Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Halloween 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$104.99
6 hrs ago
Bullet Train 4K Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$42.99
1 day ago
The Return of the Living Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
6 hrs ago
Bullet Train 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99
22 hrs ago
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
6 hrs ago
Starship Troopers 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Spider-Man: No Way Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Where the Crawdads Sing (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Lost Highway 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

When Marnie Was There (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Disturbing Behavior (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate this movie
5 9.43%
20 37.74%
12 22.64%
11 20.75%
5 9.43%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2022, 04:08 AM   #121
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016
Sweden

if you just saw this and didnít know who the director was, you would probably think it was a fairly interesting and semi engrossing arty horror flick.

but coming from the director of ex machina and annihilation, (which were my favorites movies of the year they came out) it just feels disappointing. chances are, anything he put out after those first would be a disappointment. so it might be unfair to compare this with his previous movies.

itís hard to think of a comparison. maybe going from texas chainsaw massacre to eaten alive. itís still serviceable. or maybe going from it follows to under the silver lake.

this doesnít mean it is necessarily a bad movie. but when youíve had kobe beef, even good grocery store roast beef is a letdown.
Thanks given by:
eselv73 (05-23-2022), tcripe (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 04:30 AM   #122
Blu-ray Champion

May 2021
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkchopexpress View Post
if you just saw this and didnít know who the director was, you would probably think it was a fairly interesting and semi engrossing arty horror flick.

but coming from the director of ex machina and annihilation, (which were my favorites movies of the year they came out) it just feels disappointing. chances are, anything he put out after those first would be a disappointment. so it might be unfair to compare this with his previous movies.

itís hard to think of a comparison. maybe going from texas chainsaw massacre to eaten alive. itís still serviceable. or maybe going from it follows to under the silver lake.

this doesnít mean it is necessarily a bad movie. but when youíve had kobe beef, even good grocery store roast beef is a letdown.
Do you think it could partly be due to the shift away from sci-fi?
Old 05-23-2022, 09:46 AM   #123
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2019

You mean the same director made two very different films? Wow! Mind. Blown.
Thanks given by:
Gacivory (05-23-2022), jhan8185 (06-08-2022), MattJ1991 (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 06:37 PM   #124
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by unberechenbar View Post
Do you think it could partly be due to the shift away from sci-fi?
i donít think itís that. he has shown to be a more than competent filmmaker, so there is one reason to think he could only work in one genre. and he has talked about being a huge fan of walter hill, who never made (directed) a sci fi movie. (i might be wrong, but one doesnít come to mind)

and itís not like ďwell you need a scriptĒ because he wrote the scripts for ex machina and annihilation. those are just objectively better designed and executed movies on every level.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:44 PM   #125
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
i donít think itís that. he has shown to be a more than competent filmmaker, so there is one reason to think he could only work in one genre. and he has talked about being a huge fan of walter hill, who never made (directed) a sci fi movie. (i might be wrong, but one doesnít come to mind)

and itís not like ďwell you need a scriptĒ because he wrote the scripts for ex machina and annihilation. those are just objectively better designed and executed movies on every level.
Walter Hill is the credited Director for Supernova.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:59 PM   #126
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2020
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:

Here we go. No such thing as objectivity when it comes to anything to do with the quality of a film.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:15 PM   #127

Dec 2007
Tucson, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
As the Producer, he also REALLY wanted to direct Alien. 20th Century Fox wouldn't let him...
Old 05-24-2022, 03:37 AM   #128
Special Member

Dec 2010

just saw it, and enjoyed watching it very much even if the ending and the themes need to be explained to me like a school child!

[Show spoiler]So... this happened in real life? or in her head because she was dealing with trauma? Is there a religious aspect to it with the forbidden fruit, as I am not a religious person, all religious allegory's are lost on me. The friend being pregnant at the end felt important, but I don know why?!

Can someone just explain it to me like I'm two!

But straight up, Rory Kinnear deserves a damn Oscar for his performance(s) in this flick!
Old 05-24-2022, 09:58 AM   #129
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPudge View Post
just saw it, and enjoyed watching it very much even if the ending and the themes need to be explained to me like a school child!

