Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
True Romance 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
10 hrs ago
The Evil Dead Groovy Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.48
19 hrs ago
Evil Dead (Blu-ray)
$12.16
13 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.87
2 hrs ago
Batman 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Chernobyl 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.64
1 day ago
My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission (Blu-ray)
$19.96
7 hrs ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

No Time to Die 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

The Last Waltz 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
The Green Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.95

The Flight of the Phoenix (Blu-ray)
$20.45
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 11-12-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007
Default LG BD390 is the new reference player in speed, beats the OPPO and PS3

According to the Home theater review the LG BD390 is the fastest standalone BLU-RAY player every used by the reviewer. The LG BD390 is faster at loading java based BLU-RAY discs compared to the OPPO and PS3 BLU-RAY players. The LG BD390 is the new reference player in the area of speed. The LG video processor passed all the important tests but the DVD upscaling quality is not as good as the OPPO and modern 2009 Panasonic models. Also the Pioneer BDP-320 BLU-RAY player DVD scaling outperforms the LG BD390. The LG player also lacks a legacy 480I S-Video output.

The LG BLU-RAY player includes 1GB of built in memory for BD-LIVE and also offers built in wireless network connection for those consumers that do not have wired LAN's. The LG BD390 is ideal for people that want the fastest speed in navigation and loading discs. Also people that like Netflix, YouTube, CinemaNow, and VUDU streaming content would be interested in the LG.

Here are some select quotes from the November 2009 Home Theater review

"The BD390 is the fastest Blu-ray player Iíve ever used. Its startup time rivals the PS3 and the OPPO BDP-83 at less than 20 seconds. Even with the most Java-intensive titles, youíll be at the main menu in less than a minuteónow thatís fast."

"Blazing-fast loading of discs, even on Java-intensive titles"

"Netflix, YouTube, and CinemaNow streaming"

"The BD390 is BD-Live compliant with 1 gigabyte of internal memory, which can be expanded by using the USB port on the front panel."

"My only beef with the rear panel is the lack of a second USB input to attach an external drive."

"It offers internal decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio and sends it via HDMI as PCM or analog from the 7.1-channel output to a receiver or surround processor. For newer AVRs that offer onboard decoding of the advanced codecs, the LG can also send lossless bitstreams, but the secondary audio with PiP and the clicks and beeps in the menu will be lost in the translation."

"Configuring the player to connect to my wireless network was a snap. Unlike the Samsung BD-P4600, the LG found my network on its first try. Wireless performance is spotty in my home theater because of its distance to my wireless router. Once I tested the connection, I decided to hook up an Ethernet cable for the remainder of my time with the BD390 to ensure the fastest possible hookup."

"The BD390 was an excellent performer in all of our HD video processing tests, even on difficult 1080i 2:2 content found on most concert discs."

"The only downside to the BD390ís video performance is its scaling ability, which is only average when going from 480i to 1080p"

"The BD390 has improved its video processing over the BD300, but its scaling of DVDs doesnít measure up to the category leaders, Pioneer and OPPO. But if youíre looking for a player thatís lightning fast in its user interface and offers a bevy of media streaming options (now including VUDU, which was announced as we went to print), this one is worth a look. Recommended."

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 11-12-2009 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
Special Member

Jul 2008

I'm intrigued by the 390, but put off by some reports of lip sync issues.

Also, I think you misinterpreted the statement in the review about startup time. It doesn't say that the LG beat the PS3 and Oppo by 20 seconds. To rephrase their statement: the LG has a startup time of less than 20 seconds, which is as good as or better than the startup time of the PS3 and Oppo.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I'm intrigued by the 390, but put off by some reports of lip sync issues.

Also, I think you misinterpreted the statement in the review about startup time. It doesn't say that the LG beat the PS3 and Oppo by 20 seconds. To rephrase their statement: the LG has a startup time of less than 20 seconds, which is as good as or better than the startup time of the PS3 and Oppo.
Yes the less then 20 seconds sounds like the startup time. The OPPO startup time is 12 seconds. Thanks for the post. I corrected the post to say the LG is faster then the OPPO and PS3 at loading discs. The reviewer mentioned the LG is faster at laoding discs compared to the OPPO and PS3 but did not say how much faster. Might only be a few seconds.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:38 AM   #4

Sep 2009
San Diego, CA

Well the most important thing is picture and audio quality! Everybody on here swears by the OPPO. Some bring up DVD audio playback but let face it that is not as important the performance of the blu Ray disc. So how does the 390 measures up?
Old 11-12-2009, 05:52 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
Well the most important thing is picture and audio quality! Everybody on here swears by the OPPO. Some bring up DVD audio playback but let face it that is not as important the performance of the blu Ray disc. So how does the 390 measures up?
For BLU-RAY disc playback the LG BD390 is close to the quality of the OPPO. DVD quality is not as good on the LG. LG has really improved on its video processor compared to the BD300.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 11-12-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:11 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Dagobah

I'm interested in the overall PQ on this for blu-ray's as well. I have slim PS3 now but am considering getting a standalone for Christmas. I wonder how it stacks against the PS3 in pq and aq?
Old 11-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #7

Feb 2009
TX

I bought the Samsung BD-P1600 3 days ago. Watched Up on blu and the PQ was almost the same as the PS3 60GB. But returned it last night since I've read so many people reporting problems with the 1600. So I exchanged it for the LG BD-390. Once I got home, hooked it all up and watched Up again for the 2nd time and the PQ was outstanding. In my opinion, it was better than the Samsung DB-P1600 and the PS3. I'm really glad that I made the exchange and went with the BD390. Load times were fast as well. So far, I tried Up, Iron Man, Transformers, and Monsters, Inc. PQ was excellent compared to the PS3.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
Power Member

Nov 2007
Shillington,PA

I bought the 390 over the summer and returned it. I wasn't impressed with it and the wifi didn't work. I'll stick with my Oppo
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders