Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wild Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99
18 hrs ago
The Addams Family 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.71
1 hr ago
SeaQuest DSV: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Wild Things (Blu-ray)
$29.99
4 hrs ago
The Northman 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

RoboCop: The Series (Blu-ray)
$36.99
18 hrs ago
Friday the 13th 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.14
1 day ago
Killing Eve: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
George Carlin Commemorative Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.80
1 day ago
The [REC] Collection (Blu-ray)
$38.64

Hell High (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
The Last Duel 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International

Old 10-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #101
Power Member

Mar 2011

I watched Cinderella tonight, tbh i didn't really notice the mistakes when it was moving as much besides the glowing orb she rides away in I think it still should be corrected though. No complaints about the colors, the points where its blue is due to the lighting of where they are, like when they are outside. Now heres my question the part where she is leaving, why could I see his hand when he held onto her arm? In the first post it said it was missing?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #102

Jun 2012
The Netherlands

Thanks again Lnds500 for the screenshots of Hercules! Hopefully the Blu-ray will follow soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfreak View Post
Now heres my question the part where she is leaving, why could I see his hand when he held onto her arm? In the first post it said it was missing?
Well... that's probably because, when it's moving, a little before and a little after when his hand is missing, it's very well possible that some outlines "escaped" the revisionism!... This way some details are appearing and disappearing, depending on the frame at hand, and that's of course not as it was intended.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:16 AM   #103
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012

I know I said I would stay off this topic but I noticed something I though I would share

Band Concert Restoration by puppyjonathan, on Flickr
The left is from the treasures while the right is from Have a Laugh!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #104

Jun 2012
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyJonathan View Post
I know I said I would stay off this topic but I noticed something I though I would share
You're very welcome to visit "us" from time to time!...
Quote:

Interesting. It seems they're using the original, more natural colors now, instead of the bright, popping ones. If only they would do the same for their Classics (Cinderella comes to mind)!...
Old 10-22-2012, 12:58 AM   #105
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy2 View Post
You're very welcome to visit "us" from time to time!...

Interesting. It seems they're using the original, more natural colors now, instead of the bright, popping ones. If only they would do the same for their Classics (Cinderella comes to mind)!...
I don't know why, I love how red the reds are and how blue the blues are in the Treasures remaster. I'm glad it looks like little to no damage (after all, it is probably the most colorful Disney short) but I just thought the contrast of colors is dark, it doesn't bother me for the classics, but why for this?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #106
Power Member

Sep 2010

This is a troubling trend.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #107
Power Member

Mar 2011

We really can't debate colors there starting to restore from the original prints, thats most likely what the original colors were.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #108
Expert Member

Oct 2009
U.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfreak View Post
We really can't debate colors there starting to restore from the original prints, thats most likely what the original colors were.
Precisely, and this is a running theme of threads such as this. It's entirely subjective to judge the faithfulness of a film/cartoon based on what "looks right" or nice. The only thing one can do is gather information about how those film elements were originally photographed, and the conditions involved.

As such, darker transfers like the example below tend to be more authentic as the brightness hasn't been boosted. We're so used to high contrast and overly brightened video these days that anything dark is seen as requiring correction.

Same thing with the Star Wars remasters - too much brightness and all of a sudden the matte lines are exposed more.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #109
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Detroit, MI ~ USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyJonathan View Post

theres more detail in the one to the right, look at the bushes/trees on the right...I do think it could be something in the middle though of the two
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #110

Aug 2008

I just got this Blu-Ray in the mail, it has a collection of Disney shorts themed around christmas. Will be interesting to see these classics in HD!

http://www.platekompaniet.no/Error/d...itter_Blu-ray/

I can't find this release on Amazon or this site, is this disc out in the US or other regions? (and sorry if this is off-topic)
Old 11-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #111
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrune View Post
I just got this Blu-Ray in the mail, it has a collection of Disney shorts themed around christmas. Will be interesting to see these classics in HD!

http://www.platekompaniet.no/Error/d...itter_Blu-ray/

I can't find this release on Amazon or this site, is this disc out in the US or other regions? (and sorry if this is off-topic)
It's a bit off-topic. Come here instead and tell us what you think. I'm very eager to see how these look

btw, the title is already in the database
Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #112
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

I have updated wasim h's comparison with screen-shots from the European Blu-ray release of Peter Pan (DVD screen-shots are wasim h's)

14) Peter Pan (1953)

------2003 DVD ----------- 2007 DVD -------- Blu-ray (EU) ------- Blu-ray (US)

Last edited by Lnds500; 02-02-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #113
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

^

Every single one of these is "403 forbidden". But is the comparison any good? Does the European BD look good?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #114
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumny View Post
^

Every single one of these is "403 forbidden". But is the comparison any good? Does the European BD look good?
Yeah, I deleted and re-uploaded them, otherwise they are a nightmare to manage by copy-pasting. They are ok now.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #115

Jun 2012
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnds500 View Post
I have updated wasim h's comparison with screen-shots from the European Blu-ray release of Peter Pan (DVD screen-shots are wasim h's)
Hello again Lnds500!

And thanks a lot for this great comparison! Thanks again to wasim h as well of course!