[Show spoiler]So... this happened in real life? or in her head because she was dealing with trauma? Is there a religious aspect to it with the forbidden fruit, as I am not a religious person, all religious allegory's are lost on me. The friend being pregnant at the end felt important, but I don know why?!

Can someone just explain it to me like I'm two!

But straight up, Rory Kinnear deserves a damn Oscar for his performance(s) in this flick!
Feel the film. Don't rationalize it. It's like Lynch in that way.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:19 PM   #130

Jan 2019
Canadian Rockies

I really enjoyed it. I don’t know too much about Garland, but writing seems to be his strong suit, so I’m sure he’s more than we’ll aware of the reactions he’s going to get from the script. He probably set out knowing this would ruffle some feathers in the ‘woke crowd’ which is kinda hilarious. Other than that it was completely gorgeous and hypnotic in tone, which made for a delightful night out at the cinema.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:53 PM   #131
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2009
The Road to Nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxoplasmic View Post
I really enjoyed it. I donít know too much about Garland, but writing seems to be his strong suit, so Iím sure heís more than weíll aware of the reactions heís going to get from the script. He probably set out knowing this would ruffle some feathers in the Ďwoke crowdí which is kinda hilarious. Other than that it was completely gorgeous and hypnotic in tone, which made for a delightful night out at the cinema.
He is a well respected published Author who wrote one of my favorite books of the 90's "The Beach".
Old 05-25-2022, 01:41 AM   #132
Special Member

Nov 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbs2034 View Post
Not in Firestarter that I recall. But vaguely remember it in the trailer (maybe edited out of final film)
I have not seen the film, but it was in the trailer for sure.

Enough with the crow abuse I say!
Old 05-25-2022, 09:10 AM   #133
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2013
ME

Tomorrow is my only chance of seeing this during a matinee, so fingers crossed! Friend of mine saw it yesterday and had a blast with it, even though he did say it's a little one note.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:32 PM   #134
Expert Member

Nov 2021
Cabinet

I went to the theater to see this again with my friend and some Mother brought her 7 or 8 year child in there and the child was screaming and crying fun theater experience.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:09 PM   #135
Blu-ray Jedi

Aug 2011
Simping For The Ladies

After tomorrow my theater has this playing twice starting at 6:30pm. So glad i saw it opening weekend.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:11 PM   #136
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Lawrence Fan View Post
After tomorrow my theater has this playing twice starting at 6:30pm. So glad i saw it opening weekend.

My theater opted not to get this. And is instead continuing to show Firestarter, Sonic 2, and will clear out the showtimes for Top Gun this weekend.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:27 PM   #137
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010
Sparta, Laconia

By next week this should probably leave theaters (itís down to 1-2 showings already) so Iíll hold out for digital which should get here sooner than expected.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:06 PM   #138
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
heís the credited director for a movie known more for studio meddling and having undergone reshoots with another director and a third director was brought in to work on editing. iím sure everyone stayed true to his version. that must be why he used a pseudonym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit Blanc View Post
Here we go. No such thing as objectivity when it comes to anything to do with the quality of a film.
i hate to break it to you, but some films are better than others. shocking, i know. but thanks for adding literally nothing to the discussion of the movie. what would we do without you?
Old 05-25-2022, 11:20 PM   #139
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2012

Quote:
heís the credited director for a movie known more for studio meddling and having undergone reshoots with another director and a third director was brought in to work on editing. iím sure everyone stayed true to his version. that must be why he used a pseudonym.

i hate to break it to you, but some films are better than others. shocking, i know. but thanks for adding literally nothing to the discussion of the movie. what would we do without you?
Yeah, if a director is granted a pseudonym credit, it typically means major interference to the point that they donít feel they should be credited, so I wouldnít even consider it their film. On the flipside Snyder is still even the sole credited director on theatrical cut of Justice League, and Dune I think is an interesting case where David Lynch got a pseudonym credit on the heavily edited TV showings.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:13 AM   #140
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
he’s the credited director for a movie known more for studio meddling and having undergone reshoots with another director and a third director was brought in to work on editing. i’m sure everyone stayed true to his version. that must be why he used a pseudonym.
Nevertheless, he is still credited director on a sci fi movie.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies