally. As far as genre is concerned, Victoria breaks from Layover once its plot begins to unspool, but it took me on a similar journey by throwing me directly into the lives of its characters, a journey I really appreciated by the time it ended."
Thanks given by:
Pyro.Kitty (02-11-2016), Vincent Dawn (03-10-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013
Yorkshire, UK

I disagree with the review as well, i thought it was a superb film.
Thanks given by:
Dubstar (02-11-2016), Pyro.Kitty (02-11-2016), Vincent Dawn (03-10-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 08:24 PM   #4

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbenesh View Post
The review for this title is now up, and all I can say is that I couldn't disagree more about the assessment of the movie -- everyone has their opinion, but for me Victoria is one of 2015's finest films. For anyone interested, below is the review I wrote for the film on Letterboxd:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerby View Post
I disagree with the review as well, i thought it was a superb film.
^ give both of these men a gold star.
Thanks given by:
Vincent Dawn (03-10-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 12:22 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2013

Looks like I'll be picking up the UK release since Kino decided to go MPEG-2 and lossy audio.
Thanks given by:
lolwut (02-22-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 12:43 AM   #6
Power Member

Dec 2015
TN, USA

I loved this movie and hope It gets picked up by someone like Plain Archive, Filmarena, Nova, etc etc.
Thanks given by:
Pyro.Kitty (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 01:19 AM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2011

It was a good movie up until the
[Show spoiler]robbery scene
. Afterwards, it felt cliche and contrived, very Hollywood style. I was very disappointed with it. The chemistry between two leads was good, though.

Luckily, Phoenix has put my faith back in German cinema.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:39 PM   #8
Power Member

Feb 2011
Tempe, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post
It was a good movie up until the
. Afterwards, it felt cliche and contrived, very Hollywood style. I was very disappointed with it. The chemistry between two leads was good, though.

Phoenix is a triumph, can't wait for that to come out on Criterion.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:40 PM   #9
Power Member

Feb 2011
Tempe, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro.Kitty View Post
^ give both of these men a gold star.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:06 AM   #10
Power Member

Dec 2015
TN, USA

https://vimeo.com/127295922

This functions as a better trailer IMO.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbenesh View Post
I think the review is spot on. After reading several raves, I found the film dissappointing and tedious. The entire film is reverse engineered around the gimmick of shooting it in one take and the film shows why editing is so essential to pacing a film. Every scene in Victoria goes on about three times longer than it should, so the actors can get from one place to the next and hit their cues. Despite the lead actress doing a great job, I simply didn't believe the increasingly dubious choices she makes. The film tries to explain that with her being lonely, but I didn't buy it. Everything she did was in the service of the one shot conceit, to give the film exciting things to follow with its camera.

The film isn't even the first to feature this particular gimmick, if anything Mike Figgis' Timecode is far more impressive, doing the same thing four times on the same screen, with several story lines interweaving.

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; 02-16-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #12
Expert Member

Jan 2013
Cologne, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi92 View Post
Looks like I'll be picking up the UK release since Kino decided to go MPEG-2 and lossy audio.
MPEG-2 might not be the culprit here, it's outdated alright, but it doesn't mean necessarily bad PQ. Many problematic releases, but also pretty good ones (e.g. US rel. The Descent, 4,5/5, they went with MPEG-2 & DTS-HD MA 7.1).
But you got a point there, I totally not see how this codec is still in use, either

About lossless audio (not referring to anyone personal, in general) I think it's somewhat overvalued, unless given extremely fine sense of hearing and top notch equipment. Much often the noticeable difference is due to having a tad more punch to it, a matter of mixing more than lossy/lossless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post
[Show spoiler]It was a good movie up until the
. Afterwards, it felt cliche and contrived, very Hollywood style.
I was very disappointed with it. The chemistry between two leads was good, though.
Disappointed as well, Laia Costa was totally amazing though. Also the soundtrack is a blast for anyone who is/was somewhat into clubbing

Quote:
I was about to say 'good luck with that', then I noticed the 'Razz
Old 02-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #13
Banned

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
I think the review is spot on. After reading several raves, I found the film dissappointing and tedious. The entire film is reverse engineered around the gimmick of shooting it in one take and the film shows why editing is so essential to pacing a film. Every scene in Victoria goes on about three times longer than it should, so the actors can get from one place to the next and hit their cues. Despite the lead actress doing a great job, I simply didn't believe the increasingly dubious choices she makes. The film tries to explain that with her being lonely, but I didn't buy it. Everything she did was in the service of the one shot conceit, to give the film exciting things to follow with its camera.

The film isn't even the first to feature this particular gimmick, if anything Mike Figgis' Timecode is far more impressive, doing the same thing four times on the same screen, with several story lines interweaving.
I agree with you and the review.

Though I did enjoy it and I thought the 2 lead actors was very good, I didn't think the single take thing added ANYTHING to the film at all and it would've been a much more tense experience if it had been made traditionally and they edited at least half an hour out of it.

If it had've been fast paced her stupidity may have been believable, but with so much time for her to think of outs it just ruined the whole experience and made me want to slap her/all of them.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:59 PM   #14

Apr 2011

Honestly, I think this was one of the most harrowing films of the year. Made my Top 10 List for 2015!
Old 02-22-2016, 02:27 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2011
Virginia, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi92 View Post
Same. Kino strikes again...
Old 07-04-2021, 09:35 PM   #16

Nov 2019

Should I rent the US BD or wing it and buy the UK BD?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
victoria