I'm happy to see these pictures. It confused me when it was said they used the same restoration as the Platinum one, as that one was horribly blurry, as you can tell in this comparison.

The BD restoration, while similar in appearance at first, is a whole lot sharper than not only the 2007 Platinum one, but even the 2003 edition! Colors and contrast are close to those of the Platinum version, but not quite the same: they're in between the two old ones. It's easiest to see this difference in color, which is consistent through all these shots, in the screenshot of Tink: the 2003 Special Edition was "kinda cold", the 2007 Platinum Edition was "overly warm", the 2012 BD is... well... I would say just right!...

So why are some people waiting for the rumors of a "new restoration" on the US edition?... Having seen this one now, I highly doubt that will happen, as I think this one is great!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #116
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

Quote:
So why are some people waiting for the rumors of a "new restoration" on the US edition?... Having seen this one now, I highly doubt that will happen, as I think this one is great!
The press release of Peter Pan states that it's gonna get a "new restoration", unlike Cinderella or LatT
Old 12-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #117

Jun 2012
The Netherlands

Quote:
The press release of Peter Pan states that it's gonna get a "new restoration", unlike Cinderella or LatT
Yes, but what makes you think ours is not already that "new restoration", as it is clearly not the same as the Platinum one, so...
Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #118
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Yes, but what makes you think ours is not already that "new restoration", as it is clearly not the same as the Platinum one, so...
Actually, it's clearly the same as the Platinum one.

Even if the contrast is different (which I'm not so sure about - it might be an illusion cause by the black bars on the side or the fact the screenshots were taken in different PCs), changes are much more apparent on new restorations. Colours change, detail which has been lost becomes apparent again etc etc (check the Aristocats comparison)

Here's a good example of a new vs old restoration (both from DVDs) [open them in new tabs to see the difference]

[Show spoiler]

Beyond the obvious AR change, the colours are completely different (some more subtly, others are totally different)
Old 12-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #119

Jun 2012
The Netherlands

Quote:
Actually, it's clearly the same as the Platinum one.
Are you serious?...
Quote:
changes are much more apparent on new restorations. Colours change, detail which has been lost becomes apparent again etc etc (check the Aristocats comparison)
I know about the Aristocats...

But regarding the colours: have you compared, for example the shots from Tink and those where they're standing before the clock; they're clearly not the same colour, are they?...

And even more important, the sharpness: all the Platinum shots were horribly blurry and out of focus, like or even worse than the Aristocats, don't you agree?... Whereas the BD is perfectly sharp and detailed.

Quote:
Here's a good example of a new vs old restoration (both from DVDs) [open them in new tabs to see the difference]

[Show spoiler]

Beyond the obvious AR change, the colours are completely different (some more subtly, others are totally different)
You are right. But look for example at the Bambi BD-restoration: it was officially announced as a new restoration, and in some parts it really was different, but for most parts it looked very similar. What I mean to say is that, while a lot of "new restorations" are radically different than the ones before, some are just "improvements" on the previous one. And in this case, those "improvements" really are improvements, or am I mistaken?...
Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #120
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Are you serious?...
yeah that's what I think anyway, you don't have to agree with me.

Quote:
But regarding the colours: have you compared, for example the shots from Tink and those where they're standing before the clock; they're clearly not the same colour, are they?...

And even more important, the sharpness: all the Platinum shots were horribly blurry and out of focus, like or even worse than the Aristocats, don't you agree?... Whereas the BD is perfectly sharp and detailed.
The colours are the same, at least they look the same to me. Like I said before, the only thing I have doubts about is the contrast. The Blu-ray shots sometimes look like they have higher contrast but this could be cause the DVD screenshots are presented in a white frame while the BD shots have black frames (I've read countless times that white borders diminish the contrast, that's why most TV screens with borders have black frames).

The sharpness and detail are inherent to the Blu-ray. I don't know why the DVD was blurry even by DVD standards -maybe it was a bad transfer from master to DVD, I don't know, I guess that some DVDs were just blurrier than others.

Quote:
You are right. But look for example at the Bambi BD-restoration: it was officially announced as a new restoration, and in some parts it really was different, but for most parts it looked very similar. What I mean to say is that, while a lot of "new restorations" are radically different than the ones before, some are just "improvements" on the previous one. And in this case, those "improvements" really are improvements, or am I mistaken?...
I don't have most of the Platinums so I can't compare them to the BDs (I am trying to find them to do so). Bambi is one of them, I have only seen 1 comparison picture of it, so I can't comment on whether it carried the "new restoration" label rightfully or not.

Based on the pictures I've seen, I just have one question. It looked similar cause it was the same restoration or was it similar cause they didn't change as many things (colour-wise) as -let's say- Sleeping Beauty?

To conclude, I don't dismiss the opinion that Disney might serve us the same restoration they put out on the DVD and claim it is a brand new restoration, I just find it extremely curious that they would do something like that. This BD (to my eyes at least) looks like the same restoration we got on the PE. No improvement whatsoever except of course for the resolution and sharpness bump which were a given. So, I'm waiting to see what that "new restoration" has in store for us.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International